Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Newbie Car Care Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 6/26/06, 05:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie Car Care Questions...

I want to take care of my 07 GT the best I can. I've never waxed a car before, and my idea of hand washing a car is using an old towel and a hose (normally I do the touchless washes). I'm eager to learn. So I've got lots and lots of questions I hope someone can answer, or point me to a good FAQ or something:

1. Waxing? How exactly do you wax a car? Step by step idiot proof details would be nice.

2. Type? What type of wax is good? I hear rave reviews about Zaino, but is Meguires Gold any good? Zaino I have to order online. Meguires I can go 1/2 mile down the road to Autozone to get. But, again, I want the best I can get with reasonable effort. I don't have 3 hours to buff out one bumper.

3. Supplies? What type of supplies do I need? Leave no detail out. Chamois? Towels? Claybars? Elbow grease?

4. Hints? Tips? Tricks?

EDIT: Want to get into interior maintinence as well...

5. Leather care. What is a good type of leather conditioner to use? Is it safe on the Mustang's non-leather seat parts?

6. Dash/arm rest care. What can I use to keep these parts looking new?

7. Glass care. Again... whats a good product to use here? Windows will be tinted sooner or later.
Old 6/26/06, 06:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by WarBird69
I want to take care of my 07 GT the best I can. I've never waxed a car before, and my idea of hand washing a car is using an old towel and a hose (normally I do the touchless washes). I'm eager to learn. So I've got lots and lots of questions I hope someone can answer, or point me to a good FAQ or something:

1. Waxing? How exactly do you wax a car? Step by step idiot proof details would be nice.

2. Type? What type of wax is good? I hear rave reviews about Zaino, but is Meguires Gold any good? Zaino I have to order online. Meguires I can go 1/2 mile down the road to Autozone to get. But, again, I want the best I can get with reasonable effort. I don't have 3 hours to buff out one bumper.

3. Supplies? What type of supplies do I need? Leave no detail out. Chamois? Towels? Claybars? Elbow grease?

4. Hints? Tips? Tricks?

5. Leather care. What is a good type of leather conditioner to use? Is it safe on the Mustang's non-leather seat parts?

7. Glass care. Again... whats a good product to use here? Windows will be tinted sooner or later.
1. This will be different depending on what you get, follow manufacturers instructions.

2. I use Zaino and it works great, but this is a loaded topic that people take WAY too personal. I have seen fantastic results from Meguires also ( I think Robello uses it and he gets AWESOME results)

3. I got the Zaino kit had everything except micro fiber towels. Not all microfiber towels are the same.

4. I just follow the instructions and do not do it out in the sun, find a shady place and start with a freshly washed and claybarred car.

5. I have cloth, so I have no opinion on this.

6. They are plastic in mine, I use the Meguires interior detailer.

7. For glass care, I use Rain-x
Old 6/26/06, 07:53 PM

4. Hints? Tips? Tricks?

My vote goes for Zaino wax/polish. Rather than type for an hour go to this website, I really trust these guys and the products rock.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

I know Zaino recommend Cotton, but the microfiber stuff is much better.

For the dash and arm rest try 303 protector
Old 6/27/06, 08:08 AM
Team Mustang Source

I haven't tried Zaino, but have been using Meguiars for many years with good results. First, claybar your new car. You will be amazed how much crud you will remove. On my Laser Red 99GT I did a three-stage cleaning/waxing routine a couple times a year and racked up many car show awards with it. First I used Meguiars clear coat cleaner to remove the tiny scratches you get with washing your car. Then I used their polish to give the car some pop. Then I finished with their Gold Class Wax.
For the interior I use Meguiars leather cleaner/conditioner. Seems to work well.
For plastic and rubber (including my top and tires) I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. The secret with 303 is after applying it you have to remove as much as possible. It won't air dry like a lot of protectants.
Anything else?
Old 6/27/06, 08:13 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a list of supplies that I would recommend for cleaning and polishing your car;

1. Meguairs Car Wash
2. Two car wash buckets.
3. Large Car Wash Sponge or Car Wash Mitt (preferably two).
4. Meguairs Drying Towel - the towel will remove all the rinse water from the car.
5. Meguairs Microfiber Towel for removing wax/polish.
6. Meguairs ScratchX oir NuFinish Scratch Remover.
7. Meguairs nxt generation TECH WAX (very important item).

Suggestions for washing your mustang,

1. Rinse the surface dirt off the car prior to actually washing the car, use the end of the hose do not use an attached sprayer. The sprayer will only get more water on the car than necessary and will be more of an effort to get it off.

2. Wash the car. Use two buckets, one with Meguairs car wash in warm water and in the other plain water. The bucket with plain water is used to rinse the sponge or wash glove prior to loading up the sponge glove with the car wash solution. Each time you wash the car with the sponge or mitt it picks up dirt particles, if these particles remain on the sponge or wash glove when you reload then you risk the chance of fine scratch marks on the paint when you reload with the car wash solution and reapply it to the car's finish. The key then is to place the sponge or mitt in the bucket of plain water and swish it around a few times to knock off any dirt. ** When you are finished washing the car empty the rinse bucket and see how much dirt is in the bottom of the bucket.

3. Rinse the car using the end of the hose without an attached sprayer.

4. Use a Meguair's Drying Towel or similar product to remove the excess water. You will find if you use the Meguair's Drying Towel, the towel will not leave any water marks.

5. Let the car sit for twenty minutes to ensure the car is dry.

6. If you notice any light scratches on the clearcoat use Meguair's ScratchX, you may have to apply it a few times to remove the scratch. A piece of an old terry towel works really good for removing the ScratchX product.

7. I have used a few car waxes on my new mustang since April, 2005, I have found the best product for the clearcoat finish is Meguair's nxt TECH WAX. You can get the product in either a paste or liquid form. A light application of the tech wax is all that is required. This product should be removed with Mequair's Microfiber polishing towels. Use should use two, one for removing the wax and the other for polishing to a very reflective shine. You will fine that the wax will give your car a deeper, clearer shine.

** I am not a Meguair's Rep. These are just the best products I found for cleaning and waxing the vehicles exterior. MEGUIAR's Canada - My Car

** Many of the Meguair's products cannot be bought in your local stores but they can be bought online.

Ray Spencer
Old 7/6/06, 10:03 PM
Bullitt Member

I use the Meguiars products from start to finish. Start with Gold Class car wash (I use a sheepskin mit), then use their paint cleaner, next is pure polish, and finish up with 2 coats of NXT. I prefer high quality microfiber over cotton for each of these steps.
Old 7/21/06, 04:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Another question....

Zaino is a polish, while Meguires is a true wax. What is the difference?

With either Zaino or Meguires, if I start with one, will I have to strip my car (with Dawn) before I switch to the other?

And what are the pros and cons of oth products?
Old 7/24/06, 05:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Another question....

Zaino is a polish, while Meguires is a true wax. What is the difference?

With either Zaino or Meguires, if I start with one, will I have to strip my car (with Dawn) before I switch to the other?

And what are the pros and cons of oth products?
Both Zaino and Meguires will protect your paint, and both are good products. Zaino is more expensive, but those who use it swear by it. I like to wax my car every couple of months and have great faith in the Mequires line of products, and so that is what I use. Each manufactor's website has great info on using their respective products.
Old 7/30/06, 08:34 PM
GT Member

I just did mine for the first time with Meguiar's NXT Generation Liquid, and Holy Crap! It's gorgeous. I run my finger along it and, no kidding, it feels like silk. Not a single rough patch, and it's smoother than my bathroom mirror. QUALITY STUFF!!!

Just one tip for the newbie (because I'm one too). Wear a baseball cap while you wax. Otherwise you'll get a good sweat going and it'll drip on your car as your waxing or buffing. I don't think it'll do much damage, but sweat is salty, and I'm thinking you probably don't want it in the wax. Just my 2 cents...
Old 7/31/06, 06:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangster
I prefer high quality microfiber over cotton for each of these steps.
..I've concluded that it is next to impossible to remove with cotton. You almost have to use the microfiber...unless you want to be rubbing all day..
Old 7/31/06, 07:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Any suggestions on the brand of microfiber towel? Don't want to get something that will leave micro-scratches in my paint!
Old 7/31/06, 08:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Any suggestions on the brand of microfiber towel? Don't want to get something that will leave micro-scratches in my paint!
I thought that the one that came in the Meguillar's clay kit did a great job...
Old 8/1/06, 05:21 PM
GT Member

Yeah, the one from Meguiar's was great. By the way, another comment about Meguiar's, AWESOME, again. Two coats, and it felt and looked great. Then, it rained. I had to drive my baby through it, but the storm stopped 1/2 mile from my house. By the time I pulled into the garage, not a SINGLE DROP ANYWHERE. Water just rolled right off. Nice.

Meguair's NXT Generation Liquid Wax - AWESOME!!
Old 8/1/06, 07:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Tedz Pony

Meguair's NXT Generation Liquid Wax - AWESOME!!
Tonight, I went to do a little bit of touch up, hit it with the Meguillar's NXT Quick Detailer, and gasp! I didn't realize my car had a bit of brake dust on it. Either the GO hid the brake dust from me somehow, or I am just blind and I didn't see it until I saw it on my rag.

What's the amount of risk that you would take with brake dust? A fine amount is OK to hit with the quick detailer, or get out the hose first?

I had a brake dust problem on my '95 so bad it would practically coat the rear end of the thing...Dealer said that it would slow down after 10K miles. It never did...
Old 8/4/06, 12:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm all about Meguairs, but I use a 100% Cotton Made in USA towel from Bed, Bath and Beyond per the Zaino car care tips.

Over a year and no swirlies.