Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Need Help With My Car

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/06, 10:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help With My Car

hey guys,
Ok i'll make this as short as possible. I live in Miami, and just bought my GT in April and have been dilligently trying to keep it washed and cleaned as much as possible. However, I'm concerned with keeping the paint and clearcoat PROTECTED as well as keeping it clean. We have such erratic weatehr down here, and its summer and then Hurricane season, that i want to make sure that my paint will be able to stand the scorching hot 90+ days and the waterfall-like downpours we get all the time.

I went and bought a Meguiar's Gold Wax kit, and tried to wax my car this weekend. I'm a rookie when it comes to waxing, but I think I did something wrong. When I applied the wax in circular motions to the car, I then went back and tried to go over it with a polishing cloth and sometimes it was hard to remove... in some places, I just couldnt remove the streaks, so I was wondering if you guys could give me some pointers?
Old 6/19/06, 11:56 AM
NJ3
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some waxes are more difficult than others to apply without steaking. I find that by going over the car with Meguiar's Quick Detail spray afer waxing it will eliminate the streaks.
Old 6/19/06, 12:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Sounds like you didn't let it dry long enough. The Gold Class wax is very sticky, so you have to let it dry completely before trying to wipe it off. If you're doing it in a garage (like I do), let it dry a good hour before wiping it. If you have to do it outside, find some shade, apply the wax in sections and let it dry 10-15 min. If you have access to a buffer, that helps too.
Old 6/19/06, 01:05 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

hit it with a quick detail or meguiars finishing touch after you remove all of it as a final coat of anything this will help lock in the wax and make it look even better (also get rid of the hard to remove haze youre talking about)

but to protect your paint really well, apply several coats of wax.
Old 6/19/06, 01:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Did you apply in the sun? That'll cause all kinds of problems. Also high heat and humidity can make things tricky. Try going back over it (in the shade) with another very light coat. Do one section at a time, and buff out with a quality microfiber or all cotton towel. I have found Gold Class is generally easy to use, and should give you the protection you want.
Old 6/19/06, 01:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

In that hot sun, you need Zaino. If you want something that lasts and doesn't evaporate off your 5,000 degree paint its your best option. Just ask around for other opinions on Zaino from those who use it and you'll see.
Old 6/19/06, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by TJ4Cam
In that hot sun, you need Zaino. If you want something that lasts and doesn't evaporate off your 5,000 degree paint its your best option. Just ask around for other opinions on Zaino from those who use it and you'll see.
you people still pushing Zaino? I thought that fad went out last summer and everyone moved on to Adams, I guess it hasnt made its way back East yet. Zaino is great, but not as godly as the way some people I hear on here talk about it.
Old 6/19/06, 06:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by rrobello
you people still pushing Zaino? I thought that fad went out last summer and everyone moved on to Adams, I guess it hasnt made its way back East yet. Zaino is great, but not as godly as the way some people I hear on here talk about it.
Never said it was godlike, but its the most durable product I have seen yet, can anyone disprove that?
Old 6/20/06, 07:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by stangster
Did you apply in the sun? That'll cause all kinds of problems. Also high heat and humidity can make things tricky. Try going back over it (in the shade) with another very light coat. Do one section at a time, and buff out with a quality microfiber or all cotton towel. I have found Gold Class is generally easy to use, and should give you the protection you want.
Yeah i think that was my problem, it was about 4:30 in the afternoon and the son was out but wasnt TOO burning, there were clouds because it was going to rain. Weather then was mid-high 80s. I'll try it later in the evening or earlier in the morning next time.

So I should generally let the wax sit a little longer too right? Thanks for your advice guys.
Old 6/20/06, 11:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Reminisce
Yeah i think that was my problem, it was about 4:30 in the afternoon and the son was out but wasnt TOO burning, there were clouds because it was going to rain. Weather then was mid-high 80s. I'll try it later in the evening or earlier in the morning next time.

So I should generally let the wax sit a little longer too right? Thanks for your advice guys.
Yes, let the wax dry before you take it off. I usually go over it again with a polishing cloth as a final step.
Old 6/20/06, 12:03 PM
Retired Tms Staff

apply the wax and then wait at least 30 minutes. Then using your finger, just rub along a small area of the car. Does the was come off easily or does it leave a streak look? If you still see a streak let it dry a little more.
In the future, if you have the same issue don't worry about running out to get some quick detailer. Just wash the car down like you normally do. That will remove any excess wax.
Old 6/20/06, 04:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
I use Mequiars Gold Class Wax. I live in Phoenix where the summers are very hot although the humidity is in single digits usually. I do not wax my car in the summer because of the heat. Since you live also in a warm climate (Miami), why don't you just wax your car any other time than summer? That will help solve some of your waxing problems. Other people around the country wax their cars in the summer because thats the only time they can. Also if you can wax it in the shade that helps. I have found that the Mequiars takes a long time to form a haze. In fact, I apply it to the whole car before I buff it off. When I buff it off, I use Mequiars Microfiber towels and keep turning them over so you always are using the cleanest part of the towel. I buff the whole car about three times with three different microfiber towels. The first one takes off the biggest layer of wax, then the next two take off the remaining wax. the final towel I use to really buff it off and make sure it has a nice shine. It is also a good idea to only wax your car right after you wash it and the metal should not be hot, so in our warmer climates that probably means to wash and wax it in the morning as opposed to the afternoon. I wash my car with the compatible Mequiars Gold Class Car Wash. I think it helps make the wax last longer. I wax my car about five times a year. I hope this was helpfull to you. Sorry for being so longwinded. Enjoy your car!
Old 6/20/06, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by TJ4Cam
Never said it was godlike, but its the most durable product I have seen yet, can anyone disprove that?
I was kindof making a joke, and I never said you said it was godlike I said some people on this forum talk about Zaino as if it were. Have you tried Adams yet? Its the latest of cleaning fads.
Old 6/22/06, 07:38 PM
GT Member

I know this has probably been discussed in other threads but not in this one and might also be part of the problem--in addition to the amount of time needed for the wax to dry the wax might be put on a little heavy...heavy coat of wax=harder to remove. Here's what works for me--when you apply wax or polish (remember, they're not the same) be sure to spread the product over the surface evenly and in thin coats, in this case more isn't necessarily better it just makes it take longer to dry. +1 on waxing in the coolest temps possible and be sure to apply them in the shade.
Old 6/23/06, 07:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Rob O
I know this has probably been discussed in other threads but not in this one and might also be part of the problem--in addition to the amount of time needed for the wax to dry the wax might be put on a little heavy...heavy coat of wax=harder to remove. Here's what works for me--when you apply wax or polish (remember, they're not the same) be sure to spread the product over the surface evenly and in thin coats, in this case more isn't necessarily better it just makes it take longer to dry. +1 on waxing in the coolest temps possible and be sure to apply them in the shade.
Ok thanks for all the tips guys, I've jotted them down in my memory, its the weekend, and Im going to give it another shot. One last question, should I polish before or after I wax? Or should polish come in another wash session altogether?

Sorry for all the questions, along with keeping the car looking clean, i want to keep the clearcoat and paint protected as long as I possibly can. I've seen this South Florida weather tear through paint jobs before that weren't taken care, and I dont wanna be one of those victims.
Old 7/18/06, 09:38 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rrobello
I was kindof making a joke, and I never said you said it was godlike I said some people on this forum talk about Zaino as if it were. Have you tried Adams yet? Its the latest of cleaning fads.
I have never heard of Adams. Do you think it will be for sale in Fl. any time soon? I'm always willing to try new products