Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Paint damaged by stone thrown from truck

Search this Thread

Old 6/6/14, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paint damaged by stone thrown from truck

No luck! My first road trip, Florida turnpike, to visit dad before Father's Day, and a construction truck threw a stone which hit my 2014 GT. I couldn't believe it when I heard the excruciatingly horrible sound! Then when I was inside my dad's home they decided to check the water sprinklers in his area. They dowsed my car with hard water leaving mega-water marks in the hot sun. I'll post a couple of pictures of the stone damage. so, if anyone has advice on how to fix these problems I'd be grateful. The car isn't even a month old yet.
Attached Thumbnails Paint damaged by stone thrown from truck-img_1161.jpg   Paint damaged by stone thrown from truck-img_1165.jpg  
Old 6/6/14, 10:06 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry but a car driven will get more of the same.
Old 6/6/14, 10:18 AM

Yes, I do understand this. I just was hoping it would not have happened quite this soon. And I'd like some advice on the best way to fix the chips in the paint. One is through the clear coat and fairly deep. I should have done a search before posting. Thanks anyway.
Old 6/6/14, 11:09 AM
Bullitt Member

With all the metallic in the paint I would imagine a shop would need to re-shoot the whole panel. Since it's on the pillar it shouldn't cost too much to have it repainted.

Last edited by mcate; 6/6/14 at 11:13 AM.
Old 6/6/14, 11:23 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
cheapest solution would be dr chip. once u do it, u will hardly notice it.
Old 6/6/14, 11:33 AM

Thanks. I was afraid this would be the case. It is small, but to fix it right I'd need the whole A pillar painted. I don't want to repaint my car every time I get a nick in the paint. But this one is very noticeable on the passengers side. And I don't want to start a rust spot.
Old 6/6/14, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by CiniZter
cheapest solution would be dr chip. once u do it, u will hardly notice it.
Dr. Chip...never heard of them. I live in Florida. Are they a small chain or something? I'll Google them or if you have a website or address for them I'd be interested. If you're not supposed to publish this type of info maybe you could PM me. Thanks!
Old 6/6/14, 12:07 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Those can be touched up. Dr . Colorchip.
Old 6/6/14, 02:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by NickMac14
Dr. Chip...never heard of them. I live in Florida. Are they a small chain or something? I'll Google them or if you have a website or address for them I'd be interested. If you're not supposed to publish this type of info maybe you could PM me. Thanks!
http://www.drcolorchip.com/

just look up your color code. if i remember correct it should be J4.
Old 6/6/14, 03:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LIttle bit of touch-up paint and done. You'll be the only one to ever notice it .. until you forget about it too ...

I was washing my car few weeks ago. I put the hood up while I had the wiper blades up ... OMG .. scratched the heck out of my hood edge. I was really mad at myself. I touched up the edge with the OEM touch-up paint from dealer .. and the defect is now impossible to see.

Last edited by dmhines; 6/6/14 at 03:29 PM.
Old 6/6/14, 05:38 PM

Well, thanks for the help and stories of your scratches and touch-ups. I feel somewhat better knowing others have had similar types of damage and it was easily repaired, looked good, and has been forgotten about. My wife told me committing harakiri wasn't necessary! Hopefully, I'll post some repair pix soon.
Old 6/6/14, 06:46 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I know it's frustrating man but it happens. I'm finding most of my chips on my windshield these days.
The worst part is the sound it makes when it hits. I've been late to work looking for where the stone hit for peace of mind.

Stay away from gravel trucks and don't get too close to other cars
Old 6/6/14, 06:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I have also had excellent results with dr color chip. I think I ordered the silver pkg which came with the paint, pre paint solution, mf cloths, brushes, etc. and it's been more than enough. So I'll have more for future issues.

I also have DIB and the match was perfect.

Side note, I ordered my 13MY from out of state and it had been on the lot for a couple of months. The very mild swirls it has drive me nuts. And the small rock chip I got on the bumper less than 1mm away from the edge of my clear bra ending is also annoying. Bottom line, **** happens, lol. I'd be happy to get it out of the way early. Now future ones won't feel as bad.

Last edited by typesredline; 6/6/14 at 07:04 PM.
Old 6/8/14, 12:11 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I need to get some Dr. Colorchip soon. I have been getting some random rock chips lately.
Old 6/12/14, 11:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Mine has 3 rock chips, 1 next to front headlight, wheel well, mirror.
I can say one thing, the paint seems a lot thinner than my truck that I bought in 02
Old 7/27/14, 12:47 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NickMac14
Yes, I do understand this. I just was hoping it would not have happened quite this soon. And I'd like some advice on the best way to fix the chips in the paint. One is through the clear coat and fairly deep. I should have done a search before posting. Thanks anyway.
Ugh, I had my 2013 GT (DIB) for less than a week when an oncoming gravel truck dropped a rock that took a big ole chunk of paint off my rear quarter panel.

You basically have several options:

1.) Dr. Colorchip - will put color in the chip and reduce visibility of the chip, but will leave the crater. Best for small chips and "road rash". Doesn't work well with larger chips as the crater is easily visible. Extremely easy to use.

2.) Langka - will fill the chip with paint and with some practice will allow you to get a decent fill/level. Is better with moderate to large chips. Similar to wet sanding but much safer/easier. Easy to use.

3.) Wet sanding (a process of filling the chip and then sanding it down level with the surrounding paint). You can get very good results, but is also much, much harder to do without damaging your paint by over sanding.

However, none of these methods are going to produce perfect results. Especially with metallic paint as the metallic bits will never lay down in a similar pattern to that which is achieved with a spray gun.

I would suggest trying either langka or finding a detailer that will wet sand for you for a reasonable cost (I have a guy that does it for about $50). If you're very motivated and want to learn to wet sand, you'll want to go to a junk yard and find something to practice on.

If you want "perfect" results, you'll have to get it repainted.

Last edited by MilesTeg; 7/27/14 at 12:49 AM.
Old 7/27/14, 04:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MilesTeg
Ugh, I had my 2013 GT (DIB) for less than a week when an oncoming gravel truck dropped a rock that took a big ole chunk of paint off my rear quarter panel.

You basically have several options:

1.) Dr. Colorchip - will put color in the chip and reduce visibility of the chip, but will leave the crater. Best for small chips and "road rash". Doesn't work well with larger chips as the crater is easily visible. Extremely easy to use.

2.) Langka - will fill the chip with paint and with some practice will allow you to get a decent fill/level. Is better with moderate to large chips. Similar to wet sanding but much safer/easier. Easy to use.

3.) Wet sanding (a process of filling the chip and then sanding it down level with the surrounding paint). You can get very good results, but is also much, much harder to do without damaging your paint by over sanding.

However, none of these methods are going to produce perfect results. Especially with metallic paint as the metallic bits will never lay down in a similar pattern to that which is achieved with a spray gun.

I would suggest trying either langka or finding a detailer that will wet sand for you for a reasonable cost (I have a guy that does it for about $50). If you're very motivated and want to learn to wet sand, you'll want to go to a junk yard and find something to practice on.

If you want "perfect" results, you'll have to get it repainted.
I concur with Miles.

The only way to keep a car chip, swirl and scratch free is to hermetically seal it in a bubble, in a garage and never, ever drive it.
Old 7/27/14, 05:33 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Or clear bra the whole thing.
Old 7/27/14, 05:40 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
..at least the rock missed the windshield.
Old 8/12/14, 01:19 AM
V6 Member

Will dr colorchip work with scratches? When I checked on my car I saw that someone scratched it and it looks like they did it on purpose. The scratch is deep and it gets on me when ever I see it, because it's on top of the hood.

Last edited by fivepoint00; 8/12/14 at 01:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Paint damaged by stone thrown from truck