Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Outdoors...

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/11, 10:20 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outdoors...

Well long story short, after some arguments with my parents I've moved out..I've been living with an ex girlfriend at her apartment, and the only thing I can complain about it there isn't any covered parking. My car has always been garage kept, and I'm afraid for rust/paint damage. I've considered a car cover but the apartments aren't in the best part of town so I don't want to draw THAT much attention...(I'd wake up in the morning, take the car cover off, see my car sitting on blocks with no hood etc...well that would be a nightmare). I don't have the option to move at this time, but are there any other stang owners that aren't garage kept that can give me some tips? I have flat black stripes so I'm not sure if I can put wax on them...I've heard something about clay bars, could someone explain those as well? Thanks for the help guys!
Old 10/10/11, 10:32 AM
Bullitt Member

I live in a moderately sketchy part of town. Fortunately my car is garaged all day at work, but at night I'm on my own. I do use a car cover- think about it, if someone's going to mess with the car they have to go to the trouble of uncovering it first to see if there's anything worth messing with. People tend to go for an easy mark- like if the car is unlocked or they can see something inside they want. Everyone in my hood who has a decent car has a cover on it.
As far as the stripes, no, I would not wax them. And clay bar is something you do a couple times a year- just google it. But long story short, when you feel the paint start to feel a little gritty, you give it a good wash and dry, then clay bar treatment (you can buy it at any car part store), then polish and wax. They have good clay bar how-to videos on you tube.
Old 10/10/11, 11:06 AM
GT Member

Thanks for the reply. Another fear of mine is that they will just steal the cover...are there any special covers that can "lock"? And I've never used a clay bar, so I'll try that. Are clay bars okay on flat paint? My window seems to have a permanent sticker print on it, any ideas how to remove it? I've scrubbed it A LOT. The last question is about the rust...I plan on keeping this car a long time, I love the 05-09 S197 style. In 5 years or so I'm going to get a new complete paint job, and an engine swap(can't decide on a built 4.0 or trying a bee coyote) basically swap out everything. But until then I want it has classy and beautiful as possible. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out!
Old 10/10/11, 06:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by ThatMattGuy
Thanks for the reply. Another fear of mine is that they will just steal the cover...are there any special covers that can "lock"? And I've never used a clay bar, so I'll try that. Are clay bars okay on flat paint? My window seems to have a permanent sticker print on it, any ideas how to remove it? I've scrubbed it A LOT. The last question is about the rust...I plan on keeping this car a long time, I love the 05-09 S197 style. In 5 years or so I'm going to get a new complete paint job, and an engine swap(can't decide on a built 4.0 or trying a bee coyote) basically swap out everything. But until then I want it has classy and beautiful as possible. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out!
Wow you must be in a hella scary area! I don't know about actual locking car covers but where there's a will there's a way- it's actually not a bad idea. I would look for a cover with grommets (I got mine for $29.99 at Auto Zone and it has grommets) then if you can find a piece of thin cable like they use in bike locks, that could possibly be run through the grommet holes and under the car. It'd be a PITA but if it keeps people leaving your car alone it's worth it.
Clay bar on flat paint: I would guess that it's fine, but there's people here that know much more than I do. If you don't get a definitive answer call a detail shop and ask.
Easiest way to get that sticker print out is to machine buff it. They can do it at any body shop if you don't have the equipment. But I had actual scratches on my window on another car that were buffed out- no biggie.
Where is the rust located and how much? If it's a small amount, you can do some research and deal with it yourself- there's a great site that has everything you need to do small paint and rust repairs - gotta find that web address... Or a detail shop can handle that. Look around too- I had horrible deep scratches all under my front bumper, and I found 2 local guys who have a small business to come fix it for $245. Looks like it never happened, and this was BAD. If it's a lot of rust... Probably body shop
Old 10/10/11, 06:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Okay. Check this: http://www.amazon.com/Covercraft-ZCB.../dp/B0002M8QP2

For paint touch up: www.paintscratch.com
Old 10/10/11, 06:38 PM
Bullitt Member

One more thing - if you do not have rust, you are not necessarily going to get it if you take care of the car. Just being outside is not a shoo-in for rust. Keep it clean, keep It covered, keep it properly washed and waxed. I'm a little overkill on my car, but I wipe it down every single day when I get home before I put the cover on- especially painted areas you can't see. Clay bar a couple times a year. Wash at least 2 x a month (I wash every week) and wax about 4x a year. Keep an eye out for any chips and head off rust before it starts by using touch up. Any time your car is a daily driver, it won't stay perfect, but you can keep it darned close. my car is almost 8 years old and I have people every week thinking it's brand new...
Old 10/10/11, 06:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Given the replys, I'm saying:

Move.

/That's what I'm doin'. I want a garage, so I'm outta here soonest I can.
Old 10/10/11, 08:20 PM
GT Member

Wow, thanks for the really informative replies! I like the idea with the car cover, and I'll ask around for a machine buff thing. The apartments themselves aren't bad...it's just the fact that right across the street is one of the worst parts of the town, and we don't have surveillance..
Old 10/11/11, 04:58 PM
Detailing Guru

I vote to keep it waxed, and to NOT use a cover. Make sure you're insurance is up to date and your comprehensive deductible is low (as always) and live life.
Old 10/11/11, 10:43 PM
Bullitt Member

I just moved from a house with a garage to one without... sux
Old 10/13/11, 08:31 PM
Bullitt Member

I would put the locking car cover on there, i believe AmericanMuscle.com might have some. As for the window ive found that clay barring the windows gets rid of anything on the surface of the windows
Old 10/13/11, 09:40 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Costco has a nice cover with cable/grommets for a lock from CoverKing at a reasonable price. Costo.com. I have two for two diff vehicles and they're a perfect fit.

Also, I had to rent a storage unit for about 3 months down in the valley when my Bullitt first arrived because of too much snow up here in the mts. to bring it home. Maybe there's one close to you that you could bicycle/walk/bus/taxi too? Cost me about $50/month with a month free, no contract.