Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

I don't like megs hot rims chrome cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/11, 05:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
I don't like megs hot rims chrome cleaner

Washed and dried my wheels using the megs chrome cleaner. The next day I noticed some milkey streaks on them. I figured no problem a little megs detail spray will clean that right up...... nope didn't really do the trick. the pick below is after I used the detail spray. So I ended up using some swirl remover on them and it cleaned it up right nice.
I will not be using that stuff again.
Attached Thumbnails I don't like megs hot rims chrome cleaner-megs1.jpg   I don't like megs hot rims chrome cleaner-yuck.jpg   I don't like megs hot rims chrome cleaner-megs-2.jpg  

Last edited by Glenn; 7/30/11 at 05:43 AM.
Old 8/1/11, 03:36 PM
Detailing Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like it wasn't rinsed thoroughly. How did you use it? One wheel at a time? Did you use any physical agitation, or just spray and rinse? It might be as simple as using this product in a different method to get the results you're looking for.
Old 8/2/11, 06:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
rinse, spray product, a little washing, rinse well. I guess not well enough but I thought so. Then I dried them. The streaks came from what ever water ran off the back side of the rim after I was done cleaning the car for the day. I noticed the streaks the next day. The streaks arn't the problem so much as the effort it took to get rid of them.
Old 8/2/11, 08:34 AM
Detailing Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you did everything spot on in my book Glenn. If anything, it might be a case of the product working too well: the cleaning elements of the product likely loosened some other things up that later ran onto the wheel lip and re-solidified. Good to know for future cleaning sessions for sure.
It looks like you have non-clear-coated wheels, which makes things little more tricky as they look much better when they're clean (as you know), but require a little more maintenance than most people are willing to give.

Have you considered purchasing and using an electric leaf blower? It makes drying the car much safer (less touching=less chance of swirls), and is especially useful I find when drying things that are a little more tricky (inside the side mirrors, around emblems, tires/wheels, etc). It might be worth a $40ish investment for someone like you that cares for his baby so well.