Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Moleskin done wrong?!

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/07, 09:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moleskin done wrong?!

OK, so I paid this local tint shop recommended by my dealer to tint all of my windows to 20%.

I asked them to use moleskin, to avoid some of the problems I've heard about with damage to tint. They said its not necessary on a mustang, but if I wanted it, then extra $40 per window. Seemed like a high rice, but after looking at Tacobill's install, I figured I'd rather pay up than go through that process myself so I did not damage my car!

That was 2-3 weeks ago, car was 1 day old when tinted.

Today I was cleaning the exterior of the windows to get some old water spots off and see some streaking / damage in my front window tint. Seems strange, because with the moleskin, it should not have streaked!

Upon closer inspection, it seems they installed the moleskin ON THE OUTSIDE of the da^n window! WTF. Now I'm going to have to argue about this, get the windows re-tinted, and deal with all the headaches which go along with this. dammit.
Old 4/22/07, 10:37 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if i'm not mistaken the outside channel already has it from the factory.
the addition of moleskin should go on the inside channel, as seen in TacoBill's guide.

it's either they didn't install the moleskin alltogether, or they installed it so low that the upper edge of the plastic channel is exposed..
totally defeats the purpose of having moleskin in the first place.

EDIT: if i remember correctly, Moleskin alone costs $90 USD or so.. the fact that they installed "moleskin" for 40 bucks means they probably used velcro or something :S

EDIT2: Sorry.. mixed up my exchange rates.. moleskin as Mike pointed out is $30 USD
Old 4/22/07, 10:41 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by G.T
if i'm not mistaken the outside channel already has it from the factory.
the addition of moleskin should go on the inside channel, as seen in TacoBill's guide.

it's either they didn't install the moleskin alltogether, or they installed it so low that the upper edge of the plastic channel is exposed..
totally defeats the purpose of having moleskin in the first place.

EDIT: if i remember correctly, Moleskin alone costs $90 USD or so.. the fact that they installed "moleskin" for 40 bucks means they probably used velcro or something :S
Whoa whoa whoa...a moleskin kit is only ~$35 bucks shipped.

Also, I remember reading some threads on this forum that even with the moleskin, some people had some scratches.
Old 4/22/07, 11:40 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by mikes rx
Whoa whoa whoa...a moleskin kit is only ~$35 bucks shipped.

Also, I remember reading some threads on this forum that even with the moleskin, some people had some scratches.
sorry.. had a brain fart there
i could have sworn i paid 90 for it.. turns out i had mixed up my currencies there

as for me.. i had mine around 7 months back.. both windows go up and down on a daily basis.. no scratches yet
Old 4/22/07, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not sure what to do here...or how to figure out if they even installed it?
Old 4/23/07, 01:36 AM
G.T
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by futuresvt
Not sure what to do here...or how to figure out if they even installed it?
simple..
roll down your windows all the way.. and jam your finger in there
you should be able to tell whether you can only feel plastic on the inside, or whether it's padded with the moleskin.
Old 4/28/07, 08:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

I went back to the tint shop today. The "tint tech" tells me that he put the moleskin on himself and he knows there is moleskin on the car. So I tell him, ok, if so, then it is in the wrong location, as it should have been on the inside of the window. he says, no, the moleskin should be installed lower down inside the door. I eventually just took him out to my car to show him, as he was insistent that I must have gotten sand in the window or something, even though I rarely drive with the windows down.

The guy at first was giving me serious attitude but once I took him out to the car and showed him that there was no felt at the point of contact with the window and that that was where the moleskin should have gone, he bacame much more cooperative.

In the end, they installed the moleskin where it should be and re-tinted the front windows... As long as no new scratches show up, we should be golden...