Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Light Scratches?

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/05, 11:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Guys,

does anybody have any suggestions on what to do about the light scratches that tend to appear on your paint? I'm talking the kind of scratches that you have to get up close to see, but still so annoying just to know they are there! I ordered some touch up paint but I wouldn't know how to use it on a scratch so light.

~Rob
Old 6/27/05, 11:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Rebel73@June 27, 2005, 11:24 AM
Hey Guys,

does anybody have any suggestions on what to do about the light scratches that tend to appear on your paint? I'm talking the kind of scratches that you have to get up close to see, but still so annoying just to know they are there! I ordered some touch up paint but I wouldn't know how to use it on a scratch so light.

~Rob

Mequiars puts out a product for scratches, its in a black tube. I got it at Walmart --- I used it on my 05 and it worked great!

MEQUIARS SCRATCH X
Old 6/27/05, 11:35 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you say light scratches, can you feel them with your fingernail? Since you are talking about using touch up paint I don't think those would be considered "light". Generally light scratches are only on the surface and do not go down to the primer. Also, make sure what you see is not primer. Some people think they have a deep scratch that shows primer when it is a light scratch in the clearcoat.

If they truly are light scratches then they should only be in the clearcoat and there are several polishes on the market to take care of these. The thing you need to remember is polish removes a small amount of clearcoat to get rid of the scratch so you have to be careful or you will do more harm than good.

I use Farecla, works amazing for scratches. I apply it using a polishing machine.
Old 6/27/05, 11:44 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@June 27, 2005, 10:38 AM
When you say light scratches, can you feel them with your fingernail? Since you are talking about using touch up paint I don't think those would be considered "light". Generally light scratches are only on the surface and do not go down to the primer. Also, make sure what you see is not primer. Some people think they have a deep scratch that shows primer when it is a light scratch in the clearcoat.

If they truly are light scratches then they should only be in the clearcoat and there are several polishes on the market to take care of these. The thing you need to remember is polish removes a small amount of clearcoat to get rid of the scratch so you have to be careful or you will do more harm than good.

I use Farecla, works amazing for scratches. I apply it using a polishing machine.
yeah,

I think they are only in the clearcoat, so touch up wouldn't work on 'em. Where do I get this Farecla stuff? thanks!

~Rob
Old 6/27/05, 11:55 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Rebel73@June 27, 2005, 11:47 AM
yeah,

I think they are only in the clearcoat, so touch up wouldn't work on 'em. Where do I get this Farecla stuff? thanks!

~Rob
I just purchased it at a local automotive store. A lot of the bodyshops in my area use it. Works great at removing overspray and runs. Several grit levels available as well. Anyway, if yours are that light you have a few options. Before using a clearcoat polisher such as Meguires Scratch X or anything else, try using a glaze and then wax your car. Glaze is a form of paint sealer. It fills in light scratches. You apply it and remove it the same way as wax. Then wax the area. If you still see fine scratches you will need to polish the car. You should only polish the car once a year, because as I said, everytime you polish you are stripping away clearcoat. I have seen people polish the clearcoat right off edges of panels before.

If you go to a local automotive store that carries polishing applicators they normally have polishes, glazes and waxes you can't find in stores like walmart. If you have money to spend then Zaino's would be the way to go, so I have been told.