Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Meguiar's NXT

Search this Thread

Old 5/29/07, 02:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelTownStang
I was a big fan of NXT, however, the more that I use it, the less I like it. I have a black car, and it consistantly looks greasy after use.
Originally Posted by neil07gt
Sometimes I have a problem with the greasy look with both NXT and 3M Mirror Glaze.
Could you guys be using too much or wiping it off too fast? I don't have a "greasy look" problem with NXT. If applied properly, you should hardly see it. Then it should dry for at least 30 minutes, and it wipes off very easily.
Old 5/29/07, 09:06 PM
GT Member

Yeah same here I do not get a greasy look either... however i get a nice WET look shine that looks really smooth and clear. And to the touch it feels like you are touching a fresh cut sheet of ice (like a hockey rink)it is so smooth, like glass!

I too think you are applying way too much.
Old 5/30/07, 02:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I applied the NXT the same way I applied Klasse:

A tiny drop on a wet applicator pad. The NXT started to gum up the applicator pad (removed the oxidization from the clearcoat and had excess solvents). The Klasse AIO did not have this problem.
Old 5/30/07, 03:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by metroplex
I applied the NXT the same way I applied Klasse:

A tiny drop on a wet applicator pad. The NXT started to gum up the applicator pad (removed the oxidization from the clearcoat and had excess solvents). The Klasse AIO did not have this problem.
Why are you waxing an oxidized finish????

I think something else is going on here...how can you tell there are "excess" solvents in NXT? If we're talking about NXT tech wax, it isn't very abrasive. I can't imagine what it's removing.

FYI, I've never used a wet applicator pad. I can't recall instructions that indicate to use a wet pad.
Old 5/30/07, 03:37 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what's better the paste or spray?
and i've seen three kinds: past, spray bottle, and boxed bottle.
what's the difference?
I use the liquid one and it goes on and off quickly and easily... All protect the same, just different ways of applying it to the car...

I've never used a wet applicator pad.
Nope, me either. clean, dry pad or cotton towel for me.
Old 5/30/07, 04:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe I am using too much. I'll have to try using less next time
Old 5/30/07, 04:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Maybe I am using too much. I'll have to try using less next time
Give it a shot...use a very, very small amount and make sure to let it dry for 30-45 minutes.

It's good stuff, and worth another try. But everyone is different...that's why there are dozens of great products out there.

I've posted this before, and I'll say it again...technique is more important than product. If you properly wash, clay, clean, polish and wax a vehicle (using the right pads and wipes), you could use almost ANY of the brand name products out there and get great results that won't vary very much from product to product.

It's like comparing liquid to paste - some people are just more comfortable applying one vs. the other. But if either is done properly, the results will be pretty much the same.

Just my two cents.
Old 6/5/07, 10:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Iceknyght
I use the liquid one and it goes on and off quickly and easily... All protect the same, just different ways of applying it to the car...

Nope, me either. clean, dry pad or cotton towel for me.
From memory, the paste and bottle are the true wax and the spray bottle is quick wax used in between wax jobs sort of like a quick detailer. At least thats what the bottle says in my garage.
Old 6/10/07, 06:04 PM
GT Member

I use Poorboys Natty Blue Paste wax and love the results...
sorry for poor pics but you'll get the idea

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/8178/dsc00457wp1.jpg

http://img389.imageshack.us/img389/6868/dsc00452kp6.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5968/dsc00450qh2.jpg

Old 6/11/07, 02:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

NXT is good stuff, I have been using Eagle One's Nanowax in both the liquid and spray versions this year with great results....this over a ZPC'd finish of course. I am still in love with Zaino stuff, but I wanted to do a carnauba based product again for at least this year, lovin the depth from it.
Old 6/11/07, 03:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

I was a big fan of NXT, however, the more that I use it, the less I like it. I have a black car, and it consistantly looks greasy after use. To be honest, I've been using NuFinish on and off for years. I have found it to be the most user frienly, with the best results.
Bingo, Steel! Thats been my experience with NXT! In fact I used Meguiar's NXT for the first six months! Ive owned many black vehicles three in the drive right now! What made me switch back to my old reliable ( Turtle Wax Color Cure) was the fact that noticed what I felt was a abnormal amount of dust and pollen cling! I have personally found Turtle wax Color cure, to work great on black Clear Coat! very effective at dealing with swirl marks!.......Plus half the price!..
Old 6/14/07, 08:37 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Figured after using NXT for 2 years I would give my input. NXT comes in paste and liquid forms. Liquid is easier to apply and lasts just as long as the paste. Goes on easy and comes off fairly easy but, even when applied lightly, it tends to leave a greasy film which can easily be removed by either washing the car over again, or using a quick detailer (I prefer using a quick detailer). Depending on how often you wash the car, the water will only bead for a few months (based on the fact I wash the car around three times a week). So, is it worth it. Well the results are pretty good and have been a fan of NXT since it also helps hide small swirl marks, however I got tired of having to constantly wax the car to maintain the look. I switch to Zaino's, and for those that think it is too expensive, it really isn't. You can just use the Z2 and at $14.95 a bottle (which will wax you car around 20 times). All depends on how clear you want it to look. Problem with Zaino, well, not really with Zaino, is any imperfections in the paint, such as swirls, will be enhanced since Z2 does not hide this. You would need to use Z5 Pro to help hide it. Oh, and it lasts more than 6 months.1 bottle of NXT lasts me 1 year on a car that is only used for 7 months of the year. 1 bottle of Zaino Z2 lasted me 2 years and was used on both the stang and also my wifes car. So in the end Zaino's saved me money.
Old 6/26/07, 02:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Paste performs just slightly better than spray on but both look great! I have used 3-4 bottles of the spray on and one can of paste so far. I love all th NXT Generation stuff.
Old 7/6/07, 09:03 AM
V6 Member

IMO the paste doesnt seem to grease as much as the liquid. If you have a greasy spot after application (too much wax) then all you do is take your Mr. Clean AutoDry car wash thing and shoot the area with the filtered water. 90% of the time the greasy spot will come right off and you dont even have to wipe it with a microfiber.
Old 7/6/07, 06:33 PM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have used the liquid and the paste NXT the paste is less greasy to me than the spray but after the first wash it seems to level it out .
Personally i think it is a good thing because paint seems to go dry and burn out on the top layers with age and sun ,if you can keep it moist over a long period of time it tends to last longer .
I use WD-40 to remove the wax in the fall and re-wax the car so it is ready for the spring .The WD-40 removes all the road grime,tar,bug stuff,and old wax and with a new coat of wax on it the paint looks just as good as day one to me .Here's a pic of it just out in the spring .
Attached Thumbnails Meguiar's NXT-mustang07.jpg  
Old 7/21/07, 11:11 PM

I use NTX, only lasts one wash, and after one heavy rain...it doesn't do anytihng.
Old 7/22/07, 03:57 AM
Team Mustang Source

You must be doing something wrong then. Are you washing the car with paint thinner or something??
Old 7/28/07, 12:08 AM
legacy Tms Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse
I use NTX, only lasts one wash, and after one heavy rain...it doesn't do anytihng.
If you use dish washing liquid to wash the car with it will remove all the wax.That could be your problem....if it is pick up some car wash soap thats milder and won't remove the wax .One of the ones that I use is mothers car wash soap ,it seems to work well even with the hard water I have out here .
Old 7/30/07, 05:21 PM

No dude, I use the carwash power washing thingy. Pre-soak, then high pressure soap, then high pressure rinse, then spot free rinse, all I do is dry with "the absorber" then drive off 100mph to get the drops out of the cracks I just waxed it again today, I'll see what it does. Especially with all the rain we're having in San Antonio, you'd figure it'd help. Nope.
Old 7/30/07, 06:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I've never seen any Meguiars product last more than 1-3 t-storms. I bought the NXT only because it was on sale ($13.33) and don't know what to do with the stuff I already have. I've used it on the wheels and exhaust tips. I'm going to stick with Klasse AIO and try Zaino in the future.

Quick Reply: Meguiar's NXT