Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

How do I remove yellow line paint?

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/08, 05:56 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I remove yellow line paint?

All;

My sister just bought an '07 Navigator. The L/S quarters and wheel wells have yellow line paint splashes. What's the best way to remove them?

Thanks

Walt
Old 9/8/08, 06:08 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man that stuff is not easy to take off. Typically it is latex based paint. The tough part is removing that layer of paint without damaging the paint underneath. Don't use things like laquer thinner. On the quarter panels I would first start by trying a clay bar. If that doesn't work you would need to get more aggressive. I have used a razorblade in the past to remove paint splatter. As for the wheel wells, not much you can do (that I can think of). Different chemicals might work but not sure how the plastic would react to the chemicals.
Old 9/8/08, 06:16 AM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
For the wheel wells, I'd just spray over them black and be done with it. The paint will be trickier, as adrenalin said. John- do you think a paint denibber would help him? After clay bar, I'd carefully wet-sand and see if that does the trick. Try at your own risk. What color is the Navi?

Last edited by 05GT-O.C.D.; 9/8/08 at 06:19 AM.
Old 9/8/08, 06:21 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05GT-O.C.D.
For the wheel wells, I'd just spray over them black and be done with it. The paint will be trickier, as adrenalin said. John- do you think a paint denibber would help him? After clay bar, I'd carefully wet-sand and see if that does the trick. Try at your own risk. What color is the Navi?
I have only seen denibbers used in furniture refinishing but they were big machines. Do they make a small handheld version for automotive use? If so that would be pretty cool.
Old 9/8/08, 06:29 AM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by adrenalin
I have only seen denibbers used in furniture refinishing but they were big machines. Do they make a small handheld version for automotive use? If so that would be pretty cool.
Yeah, they look like s hand held pencil sharpner. They might actually be too small depending what the damage to the Navi looks like.
Old 9/8/08, 07:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

I agree this is probably the easier method and cheaper in the long run.
Old 9/8/08, 07:11 AM
Cobra R Member

The Navigator is dark blue (more True Blue than Vista Blue). I'm going to try chemicals first. Bug & Tar remover, WD40 even acetone. Then I'll go with the clay bar. I really don't want to sand or scrape the quarter panels; it's not my car.
Old 9/8/08, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

The clay would probably be more safe then the chemicals you list. Remember it is designed for paint and is easy to use. If you aren't familiar with them then look it up. It is a great product that everyone should use even on a new vehicle.

Clay is even used for paint overspray so it might work.
Old 9/8/08, 07:31 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by WaltM
The Navigator is dark blue (more True Blue than Vista Blue). I'm going to try chemicals first. Bug & Tar remover, WD40 even acetone. Then I'll go with the clay bar. I really don't want to sand or scrape the quarter panels; it's not my car.
Don't use the acetone.
It tends to take off all paint.
Just a little might be too much.
Old 9/8/08, 07:37 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by karman
Don't use the acetone.
It tends to take off all paint.
Just a little might be too much.
Ok, so I did a search and found that "Goof Off" or denatured alcohol were recommended by the state dmv. What do you think?
Old 9/8/08, 08:20 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
try the clay bars first, there's the kind you get in wal-mart, then a little more agressive, then a really agressive one available from meguiars. they were originally called overspray clay, they will most likely work the best. try the least agressive methods first, those chemicals are kinda strong for paint
Old 9/8/08, 10:01 PM
I lust for a M24

Originally Posted by WaltM
Ok, so I did a search and found that "Goof Off" or denatured alcohol were recommended by the state dmv. What do you think?
If DOT paint is latex based, the Goof Off would actually be my first attempt. I'd test on an are on the inside of a door first, but assuming it does no damage (it shouldn't) then I'd go for the Goof Off. That stuff works wonders on latex based house paint.
Old 9/9/08, 08:48 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
If DOT paint is latex based, the Goof Off would actually be my first attempt. I'd test on an are on the inside of a door first, but assuming it does no damage (it shouldn't) then I'd go for the Goof Off. That stuff works wonders on latex based house paint.
I agree. If you want to use chemicals, I would start with a little of that.
Old 10/6/08, 02:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Update...

I didn't get a chance to test it on the Navigator, but I had the bad luck of getting white line paint in both L/H wheelwells and rocker panel on the 'stang.

So I bought Goof-off wipes and Goof-off 2 in a spray bottle. I used the Goof-off 2 and a cotton cloth first. It works, but not as easily as you might think. Total time to get the front wheelwell and rocker panel 99% paint-free, was about 2 hours. The reason I say 99% ? There are stone marks in the plastic wheel well that won't come clean. I did try the wipes, but didn't see any difference in cleaning power.

So the moral of the story is, don't drive on freshly painted lines.
Old 10/6/08, 07:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

If the black plastic on the wheel wells is marked up, try Mothers Back to Black.

Or if it is paint in the dimples from rocks, then maybe you should try some kind of stiff bristle brush and the goof off.
Old 10/7/08, 05:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by randy_tho
...Or if it is paint in the dimples from rocks, then maybe you should try some kind of stiff bristle brush and the goof off.
They're dimples. I'll try Goof-off with an old toothbrush first. If that doesn't work, black touch-up paint.
Old 10/14/08, 08:41 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Just spray the inner fenders with a quality tire foam before showing.

We have sprayed with No-Touch and/or Mequairs before show or while on the show floor.
Foam disappears, leaves the inner fenders clean, black and egg shell glossy.

TDS - Alabama Show Car Inc.