Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Plastic exterior moldings

Search this Thread

Old 6/16/06 | 12:34 PM
V6 Member

Plastic exterior moldings

Does anyone else have fading on their black plastic exterior moldings?

I am wondering if it's the sun or my wax, protective coatings, etc.

If so is there a product that will bring back the black sheen?
And that will protect it better then some other product?
Old 6/16/06 | 12:45 PM
I Have No Life

Use Mothers Back to Black. The fading you see is most likely caused by wax or some other sort of chemicals you have used on the car.
Old 6/17/06 | 05:27 AM
Bullitt Member

The Back to Black works great for this. To keep it black, I also like Mequiars Gold Class Vinyl/Rubber Protectant.
Old 6/17/06 | 08:20 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the quick response. I had no idea what to use and it looks horible since I got some over wipe from my Rejuvx
Old 10/14/06 | 05:55 PM
RCW
Legacy TMS Member

"Mothers Back To Black" is Great!

I am another extremely satisfied customer.

I have driven my 05 GT as a "daily" driver since she was delivered in January of 05. I suppose due to the constant Texas sun, I was experiencing fading along the door / window trim and both door mirror plastic housings. I have applied "Aerospace 303 Protectant" several times which would temporally solve the problem as well as protect the surfaces. However the color fading would still come back.

After reading the suggestions of others in this forum, I decided to try "Mothers, Back -to- Black." WOW, the product brought back the deep, rich black color to the plastic pieces better than I was expecting.
I even think the finish looks better than when she was delivered new! It was easy to use and did not take any time at all.

I highly recommend "Mothers, Back -to- Black" for those of you who may be experiencing the same problem.

RC
Old 10/14/06 | 07:25 PM
Bullitt Member

I use a cloth soaked with WD40..You'll be amazed how much better it looks! Removes wax stains also
Old 10/17/06 | 09:14 AM
V6 Member

Mothers Back-to-Black is safe for any color of plastic, rubber or similar trim, and it's even good on your satin black windshield wiper arms. Be sure to buff lightly after your final application (if you've got older trim and need multiple applications), or it may streak a little if it rains soon after.

Try using it on all of your trim before you polish and wax -- you'll be glad you did.
Old 10/18/06 | 08:05 AM
GT Member

I use BlackMagic Trim/Tire. It's a really thick stick gel that you rub in and buff off the trim. It works well. I also use it as a tire dressing, and it works a LOT better than any of the foaming sprays that I've tried. Use a rag or, better yet, one of those curved foam tire-cleaner applicators. It stays on the tires for more than a week and shines like crazy.
Old 10/19/06 | 06:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by V8Mike
I use BlackMagic Trim/Tire. ...
I believe this product has silicone in it (made from tire rubber). Never put silicone based products on your car. It is like crack for your rubber products. The more you use it, the more you will be forced to use it again. Just like Armor All. Your plastic pieces might as well be smoking a crack pipe. Also, the silicone can spin off of these products and get in your paint.

I highly recommend 303 Aerospace protectant for all Rubber and Plastic pieces. Amazin' stuff.
Old 10/20/06 | 11:45 AM
Bullitt Member

For those of who who do not wish to buy the back to black to get rid of the wax on black trim here is a simple solution. Peanut butter. I kid you not. Take a little peanut butter spread it where the wax residue is and wipe off with a paper towel. presto the wax is gone. i didnt believe it either till i tried it.
Old 10/21/06 | 10:33 PM
Team Mustang Source

Joey Green has Tons of great ideas
http://www.wackyuses.com/uses.html
Old 10/23/06 | 05:41 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by flashfearless
I believe this product has silicone in it (made from tire rubber). Never put silicone based products on your car. It is like crack for your rubber products. The more you use it, the more you will be forced to use it again. Just like Armor All. Your plastic pieces might as well be smoking a crack pipe. Also, the silicone can spin off of these products and get in your paint.

I highly recommend 303 Aerospace protectant for all Rubber and Plastic pieces. Amazin' stuff.

Ouch, thanks. Right into the garbage! It says something like 100% silicone right on the bottle. Live and learn
Old 10/24/06 | 07:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by flashfearless

so this would be something good to use on a grey plastic molding? i've got a ZJ Grand Cherokee that has that large grey molding all the way around the bottom of it, and i think it would look a ton better if i did that up with some kind of shine