Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Detailing tips

Search this Thread

Old 7/9/14, 11:47 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Please for all things loving of cars, don't use a squeegee to dry your car. If you've left any dirt on the surface, you're asking for big time scratches. Use the blower. It's awesome, and you can get the water out of the cracks it typically gets stuck in...hood crevices and scoops, window trim, mirrors, etc.

The method you describe is used quite a bit by detailers. They use a foam gun to completely soak down the car with suds, it's a pretty good method provided you have some shade to do it in. I'd still suggest using a bucket to rinse your wash mitt after a few panels. The dirt gets lifted up by the soap, and when you go over with the mitt, it gets trapped in the mitt, which needs to be rinsed off.
Old 7/10/14, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StangMahn
Please for all things loving of cars, don't use a squeegee to dry your car. If you've left any dirt on the surface, you're asking for big time scratches. Use the blower. It's awesome, and you can get the water out of the cracks it typically gets stuck in...hood crevices and scoops, window trim, mirrors, etc.

The method you describe is used quite a bit by detailers. They use a foam gun to completely soak down the car with suds, it's a pretty good method provided you have some shade to do it in. I'd still suggest using a bucket to rinse your wash mitt after a few panels. The dirt gets lifted up by the soap, and when you go over with the mitt, it gets trapped in the mitt, which needs to be rinsed off.
If you have washed the car properly you don't have to worry about using a silicone squeegee. But I agree the blower is the best way to go. You just have to be very careful not to touch the car with the blower nozzle because that could scratch it big time.

Shade or no shade you can use this method just like any other wash method and do a section at a time to prevent the soap from drying on the car. Shade is always better but I never suds the whole car down at once.

I spray the mitt out with the hose. Just like rinsing the car. No need for a bucket.

Last edited by roadracingmustang; 7/10/14 at 06:35 AM.
Old 7/11/14, 11:26 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by roadracingmustang
If you have washed the car properly you don't have to worry about using a silicone squeegee. But I agree the blower is the best way to go. You just have to be very careful not to touch the car with the blower nozzle because that could scratch it big time.

Shade or no shade you can use this method just like any other wash method and do a section at a time to prevent the soap from drying on the car. Shade is always better but I never suds the whole car down at once.

I spray the mitt out with the hose. Just like rinsing the car. No need for a bucket.
Still disagree on the squeegee. Unless you're washing in a sealed chamber, dust and dirt particles are going to land on the surface of your car while it's being washed.
The following users liked this post:
DLL66 (9/2/16)
Old 7/31/14, 12:13 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
I picked up a Mother's Powerball Mini today and a California Duster. My wheels are a royal PITA to wash and wax. I expect this powerball thingy to help alot. Also use it for the fender trim under the hood which is always water spotted.
Old 12/28/14, 08:18 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 07ShelbyWanter
where's the best place to buy these products cause this stuff can certainly add up in cost.. anyone found cheaper online dealers or anything? or a discount code for meguiars.com.. lol.. thanks for the help..
Amazon is usually cheaper than Walmart for Meguiars and Chemical Guys. If your order more than $25.00 shipping is free.
Old 6/3/15, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California Duster

I've used a California Duster on all my vehicles and have not had any issues getting off "Garage Dust". I wouldn't used it on a dirty car. Any bad experiences with it? I'm a little nervous to use it on the new GT.
Old 6/3/15, 11:03 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
I personally abandoned the california duster and just live with the dust or use maguires ultimate quick detailer just before a show. It was mostly because i got tired of the red residue the duster would shed onto my car.
Old 6/5/15, 03:52 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenGT
I personally abandoned the california duster and just live with the dust or use maguires ultimate quick detailer just before a show. It was mostly because i got tired of the red residue the duster would shed onto my car.
All I see at shows and cruises are folks using a California Duster, but I'm with Darren on this one. They don't cut it on darker cars. Meguiars detailer (black bottle) is the best.