Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Gotta Vent

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/05, 05:01 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove the car into work this week (usually I take my beater) and was behind a big dump truck but I kept my distance.... Didn't see anything fall out of the truck... Get to work, didn't notice anything... Get home, notice a huge chunk of my front bumper (right where it curves down) is gashed. Too big to use a paint pen or paint bottle... It's the size of a half dollar. Tried to fix it but it's no use. Sanded it with 600, tried to layer the touch up paint from dealer on very thin, coat after coat, etc.. sanded with 1500 and 2000 grit.. Still looks like a big freaking zit on my car ... So I ordered 80 bucks of stuff from paint scratch.com (spray can kit) and will try and primer it, paint it, clearcoat it myself. Took it up to a shop...500 bucks to fix (they wanted to paint the whole bumper). I'll try the 80 dollar fix and alot of my time before going the 500 dollar route.

Any advice would be welcome... Also, found this good howto on paintscratch
http://www.paintscratch.com/spraycan.htm
Old 7/23/05, 05:10 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sometimes those paint patch kits are a pain in the rear to match colors.

Another thing you should think about is that bumpers usually have a "flex agent" to make the paint more flexible. That being said, the paint can crack if the bumper is distorted in any way.

The unfortunate best fix would be to take it to a good bodyshop. Again, prep work is the key. If the panel is properly prepped you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 7/23/05, 05:22 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by Galaxie@July 23, 2005, 6:13 PM
Sometimes those paint patch kits are a pain in the rear to match colors.

Another thing you should think about is that bumpers usually have a "flex agent" to make the paint more flexible. That being said, the paint can crack if the bumper is distorted in any way.

The unfortunate best fix would be to take it to a good bodyshop. Again, prep work is the key. If the panel is properly prepped you shouldn't have a problem.

Good points... I did get the flex added to the paint when I ordered. We'll see how it matches... I figured for 80 bucks it was worth a try. I thought the article outlined a good prep.. we'll see how it goes..thanx for the post
Old 7/23/05, 09:56 PM
Cobra Member

Is the paint you ordered mixed by the factory code? If not, you can just go to a local Automotive Paint Supplier and get what you need.
Old 7/24/05, 11:57 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by Badsnke98@July 23, 2005, 10:59 PM
Is the paint you ordered mixed by the factory code? If not, you can just go to a local Automotive Paint Supplier and get what you need.

I believe PaintScratch.com mixes according to factory code. I couldn't find duplicolor that had the g2 (redfire) paint code. I think I'm outta luck with the retail chains