Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Leather treatment for a dull finish?

Search this Thread

Old 7/4/08 | 02:50 PM
Team Mustang Source

Leather treatment for a dull finish?

I like the factory look of my seats, but leather usually "shines up" over time...

Is there a leather treatment product that can help the seats look more flat? I was looking at meguires but read that it leaves the seats a bit shiny.

edit: looks like lexol may be it. Any other ideas?

As well, are all of the seating surfaces in my 2008 Bullitt leather? I've always heard the back seats are vinyl. Figure they'd need something else if that is true.

Last edited by eighty6gt; 7/4/08 at 02:57 PM.
Old 7/4/08 | 03:38 PM
V6 Member

I don't think Lexol is going to be any less shiny than Meguiars. They both have oily stuff in them. I guess the key is probably to use as little as possible and wipe off any excess though. The vinyl parts will be obvious, because they don't absorb like the leather does.
Old 7/4/08 | 03:43 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by eighty6gt
I like the factory look of my seats, but leather usually "shines up" over time...

Is there a leather treatment product that can help the seats look more flat? I was looking at meguires but read that it leaves the seats a bit shiny.

edit: looks like lexol may be it. Any other ideas?

As well, are all of the seating surfaces in my 2008 Bullitt leather? I've always heard the back seats are vinyl. Figure they'd need something else if that is true.
I use Meguires liquid work it in & takes about 1/2 to 45 min for whole car I donot really get a shine and if there is a slight one it disipates fairly rapidlyI do believe it sure helps keep the leather from drying up other than a Lanolin it works and Meguires wipes between times.
Old 7/5/08 | 07:26 AM
TMS Legacy Member

I have used the Lexol and Megs leather wipes, it appears that the Lexol leaves less of a shine than the Megs.
Old 7/5/08 | 09:34 AM
Bullitt Member

I use Lexol on the front leather seats and their vinyl product, Vinylex (it's in a blue bottle), on the back seats, door panels, dash, etc. I find that both of these have the least shine of anything I've tried, especially if you wipe everything down with a clean cloth a day or two after applying it. That second wipe down gets rid of *most* (but not all) of the greasy feeling that the Vinylex leaves behind. Even though I hate that slick, greasy feeling, I figure it's worth it for the protection it supposedly provides.
Old 7/5/08 | 10:12 AM
V6 Member

The Meguiars leather wipes most definitely leave a shine. If you don't want shine, you probably should avoid those.
Old 7/8/08 | 09:13 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

May I suggest Lexol, it does not have Silicone, which is the "shine" factor you described.

When used on Horse related items, it leaves a "dull" natural finish, from persoanl usage on the wifes horse saddle, and gear.
It also makes the auto leather stay looking new for months at a time.

TDS
Old 7/23/10 | 08:47 PM

My 2006 GT front leather seats have dull spots and would love to have the whole seat shine.