Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

How to get rid of spiderwebs in paint?

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/07, 06:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to get rid of spiderwebs in paint?

My car has acquired a bunch of fine surface scratches that look like spiderwebs in the right light. I currently use Zaino but nothing seems to polish the scratches out. Anyone out there have a good method? I have a Porter Cable orbital that I can buy a new/different pad for if it will help. Thanks.
Old 8/15/07, 06:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You say you use Zaino..what product have you been using? If Z5 is not helping out much then you must get more aggressive. I would hit them with ZPC Fusion followed by AIO and see where you are at.
Old 8/15/07, 06:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Z2 & Z5. Neither seems to work the scratches out, they seem go over the scratches. It doesn't matter if i'm applying by hand or orbital, it does not seem to have any bite.
Old 8/15/07, 08:27 AM
Bullitt Member

Try Meguiars Scratch X, worked for me!
Old 8/15/07, 08:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 8905GT
Try Meguiars Scratch X, worked for me!
On top of wax, or did you take it down to bare paint, apply scratch X, then wax on top?
Old 8/15/07, 11:27 AM
Mach 1 Member

My vote is also for ScratchX, but is a LOT of work to do an entire car. It really needs to be worked in. (BTW, you can use the new formula of ScratchX with the PC.) If you've got more money then time, a professional will make the paint look like new.

BTW, after you are successful at removing the scratches/swirls, you need to figure out where they're coming from so that you can prevent them. They're usually a result of improper washing/drying technique or improper/dirty tools (towels, sponges, etc.).
Old 8/15/07, 11:51 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by davisinla
My vote is also for ScratchX, but is a LOT of work to do an entire car. It really needs to be worked in. (BTW, you can use the new formula of ScratchX with the PC.) If you've got more money then time, a professional will make the paint look like new.

BTW, after you are successful at removing the scratches/swirls, you need to figure out where they're coming from so that you can prevent them. They're usually a result of improper washing/drying technique or improper/dirty tools (towels, sponges, etc.).
Looks like i'll pick up some scratch X then.

I believe it's coming from my California Car Duster. Neighbors had sod put down and before it arrived, my car was covered in dust daily from the grading work.

I guess it can't be applied with orbital & pad?
Old 8/15/07, 02:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

You should be able to use ScratchX with your Porter Cable.

I'm not sure a California Duster would put that many swirls in your paint - not that quickly. How do you normally wash/dry your car? Do you ever take it to a car wash? If so, don't!

Most swirl marks that I've seen seem to come from sponges or drying towels.

There are several great auto finish care sites - I like this one:

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/default.aspx
Old 8/15/07, 03:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FinlayZJ
On top of wax, or did you take it down to bare paint, apply scratch X, then wax on top?
Actually I used it right before I waxed it for the first time. The car was bought used so I am not sure how long ago it was waxed. I had the exact same thing you have. I remember the horrific day, I was walking by my car and notced all these spider webs, I thought what the heck some spider decided to spin a bunch webs on my car and the wind blew it around? So I tried to wipe the spider webs off with my finger and to my surprise it wasn't a spider webs at all but real fine scratches that were only noticeable when real fine dust accumulated on the hood.
I bufffed the whole hood by hand using scratch X and then waxed it. I did this last November and scratches are still gone!

Also I have used the Cali duster several times and have not noticed any scratching cause by it. Its guaranteed not to scratch the paint, well thats what the ads say.
Old 8/15/07, 05:27 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
I used scratch x the other day, followed by meguires gold class wax, and it worked great! I strongly suggest against using the duster! I know it's the cause of my swirls. And I won't be using it anymore. Good luck, swirl marks are nasty!
Old 8/16/07, 06:00 AM
Bullitt Member

You should be able to use ScratchX with your Porter Cable.

I'm not sure a California Duster would put that many swirls in your paint - not that quickly. How do you normally wash/dry your car? Do you ever take it to a car wash? If so, don't!

Most swirl marks that I've seen seem to come from sponges or drying towels.

There are several great auto finish care sites - I like this one:

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/default.aspx
I never take it to a car wash. I dry it with 100% made in the USA cotton towels. Sometimes I do the 100mph drying method if traffic allows I forget the mit I use, but it was recommended on zainos or meguiars site. I guess the car duster is going in the trash.
Old 8/16/07, 08:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FinlayZJ
I never take it to a car wash. I dry it with 100% made in the USA cotton towels. Sometimes I do the 100mph drying method if traffic allows I forget the mit I use, but it was recommended on zainos or meguiars site. I guess the car duster is going in the trash.
Let us know how the ScratchX treatment turns out.
Old 8/17/07, 06:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would use ZPC on the swirls, you will not have to wash the car after it and you may go straight to Z2/Z5...or better yet Z-AIO 1st.

If you need more bite from the pad, spritz with water.

Ensure your toweling is clean, soft and either 100% USA cotton or a high quality microfiber, not Wal Mart specials.
Old 8/20/07, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

http://archive.meguiarsonline.com/fo...&threadid=2965

i just spent about 12 hours over a span of 3 days detailing mine and it came out looking like a GEM.

1. Wash with Meguiars Gold Class car wash
2. Claybar
3. #83 with the PC 7424
4. #80 with the PC 7424
5. Meguiars NXT Liquid Wax

not an easy job at ALL but the results were fantastic.
Old 8/20/07, 08:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by slipnotovk
i just spent about 12 hours over a span of 3 days detailing mine and it came out looking like a GEM.
My hat's off to you! I spent about 6 hours on the wife's Acura last weekend: Wash, clay, #83. I'm conducting a long-term experiment with the wax: I did half with NXT, half with Gold Class paste. I want to see if there is a difference down the road (pun intended).

I've actually had the good fortune to be in a detailing class conducted by Mike Phillips down at Meguiar's in Irvine. He knows his stuff and is a great guy.
Old 8/21/07, 07:44 AM
Retired Tms Staff

After using products for over 16 years I have finally found the best swirl remover (and yes, it is a new product) made by 3M. Utrafina SE. You can use it by machine or by hand. I had the same problem as you did when using Zaino's. Sure the car looked good but the spider web effect would not go away no matter how much Z5 you use. I then used the 3M product. Very easy to use and definately works better than anything else on the market, including other 3M products. The stuff is not cheap but worth it. I have not waxed/detailed my car for several months now and still looks as though I did it today. I have the Scratch X stuff, well, I did have it but threw it away recently as I find that product still leaves swirl marks.

Another thing to point out is the 3M Ultrafina SE will also strip the old wax off so that even saves you a step. Here is some more info about it

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...New/Ultrafina/
Old 8/21/07, 03:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

My hat's off to you! I spent about 6 hours on the wife's Acura last weekend: Wash, clay, #83. I'm conducting a long-term experiment with the wax: I did half with NXT, half with Gold Class paste. I want to see if there is a difference down the road (pun intended).

I've actually had the good fortune to be in a detailing class conducted by Mike Phillips down at Meguiar's in Irvine. He knows his stuff and is a great guy.
same here! i attended a class in NJ a little while ago with Mike and it was such a great learning experience. i was always afraid to put a machine to my black stang but after that class it was a piece of cake. he is the man