Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Meguiars step by step

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/06, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Meguiars step by step

I am going to the store tommorrow to get some Meguiars products to wash and wax my black mustang. I really don't have any clue on what to get. This will be my first time waxing it and it has some swirl marks in the paint so what Meguiars products should I get? Thank you.
Old 9/17/06, 11:21 PM

They have a three step process that has a debris, polish, and wax. I also would recommend NXT wax.
Old 9/18/06, 05:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
start with the clay bar you will be happy you did
Old 9/19/06, 12:54 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally Posted by Arizona Stang
I am going to the store tommorrow to get some Meguiars products to wash and wax my black mustang. I really don't have any clue on what to get. This will be my first time waxing it and it has some swirl marks in the paint so what Meguiars products should I get? Thank you.
ahhhhhhh crap, I accidentally hit a wrong button and deleted my entire post, since it is late I will now just put together a list of things to use for the outside of the car, if you would like a how to like I was typing up then please feel free to PM me, sorry but its late and I want to get some sleep tonight and I still have some work to do.

ALL OF THE FOLLOWING PRODUCTS ARE MEGUIARS UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED:

clay bar (only if you need it, after car is washed run your hand across paint and if you can feel any ABOVE SURFACE CONTAMINANTS then you need it, if its glassy smooth then you dont; pits and scratches and below surface problems dont apply): SMOOTH SURFACE KIT (has my car on the box...lol) and comes with 2 clay bars, case, detailer and microfiber

Ultra Plush wash mit

2 good size buckets with 2 grit gaurds (2 bucket wash method, PM me for details)

either the versa-angle face brush or a dedicated wash mit (make sure its soft) for the wheels

soap: gold class or nxt shampoo

wheel cleaner: depends on the wheels you have but to be on the safe side; Hot Rims ALL WHEEL CLEANER OR MULTI PIECE

drying:
- 1-2 water magnets
- 1-2 super suede drying cloths (microfiber like chamois)

windows:
- duo-fiber glass super towel (microfiber/cloth)
- Turtle wax Clear-Vue (not sure on the spelling)

Tires:
- Endurance High Gloss Tire Gel
- Curved (to the wheel contour) Sponge applicator

Several Supreme Shine MicroFibers
and several more regular microfibers (anybrand on these)

4-5 High Tech Applicator Pads

Any Billet, or polished/non-chrome metal (also non-clear coated; ie. stock wheels): Mothers Billet Polish, great for tail pipes or any metal surface you want to shine bright

Chrome: Mothers Chrome Polish

For those swirls and scratches: Scratch X

Polish: Show Car Glaze #7

Wax: High Tech Yellow #26

Detailer: Either the Quick Detailer or NXT Speed Detailer

Vynll and trim: (assuming its not faded) Black Magic's Professional Protectant, also works great on the inside once the interior has been cleaned as a nice UV protectant and shiney/wet finish, also use cheese cloth towels to apply, this doesnt leave behind lint. (so get 2-3 of those)

2-3 cloth diaper towels (to apply metal polishes)

and a couple of rags for whatever may come up...lol

Is it a vert?

for some reason I feel like I missing something, but that should get you going on the outside of your car, if you want a list for the interior let me know, I can also give you some helpful pointers and some other neat tools I find to work real well that are very helpful but not essential.

Good luck
Old 9/19/06, 05:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Welcome to autogeek university:

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
Old 9/19/06, 06:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
Originally Posted by flashfearless
Welcome to autogeek university:

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
Great link
if you have never clay bared your car before or have not done it in the past 6 mo or so then you should clay bar it.
http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html
I know several people that clay bar every few months. Over kill or not I have no clue
Old 9/19/06, 11:49 AM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Originally Posted by Glenn
Great link
if you have never clay bared your car before or have not done it in the past 6 mo or so then you should clay bar it.
http://www.autogeek.net/detailing-clay-bar.html
I know several people that clay bar every few months. Over kill or not I have no clue
its only overkill in the sense that if it doesnt need to be done then you are wasting your time and clay bar