Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

My dashboard is melting!

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/05, 12:51 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought an aerometrics vent airfreshener from Walmart. It is made by Valvoline. Had no trouble with the Glade brand but couldn't find them this time. Anyway backed the car out of the garage to wash and got occupied for a couple hours with company. Went out to move the car in the shade to wash and the dang air freshener burped out of it's little bottle, out of the holder and dripped down across my vent control and onto the area behind the shifter under the controls. The paint or whatever they have on the ***** is melting along with the plastic dissolving behind the shifter. I blotted it off but they are hopelessly damaged. I got mad and called the company. She was really calm, didn't try to convince me it was my fault or anything. So apparently they have maybe had this happen before ?? Anyway they are sending a claim form, wanted pictures and said to get an estimate and they would pay the repairs. DON"T BUY THIS PRODUCT UNLESS YOU NEVER PARK IN THE HEAT.
Old 7/13/05, 12:54 PM
Cobra R Member

I've had this happen before in my GF's truck with the vent mounted liquid freshener. Buy the hanging tree fresheners or another hanging type. They may not last quite as long, but they're cheap and efficient........and don't screw up the car.
Old 7/13/05, 12:56 PM
GT Member

i like the smell of zaino's leather cleaner applied to the seats haven't needed an airfreshener yet
Old 7/13/05, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Exactly what I do. Leather in a bottle... smells just like..... leather in a bottle. Very nice!
Old 7/13/05, 01:16 PM
GT Member

Ouch. Sorry to hear it, whtmule. Fortunately, the company seems to have a decent system for handling customer complaints. I'd be interested in how much Ford wants for the replacement plastics when you get that estimate done. I have two young-uns who can destroy just about anything, and have scarred up the interior of my trade-in. I'm considering renting my neighbor's garage to store my Mustang, just to keep it safe from them.

Your car's specs match my order, btw. Great minds, eh?
Old 7/13/05, 01:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

thanks for the heads up, Allison. I have never used an air freshner in my mustang, yet. In my other cars, I would buy the cheesy TREES, but hang them from my parking break peddle

Old 7/13/05, 01:26 PM
Bullitt Member

In my vintage stang, I use this one you can buy from Lowes/Home depot. It comes in a can. It's called California something-or-other. I slid it under the seat and wedged it up under the spring that tensions the seat release. I'm sure there's a way to secure it in the 05's.

It's the size of a small can of cat food. You just pop the top off. It's a small block of some type of material that's been saturated with scent. The things last forever and smell great. That's what I've used... haven't needed anything yet in my 05. Still enjoy the abundant smell of leather. Sorry to hear about the tale although your discription of how the "air freshener burped out of it's little bottle" has had me rolling on the floor lauging and crying for the last 10 minutes.

It's not a funny thing that happened, and I hope that they take care of you. It's definately been a long day, and the wording was just hysterical! Thanks for the laugh and inadvertantly making my day. Sorry about the problem, and good luck in fixing it.
Old 7/13/05, 01:57 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by SP_51-F1@July 13, 2005, 1:01 PM
Exactly what I do. Leather in a bottle... smells just like..... leather in a bottle. Very nice!

SP Where do you get this "leather in a bottle"???
Old 7/13/05, 02:01 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by StangerX@July 13, 2005, 1:29 PM
In my vintage stang, I use this one you can buy from Lowes/Home depot. It comes in a can. It's called California something-or-other. I slid it under the seat and wedged it up under the spring that tensions the seat release. I'm sure there's a way to secure it in the 05's.

It's the size of a small can of cat food. You just pop the top off. It's a small block of some type of material that's been saturated with scent. The things last forever and smell great. That's what I've used... haven't needed anything yet in my 05. Still enjoy the abundant smell of leather. Sorry to hear about the tale although your discription of how the "air freshener burped out of it's little bottle" has had me rolling on the floor lauging and crying for the last 10 minutes.

It's not a funny thing that happened, and I hope that they take care of you. It's definately been a long day, and the wording was just hysterical! Thanks for the laugh and inadvertantly making my day. Sorry about the problem, and good luck in fixing it.
Yea I know what you mean by the long day. When my son first looked in there and hollered at me with the car running, I thought he said there was a cat under the hood and I thought oh great who's gonna get that outa there??
I'll ck out the stuff at Lowes when I go up to have my tint and sunroof done. I have to drive 250 miles to get to a Lowes.
Old 7/13/05, 02:06 PM
Banned

There's actually stuff you can buy (spray can) that makes the car smell new!

I don't need any of these products, since my car is only 2 months old, plus the Zaino Leather in the bottle rocks!
Old 7/13/05, 02:06 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't stand the smell of any of these products, especially those d amn trees. My wife always seems to want to buy them at the end of the car wash.

UG!

:angry:
Old 7/13/05, 02:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by 97svtgoin05gt@July 13, 2005, 3:09 PM
I can't stand the smell of any of these products, especially those d amn trees. My wife always seems to want to buy them at the end of the car wash.
UG!

:angry:

LOL Vanillaroma.
Whats funny is the people with a forest hanging from thier rear view mirror.

I use one in my pc. the Air coming outta that thing smells like Cig smoke. And since I quit smoking I can really smell it. It works!
Old 7/13/05, 02:19 PM
Bullitt Member

i like the new car smell as it is. i prolly wont buy an air freshener for a very long time
Old 7/13/05, 02:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

The best ones are the Car Jars from Yankee Candle. If you have to use anything, use one of those. The Clean Cotton smells just like fabric softener, nice and fresh.
Old 7/13/05, 02:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Those small sprays are the worst. I had a friend who sprayed them into his car a/c vents all the time. After a while, the vents started to fall apart.
Old 7/13/05, 02:52 PM
FR500 Member

I use Vanilla Trees and hang em on the hood release, nice and ougtta the way.

Why Vanilla? What else smells like exotic dancer perfume?
Old 7/13/05, 02:53 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unless you eat bean burritos every day...I dont' see the need for an air freshner.
Old 7/13/05, 02:56 PM
FR500 Member

That's Me!
Old 7/13/05, 03:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

That hurts, the dash according to another post, is 1600 bucks at least. So look for a good bill to the company if need be.
Old 7/13/05, 03:33 PM
Cobra Member

All the air fresheners do nothing to remove smells, they only mask them. I read an article by a professional car detailer that said to put baking soda in your car to remove the smells. He keeps a bin of it and if he gets smells in his car (Chinese takeout, burrito lunch or whatever) he puts the whole bin in overnight with the lid removed. Every 3 months he sprinkles some into the carpeting, leaves it overnight and vacuums it out the next day. Says it keeps the new car smell in the car forever! I haven't tried it, my car is only a few months old and hasn't been exposed to any smelly stuff yet :P

Quick Reply: My dashboard is melting!