Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Dryer sheets.....Just trust me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 5/7/11, 07:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With my 08 GT I would wet a chamois with hot water after I returned from a night drive and the bugs would come right off with nothing but water and the chamois. I hardly ever physically washed that car. I do however realize those who have to drive their car on a daily basis can't always keep up on the bugs.
I'm sure the dryer sheets work just fine. I'm guessing the softener in them provides lubrication when wet between the sheet and the car, similar to how a solvent based tar and bug remover or using soap with the clay bar. The front of the car and below midway on the sides are the parts of the car that takes the most road abuse, fortunately it's a part of the car thats hard to see if there are light minute scratches on.

Great tip.
Old 5/24/11, 04:55 PM

Guys - a simple can of Coke or Pepsi with a cloth will do it, trust me ! No brush, major scrubbing. Its simple and safe. When finished, just rinse or wash the area.
Old 6/30/11, 05:48 PM

Great Scott! All this sounds -much- better than baking soda or kitty litter!
Old 5/27/12, 08:30 PM
Bullitt Member

This worked great!
Old 5/27/12, 11:31 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep I tried them too during my last car wash... 100% effective... And by Gawd no scratches!

Last edited by watchdevil; 5/27/12 at 11:34 PM.
Old 5/28/12, 05:40 AM
Cobra Member

I found out about the fabric softner remedy a couple of years ago, heck i thought everybody knew about this trick! i did it on my 06 f-150 and still do it on my 09! Yes it works great, takes the bugs right off, and doesnt leave scatches or swirls! Only thi g i recommend is to wax the area after youve washed it!
Old 5/29/12, 06:20 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
As a detailer, I am speaking out in caution. Dryer sheets aren't the most plush thing, hence my concern in earlier posts. I'd venture an educated guess that a sheet is more coarse than a decent microfiber towel. I can only hope that no one tries this and mars the paint trying to get bugs and tar off. No *****ing, moaning, or complaining...just stating the facts.
^ This.

Avid detailer speaking here....

Until someone proves there are no swirls or marring left behind, I will not try this. It may "look" like there are no swirls, but heck, even fingers and soft MF leave swirls and marring, the question is THE DEGREE to which they leave it.

If someone (who has tried this sheet technique), could put the area they just cleaned with the dryer sheet under halogen or LED or Fluorescent lights, then take pics. I am almost certain there are swirls.

edit: why is this in the kona blue section?
Old 5/29/12, 08:17 AM
Cobra Member

I have been using the fabric softner sheets for 10 plus years on all of my vehicles. But anyway, i have never noticed swirls after using.They definitely come in handy down in the south with all of these darn love bugs. One thing i have noticed is that it pulls the wax off after use. If you spray down the area you've removed bugs from i've noticed that the water doesn't bead up like it did previously. I would suggest waxing that area after.
Old 10/31/12, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Swirl marks,...does it leave horizontal or vertical scratches? No one who knows what they're doing washes or dries a car in circular motion.
Old 10/31/12, 10:15 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think Overboost is trying to discredit this method of bug removal or the OP, he's just trying to tell people to use caution, kinda like a disclaimer, because nothing is idiot-proof.
Old 10/31/12, 10:34 AM
Cobra Member

Might try this later
Old 10/31/12, 11:54 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
only thing I use dryer sheets for in my car, is as air fresheners. And they work GREAT for that
Old 10/31/12, 11:56 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by stangfoeva
only thing I use dryer sheets for in my car, is as air fresheners. And they work GREAT for that
In your NEW car?? Whaaa my 2011 still has a faint new car smell
Old 10/31/12, 12:02 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
In your NEW car?? Whaaa my 2011 still has a faint new car smell
No! Absolutley not when it was new. But mine still does have that new car smell somehow. At least that's what people tell me when they ride in my car. I can't smell it anymore lol
Old 10/31/12, 12:25 PM
Detailing Guru

Oh boy oh boy....

I'm not doubting if this works quickly and easily, or if it gets all bug remains off.

However, if you think this is perfectly safe for paint, you're kindly mistaken. If you think that by wetting something, it is no longer abrasive, you're kindly mistaken. The idea of using water as a lubricant is to give a more even abrasive finish; things tend to work in a more uniform manner. It isn't to make things non-abrasive as that's just silly.

If you don't notice any change / difference in your vehicle once doing this, it is because your paint isn't in good enough shape to see a difference which is good and bad. It's good because this isn't degrading the finish any worse than it already looks, but is bad because your paint isn't near its maximum potential for clarity, depth, gloss, and shine.

Always exercise caution when it comes to your car's delicate finish, weigh the pros and cons, and make the best educated choice for your level of car care
Old 10/31/12, 12:27 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by MarcHarris
Oh boy oh boy....

I'm not doubting if this works quickly and easily, or if it gets all bug remains off.

However, if you think this is perfectly safe for paint, you're kindly mistaken. If you think that by wetting something, it is no longer abrasive, you're kindly mistaken. The idea of using water as a lubricant is to give a more even abrasive finish; things tend to work in a more uniform manner. It isn't to make things non-abrasive as that's just silly.

If you don't notice any change / difference in your vehicle once doing this, it is because your paint isn't in good enough shape to see a difference which is good and bad. It's good because this isn't degrading the finish any worse than it already looks, but is bad because your paint isn't near its maximum potential for clarity, depth, gloss, and shine.

Always exercise caution when it comes to your car's delicate finish, weigh the pros and cons, and make the best educated choice for your level of car care
Im surprised it took you this long to hop on this thread!
Old 10/31/12, 01:02 PM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by CCTking
Im surprised it took you this long to hop on this thread!
I don't make it a habit to go looking for 1.5 year old threads, so unless they get bumped, I stay out of the way
Old 10/31/12, 01:14 PM
FR500 Member

I don't make it a habit to go looking for 1.5 year old threads, so unless they get bumped, I stay out of the way
i completely forgot how old this thread was
Old 10/31/12, 01:28 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those dryer sheets kinda remind me of scuff pads. Lol.
Old 10/31/12, 05:19 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

thank you for finally responding to this. I wasn't going to say anything but I tire of people who think that rubbing things on the paint will not scratch or marr their finish.

Quick Reply: Dryer sheets.....Just trust me!!!