Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

help removing tape adhesive/clearcoat???

Search this Thread

Old 5/15/06, 12:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation help removing tape adhesive/clearcoat???

I was washing my car over the weekend and notice a slight line on the door in the area people are putting rocker stripes. It appears that its the tape line from when the door had to be recleared. I hear this is common because the adhesive from the tape mixes with the clearcoat and leaves a little residue. What would be the best stuff to use to get this crap off??? I know the clear under it is good, but I have no idea what I can use to cut that adhesive down. It almost feels like regular tape adhsive, but its harder. I don't want to hurt the paint, but i want to get that crap off. Oh yeah....it's only been about a month since it was cleared. Should I wait another month for the clear to cure or try to get it off now???

And bringing it back to the shop isn't an option. He's out of town for like a month doing the biker build off or some crap on TLC. The other people in his shop are idiots.
Old 5/15/06, 01:23 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try using WD40. It works pretty good at getting rid of adhesive residue.
Old 5/16/06, 09:19 PM
Cobra Member

Not seeing the problem area start with a few wipes with Alcohol, may remove it. Brake Cleaner works on tuff adhesives, spray on to a clean cloth, (not on the painted surface) then with just two or three quick wipes max. Be gentle Cleaner cuts fast. If its in the clear as it sounds it could be, then it would need to be feather sanded with 1000 wet paper and follow with fine rubbing compound and then superfine. If your comfortable doing these, then just wait for the painter to return.
Old 5/16/06, 10:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

I've used "Goo-Gone" with great success on the oversprayed undercoating.
Old 5/17/06, 06:02 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Badsnke98
Not seeing the problem area start with a few wipes with Alcohol, may remove it. Brake Cleaner works on tuff adhesives, spray on to a clean cloth, (not on the painted surface) then with just two or three quick wipes max. Be gentle Cleaner cuts fast. If its in the clear as it sounds it could be, then it would need to be feather sanded with 1000 wet paper and follow with fine rubbing compound and then superfine. If your comfortable doing these, then just wait for the painter to return.
Thanks for the advice! The spots are only about 1/4 inch wide and maybe 6" long. There are like 3 spots that need this. Should I tape off the surrounding area so just the affected are is showing when I sand it?? I don't know a whole lot about bodywork, but I think it would limit my potential for doing damage to any surrounding paint??
Old 5/22/06, 08:16 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by HiRoller
Thanks for the advice! The spots are only about 1/4 inch wide and maybe 6" long. There are like 3 spots that need this. Should I tape off the surrounding area so just the affected are is showing when I sand it?? I don't know a whole lot about bodywork, but I think it would limit my potential for doing damage to any surrounding paint??
Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I personally would not tape around the area to sand this. You could do a combo of tape to start and then remove to finish the sand if that helps you along. You need a 1000 grit feather touch and need to check after just a few strokes to see what is being removed. The key is to stop as soon as the overspray is removed. That requires one or two strokes as you near that step. Next a small amount of compound mixed with water. I do this by compound on pad and spray a mist of water on the area. This will require feather rubbing of around 20 stokes let dry and wipe gently with clean micro fiber or soft cotton. Repete with a few additional strokes of clean compound and water if needed.

If your not comfortable, just wait for your guy to return to work! As he should know best what is needed to finish the job.
Old 5/24/06, 03:30 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Wardog 07
I've used "Goo-Gone" with great success on the oversprayed undercoating.
I love that stuff! Works great on removing road tar as well.

Tony D