Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Keeping Your 05 NEW in 2015!

Search this Thread

Old 5/25/05, 01:27 PM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,526 Likes on 1,862 Posts
Hello, 05stangkc Here with a little Parts Insight!

If you are Keeping your Car for a very Long Time and want to keep it Looking NEW you Might want to consider Purchasing High Wear and Easily Damaged Replacement Parts Very Soon. Why Now? Ford Normally Prices Parts on New Models Low because they have to pay the Dealers for Replacing these Parts. Once a Model Specific Part is out of Basic Warranty it has been my experience that Parts Prices Go Up! Also Items Like Genuine Accessories Have a Very Short Availability Cycle. Most Accessories are Obsolete in a Couple of Years Or Discontinued early if they are Not Selling. I can not Predict every Possible Scenario but would like to make you aware of the Parts Process. Simply Think of Cars you have owned in the Past and remember what started looking Shabby as the Years Passed. I will give Some examples and Please Feel Free to add to the list! Also if you are Modifying you Vehicle you should Store your Original Parts for future Restoration! This is Not for everybody just the LONG HAUL Collector Types!

The Headlight Assemblies. The Clear Cover on these are going to take a lot of Abuse!
Factory Floor Mats
Door Sills
Steering Wheel
Wheel Center Caps
Shift ****
Battery Cables
Belts,hoses Belt Tensioners
Turn Signal and Wiper Switch, Any Electrical Switches
Sun Visors
Grilles
Emblems
Fog Lamps

I could Go on but You Get the Idea! Imagine what these parts will cost in 5 to 10 years! The ones you can Still get Anyway!

KC
Old 5/25/05, 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an '89 F-150 with 62k original miles and the truck is in great shape. Things that wore out on it are:

Sunvisors (faded)
Weatherstrip around outside glass and vent windows started cracking
Side mirrors started to rust
Grille (some areas faded)

Everything under the hood is in rather good shape. Everytime i wash the truck, i wipe down everything under the hood with a damp rag and i also dry the underside of the hood and door jambs. I apply a liquid based silicone lubricant to the door weatherstrip which has kept it in great shape. Also, if i spy one drop of any fluid, i immediately find the source of the leak and fix it pronto.
Old 5/25/05, 02:58 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great idea Kev - I had actually thoought about this before.... hmmm.. maybe I should make a list....
Old 5/25/05, 03:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Dm smart thinking!

Might want to also add "stock-pile of gas" to the list.
Old 5/25/05, 04:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Totally agree with you.

Also think about how you are storing the origianal parts to replace later down the road. Don't just put them in a box in the attic.
Old 5/25/05, 07:08 PM

Here's my take on this...

First of all, since this body style should remain basically unchanged for say, the next five years, I would expect most of the parts mentioned so far to still be readily available from Ford thru about 2020. This would be about 10 years after the final model run.
This would apply mostly to mechanical items, including suspension components and major body parts...and also including other service parts that could normally be found later being manfactured by aftermarket companies that will retail thru auto parts stores... ie; filters, cables, belts, hoses etc.
Additionally, I'd expect the most common crash related parts such as grilles, lenses, and various exterior trim and ornamentation to not become in very short supply for quite some time too.

Since the cars are so popular and should continue to be, I would also expect many other items normally needed for a restoration, to be available thru the aftermarket as well. This would include soft rubber items like weatherstripping etc. Certainly if only NOS OEM parts will do, this might be a good time to get some of this kind of smaller stuff while it's still relatively cheap.

However... due to the ever changing hi-tech nature and improvements being made to todays cars, I feel that the most expensive and quickly obsolete items will be those related to a cars electronics. These might be the ones to get spares of now if you can afford it and are worried about it. The things that are generally too expensive to be carried as dealer stock years down the road, yet imperative to the operation and/or function of the engine and other major accessories.

You might certainly save some money by buying certain items now. But, in reality, the small fortune you could easily spend for endless items you may never need, probably doesn't justify the action. Proper maintenance and care should prevent the need for stockpiling many of these items.
Old 5/25/05, 07:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

I wouldn't recommend buy to many items. Buy things that would drive you crazy if they were messed up. Maybe the clear headlight covers. If you buy to much....Ebay should get you out of the items but you may have to wait until they are no longer available to relly get your money out of them.
Old 5/25/05, 07:36 PM
Cobra Member

Well I currently have a '91 Mustang GT... had it since it was brand new... and I can still find pretty much anything for it, much cheaper than I used to.

The foglight lens for one used to be VERY expensive... now it's 40 bucks at loads of places.

I will say that the black trim they used on the new '05 will surely suffer the same fate as all the other black ford trims do. I would suggest making sure you armor all that stuff and more importantly keep wax AWAY from it because for some reason it eats it up.

I wish they hadn't used that crap on the new Stangs but oh well.

I was lucky enough to have a friend who owned an '87 GT tell me what not to use on my car, like the little pockets on the doors. He showed me everything that went on his car after a few years and I tried my best to avoid using those things... like the pockets... and the E-Brake (rubber falls apart after about four years)

Unfortunately we won't know for a few years what will break down on the new Stangs but I'm sure we'll find out soon enough
Old 5/25/05, 08:06 PM
Cobra Member

Hey Kevin, can you tell me if this part of the dash is separable from the balance?

More details in this thread:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=25128
Old 5/26/05, 06:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by 05stangkc@May 25, 2005, 1:30 PM
Hello, 05stangkc Here with a little Parts Insight!

If you are Keeping your Car for a very Long Time and want to keep it Looking NEW you Might want to consider Purchasing High Wear and Easily Damaged Replacement Parts Very Soon. Why Now? Ford Normally Prices Parts on New Models Low because they have to pay the Dealers for Replacing these Parts. Once a Model Specific Part is out of Basic Warranty it has been my experience that Parts Prices Go Up! Also Items Like Genuine Accessories Have a Very Short Availability Cycle. Most Accessories are Obsolete in a Couple of Years Or Discontinued early if they are Not Selling. I can not Predict every Possible Scenario but would like to make you aware of the Parts Process. Simply Think of Cars you have owned in the Past and remember what started looking Shabby as the Years Passed. I will give Some examples and Please Feel Free to add to the list! Also if you are Modifying you Vehicle you should Store your Original Parts for future Restoration! This is Not for everybody just the LONG HAUL Collector Types!

The Headlight Assemblies. The Clear Cover on these are going to take a lot of Abuse!
Factory Floor Mats
Door Sills
Steering Wheel
Wheel Center Caps
Shift ****
Battery Cables
Belts,hoses Belt Tensioners
Turn Signal and Wiper Switch, Any Electrical Switches
Sun Visors
Grilles
Emblems
Fog Lamps
I could Go on but You Get the Idea! Imagine what these parts will cost in 5 to 10 years! The ones you can Still get Anyway!
KC

????????
Hey,
Does Ford make a rubber trunk mat for the 05 mustang?
Old 5/26/05, 06:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

not sure about all this but.... all i know is my shift **** is wearing like a 10-year old car....
Old 5/26/05, 10:21 PM

I am just trying to get people thinking! I recently sold on ebay an original NOS 1971 Roadrunner sidemarker lens for $450.00 Its a valid concern! It cost about 15.95 in 1972!

kc
Old 9/2/05, 01:59 PM

Now That a Little wear has occured on our cars I thought I would Refresh this Topic!

kc
Old 9/2/05, 04:05 PM
Queen Of Nascar

Originally posted by Captmojo@May 26, 2005, 8:38 AM
????????
Hey,
Does Ford make a rubber trunk mat for the 05 mustang?

Not to my knowledge but heres mine just posted:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=33472
Old 9/2/05, 09:00 PM
Team Mustang Source

Hey KC,
I know this is probably a bit beyond the norm, but maybe you could come up with some basic packages with some prices to buy? Say a 'cosmetic' package that has interior trim pieces subject to wear, exterior cosmetic package, a electrical/functional piece package? Then maybe I could buy stuff in sets over the next couple of years and stock up!
Old 9/2/05, 09:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Donna@September 2, 2005, 5:08 PM
Not to my knowledge but heres mine just posted:

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=33472
Lloyd's RubberTite makes one. You can get it at AutoAnything.com for about 65 bucks.
Old 9/2/05, 09:17 PM
GTR Member

i always have problems with windshield wiper arms getting all faded and chipped..also the tint(but nuttin I can do bout that)
Old 9/2/05, 11:32 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Kev, aren't you going to stock parts for TMS members till 2015??
Old 9/3/05, 08:16 AM
Bullitt Member

Anyone know how much the sunvisors run?
Old 10/16/05, 09:35 AM

Any New High Wear Items to be Aware of?

kc