Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

looking for some advice

Search this Thread

Old 2/23/06, 08:48 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought a Mothers Powerball and some PowerMetal. All I have seen on how to use it is that Chip Foose commercial. Anyone have anything to input on this? Once I use it, how on earth do I clean it? That has been the biggest question I have had. Thanks in advance!!
Old 2/24/06, 12:18 PM
Retired Tms Staff

First question I have, are your rims factory or aftermarket? If they are factory then they are clearcoated. Bring the powerball back. Even the instructions on the powermetal state not to use it on coated rims.

Anyway... the powerball works pretty darn good. I use it on my American Racing TT II's. Attach it to a variable speed drill. Apply some power metal to the ball, not much cause a little goes a long way. Start at a slow speed and work in small sections. Do a small area. The polish will turn black. Slowly speed the drill up to remove the residue. Repeat until you have finished the rim.

Once done, remove the ball and head for the sink. Soak it in water with a little bit of soap. Just keep wringing it out with the soapy water. Once you think it is clean rinse it with clean water. Wring out as much water as you can.

After I am done that I put it back on my drill and spin it to "spin" off as much water as I can. Since my drill stands up on its own (cordless), I leave it on the drill overnight so it can air dry. The next day I put it back into its container.
Old 2/24/06, 12:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have seen this on TV...so it really works well huh? I have the chrome bullets...will it work on that? Is it only to polish or is it to wash as well?
Old 2/24/06, 12:31 PM
Retired Tms Staff

only to polish. If you were to use it on a dirty rim you would scratch the daylights out of it. However, you could use it to apply glaze and/or wax.
Old 2/24/06, 12:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thought so...might have to give it a try [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]
Old 2/24/06, 03:13 PM
Cobra R Member

My wheels are aftermarket's. They are they are: WHEEL,17X9" 5-LUG CHROME 1995 COBRA "R" rims. After that much, I have no idea. I bought them used from a guy on a local Mustang car club. Hope this helps! Thanks!!!
Old 2/24/06, 03:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Could I just use my AutoDry soap on it to clean? I am thinking that would be better than just dishwashing soap. So, I wash my car up like I normally would. Then I use my powerball and powermetal to shine, maybe? Then I clean out with my car washing soap and wring out, and then put back on my drill to dry completely? I think this is what I was told to do. Oh yeah, and will this work as well on my exhaust tips and fuel door, too? I have tips that are polished staniless steel and a polished fuel door as well. Thanks again!! Sorry I have so many questions!
Old 2/27/06, 07:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

I got one this weekend...they didnt have the power metel so I got the chrome rim polish/wax. I used the powerball to apply and and a rag to take off. With the PM do can you apply and takt off with the PB?

Rims look sweet now!
Old 2/28/06, 02:12 PM
Cobra R Member

I used it a while ago. I think I will like it! I just suffer from vertigo real bad and it made it difficult, kind of. That was expected going in though. Thanks for your advice!!