Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Opticoat on wife's new wheels, complete

Search this Thread

Old 3/10/14, 03:53 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Opticoat on wife's new wheels, complete

Going to mount the wheels on her car this weekend. Therefore, I had to make sure they were all opticoated before I put them on.

Process was to wash and clean them to remove any factory oils and residue and other dirt. I used amazing roll off and a soft sponge. Dried them. Then went to town on the opticoat using a foam pad. About 6 drops to prime, then 3 drops per quarter of a rim. Made sure I wiped down the high spots before they flashed. Took about 20 minutes. I love this stuff. Any surface you want protected, use it.
Attached Thumbnails Opticoat on wife's new wheels, complete-image-650848155.jpg   Opticoat on wife's new wheels, complete-image-940332938.jpg  
Old 3/10/14, 03:54 PM
I Have No Life

And here's the finished product, all ready to go.

Btw, temp was 60 today, so I did it outside... Perfect weather.
Attached Thumbnails Opticoat on wife's new wheels, complete-image-2235954994.jpg   Opticoat on wife's new wheels, complete-image-1610582494.jpg   Opticoat on wife's new wheels, complete-image-2707716342.jpg  
Old 3/10/14, 06:39 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I am almost 1000% sure no one has ever put in the time detailing their prius as you have with just her wheel. And I'm talking about cummulative for them!
Old 3/10/14, 07:00 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,235 Posts
Good job Burton.
Old 3/10/14, 07:52 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by StangMahn
I am almost 1000% sure no one has ever put in the time detailing their prius as you have with just her wheel. And I'm talking about cummulative for them!
Haha… amen to that. But really though, it didn't matter what she drove. It could be a Kia or a Smart car or a Ferrari. I'd do the same thing. It's a total love for "cars". That's my disease, and I'm proud to be infected

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Good job Burton.
Thanks Tony… lotta work
Old 3/11/14, 04:57 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Moving to 'Car Care' section, but will leave a link for 5 hours . . .
Old 3/11/14, 09:13 AM
Detailing Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So clean, and they're going to stay that way.
Old 3/11/14, 09:26 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by MarcHarris
So clean, and they're going to stay that way.
Thanks Marc! Hey you know what's funny, for fun, I opticoated my iPhone face. Should have done it from day 1. Lesser fingerprints and smoother. Lol
Old 3/11/14, 09:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
burton.. does opticoating wheels help in cleaning up the break dust.
Old 3/11/14, 10:47 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by CiniZter
burton.. does opticoating wheels help in cleaning up the break dust.
Absolutely. That's the whole intent of it. Permanent sealant, in essence. Not only does it minimize brake dust, it makes it very easy to clean. The best part though, is how it significantly reduces those rust specs from the brake dust that adheres to your wheel surface. Those are caused by iron particles from the brake pad and rotor oxidizing when it hits water from the winter. So couple to that the salt and dirt and crap that never gets washed off, then it turns into rust. The only way to remove them as with the Claybar or Clay pad.

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/11/14 at 01:48 PM.
Old 3/11/14, 01:04 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
it sounds so tempting.. i m sold.. i will get mine done.
Old 3/12/14, 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never heard of Amazing Roll Off before but I just ordered some.
Old 3/12/14, 07:30 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm buying new wheels soon, where's a good place to get the opti-coat?
Old 3/12/14, 08:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Here is a product I have been recently using on my wheels and its great. Wal Mart sells a bottle for just under $7 dollars. You just spray it on the wheels after they are washed. Its a clear coat spray and it keeps brake dust, road grime and dirt from sticking onto the wheels. Think of it, as like butter spray or PAM on a pan. It keeps the food from sticking onto the pan when cooking.

This clear coat spray helps keep brake dust and road grime from sticking onto the wheels. What dirt and brake dust does get onto the wheels , its super easy too clean off by wiping or spraying water.

I have had it on my wheels for two weeks now and the brake dust and road grime is minimal and its a great product.

Highly recommend!
Old 3/12/14, 08:57 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Sorry, forgot picture

Name:  ForumRunner_20140312_225715.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  19.5 KB
Old 3/12/14, 09:01 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Burton, are you coming to Vancouver BC anytime soon Show me some detailing tricks and in exchange I'll give you a truck load of wine grapes
Old 3/12/14, 10:03 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by RubyRedMCA_Beast
I've never heard of Amazing Roll Off before but I just ordered some.
Best stuff to clean pretty much everything. Wheels, tires, trim, engine degreaser, rubber mats, etc. let me know what you think of it.

Originally Posted by StangMahn
I'm buying new wheels soon, where's a good place to get the opti-coat?
Anywhere online. Autogeek or even amazon should have it. Detailer's Domain too.

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Here is a product I have been recently using on my wheels and its great. Wal Mart sells a bottle for just under $7 dollars. You just spray it on the wheels after they are washed. Its a clear coat spray and it keeps brake dust, road grime and dirt from sticking onto the wheels. Think of it, as like butter spray or PAM on a pan. It keeps the food from sticking onto the pan when cooking. This clear coat spray helps keep brake dust and road grime from sticking onto the wheels. What dirt and brake dust does get onto the wheels , its super easy too clean off by wiping or spraying water. I have had it on my wheels for two weeks now and the brake dust and road grime is minimal and its a great product. Highly recommend!
With respect, I've been detailing professionally for over 15 years... And please don't mention armor all or any other walmart type products to me . None of that stuff will ever touch my car, nor will I ever use that cheap crap on my customer's cars. I mean that as well... We've done plenty of studies where we tried those turtle wax type products, and you truly get what you pay for. There's truth in "technique trumps product", but in this case, no. You can use it if you want, but please start another thread on your own. This thread is about opticoat and I'll gladly help others learn more about it.

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
Burton, are you coming to Vancouver BC anytime soon Show me some detailing tricks and in exchange I'll give you a truck load of wine grapes
The way your car looks Darren, I don't think it needs any detailing. You might have to give me a lesson or two of your own . But I do like the wine idea.
Old 3/12/14, 11:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5

Best stuff to clean pretty much everything. Wheels, tires, trim, engine degreaser, rubber mats, etc. let me know what you think of it.

Anywhere online. Autogeek or even amazon should have it. Detailer's Domain too.

With respect, I've been detailing professionally for over 15 years... And please don't mention armor all or any other walmart type products to me . None of that stuff will ever touch my car, nor will I ever use that cheap crap on my customer's cars. I mean that as well... We've done plenty of studies where we tried those turtle wax type products, and you truly get what you pay for. There's truth in "technique trumps product", but in this case, no. You can use it if you want, but please start another thread on your own. This thread is about opticoat and I'll gladly help others learn more about it.

The way your car looks Darren, I don't think it needs any detailing. You might have to give me a lesson or two of your own . But I do like the wine idea.
I'm sorry if I offended you or anyone here by mentioning another product that kept brake dust and road grime off of wheels. After reading the OP's post and mentioned how brake dust was greatly reduced I felt my post was related and was just passing on my findings of another product that helped reduce brake dust off wheels.

I'm certainly not a professional detailer and clearly don't have your knowledge about car cleaning products. The product mentioned is not a Wal Mart product and its sold in a variety of automotive retail stores , not just at Wally World. I'm sorry you don't care for Armor All products. I can only say this product has been working for me and can see a difference in the amount of less road grime and brake dust stuck too my wheels.

If you don't want too use it for your personal vehicles or your customers vehicles, then DON'T. Respectfully, I don't care either way. I was just passing on information in regard to a related wheel care product that helps protect one's wheels.

On a side note, I already did create another thread just after my original post here.

Last edited by 2011 Kona Blue; 3/12/14 at 11:56 PM.