Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Detailing for Dummies with Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 4/21/05, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually the kit I mentioned is exactly what you need if you want to use Zaino's stuff... you'll use everything in the package... the package just consists of clay, car wash, a couple polishes that you'll use (an accelerator product that you'll add to these polishes), and a quick detail finish... a big plus of Zaino, which is a polish, is that you don't need to get an orbital buffer to get a good shine like you would with a wax... just wipe off... at least that's what everyone says... again, I haven't used yet... comes with full instructions (which are also on the website)... someone please correct if me if I'm wrong here (as I haven't used my kit yet), but I do believe you'll use everything in this kit and aren't getting stuck with any useless product.
Old 4/21/05, 12:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by PonyGirl@April 21, 2005, 12:53 PM
I want to clay bar and wax. How many steps are there for waxing? The package seems like a lot of stuff I would never use.
All the
info you need.
Old 4/21/05, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

I just gave my baby the full Zaino treatment last week. I've used their stuff for 5+ years and it is worth every penny they charge. The car ends up glowing when you are done.

Ponygirl- I did the Dawn wash as directed, followed by the claybar. Rewashed with their car wash stuff, and then did a coat of Z5. I use the FZX with all the polish stages, and only mix up one ounce at a time. I can do the whole car with less than one ounce. Right now the car has had three coats of Z2, and I'm waiting to drive it until after the new Z8 spray comes in I ordered. I don't think the Z8 is a must, but I want to try it out so I'll leave the car in the garage until I get it.

Minimum I'd do is one coat of Z5 followed by two coats of Z2.
Old 4/21/05, 01:12 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok...you guys have sold me. If I get a mustang I will use Zaino.

However, what's with the claybar? It has been said that Zaino is quick but to me it seems like it would take forever to go over the entire car (lower front bumper, nooks, crannies) with the claybar. Does it? I mean I imagine that you wet it and then use the claybar and do that a few times in a single area before you move on to the next. Is this right? Or do you do it just once in an area and you know you are good?

THX..
Old 4/21/05, 01:15 PM
Banned

wow.........lots of different steps and products. Seems hard, but I will give it osme thought. I have 3 car shows lined up this spring and summer, and I will think about it.
Old 4/21/05, 01:20 PM
Banned

Can you buy a clay bar in the stores? If you were to buy a wax from the store shelf , what would your TOP choice be?
Old 4/21/05, 01:27 PM
Bullitt Member

I think the most popular wax here is Meguiars NXT (sinze Zaino is not a wax.)
I've seena kit of Meguiars that come with a clay bar at Autozone. Runs for about $16.
I believe another popular product is Mother's, which also produces a clay bar and might be available at Walmart.
Old 4/21/05, 01:45 PM
Banned

COOL..............thanks for the options.
Old 4/21/05, 09:22 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by snkbtn99@April 21, 2005, 6:53 AM
Sun ate it up. Paint is now gone. So much for doing nothing but wash.

ANYONE that believes doing nothing to their paint and expects it to look good after a few years use is nuts.

I wax my car with Zaino a couple of times a quarter.
I'm not nuts, I'm just saying what I've heard. I will probably get the Zaino starter kit and give it a try. Trust me, If I'm sold on it, I'll post a killer testimonial! Naturally, I would like to give my car a good start. But I don't think I could ever be as dedicated as you. You wax your car EIGHT times a year? Yikes! Hey, if Zaino helps you get a healthy return on investment, by all means use it!

I'll be sure and post my results.
Old 4/21/05, 10:36 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Zaino should be paying us........

That being said, where's that bandwagon??
Old 4/22/05, 05:55 AM
Bullitt Member

LOL ..I ZAINO my car that many times a year .... It is not a wax. The more you use it the better the results are .... Good luck with yours.

The only draw back that I have found from Zaino is that the bees REALLY love me when I am applying it in the summer time. The stuff smells great .... Bees love it ....

Actually Zaino really stinks (work with me guys/gals ..if Sal sees all this praise he MAY raise his prices ..doh!!)
Old 4/22/05, 10:58 AM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by SuperCJ@April 20, 2005, 11:46 PM
OK, I can help you here, but first....What is a "Zaino"? Is it some type of clay detailing kit? Cause you don't need to clay the car unless the paint is oxidized, which a new car will not be.

When you get the car wash it and keep it clean for about a week or so. It takes about 15 to 30 days for all of the thinners from the painting process to fully evaporate. Washing it will not hurt the paint, but you don't want to wax it yet and trap the thinners under the wax, they need time to evaporate and fully cure the paint.

Then, you want to do a three step process. first apply a micro finising compound to make the paint smooth. UsE SMALL AMOUNTS. This stuff is a very fine abrasive and it will smooth the paint and remove any slight imperfections in the paint.

Then apply a hand glaze over all of the painted surfaces. This fills all of the microscopic swril makrs from the first step and further smooths out the paint.

Finally, apply a coat of good quality wax. I like Meguires Carnuba but any good quality wax will work. When you buff off the wax, follow up with a soft terry cloth to buff the wax to a high luster.

When you are all done, you should be able to slide a soft rag across the hood an it will feel like glass. The rag should slide easily because there is no friction grabbing the fibers in the rag.

Do this process twice a year and wax the car four times a year. This will keep the paint from oxidizing and fading.

You can get the micro finishing compound and the hand glaze at any auto paint supply store. Apply it by hand. You may be tempted to use a buffer but you risk burning through the paint on the hard edges of the body. Applying by hand gives you more control, and allows you to "feel" the paint as you work the products over the paint.

Good luck. It's not easy but the results are well worth it! Send pics when you are done!

Sorry to this poster, but please don't listen to anything he says. Zaino is a fine car care product line.

You do need to clay the car. Claying does not remove oxidation, it removes things like brake dust, rail dust, and other paint impurities and leaves you a nice smooth surface to start your products on. As long as you use lubrication (quick detail spray or soap/water solution) the clay will NOT hurt you car.

Secondly, the paint is fully cured. You can wax it as much as you want, this is a common myth and you can wash it and do whatever you want THE DAY IT ARRIVES..

Don't use a microfinishing compound. Your paint should be slick and smooth after claying, there is no need for a heavy duty polish like that. Do yourself a favor and go to autopia-carcare.org (or.com, I forget) and get Klasse All-In-One Cleaner wax from their car care section. This is a very light cleaner that you use prior to your LSP (Last Step Product) or a sealant. Use almost none of the Klasse AIO (All in One). One ounce should do the whole car. Then you can follow this Klasse AIO up with Meguiars NXT Gen Car Wax or something like Zaino Z-2 (www.zainobros.com). You should redetail the whole car twice a year (claybar, polishing, the whole shabang) and you should wax as much as you can (by adding another coat of your LAST STEP PRODUCT). THis will look great. Go to autopia.org to learn more or just ask here.

You will find some great products, and to apply and remove these products you should use very high quality Microfiber towels so you won't get as many swirls (sorry to say, but you will get them,albeit very small ones) from places such as pakshak.org (or.com, i forget) and exceldetail.com

For wash, I would use Meguiars NXT Gen Car Wash Soap as it is very good and easy to find.
Old 4/22/05, 01:24 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by PonyGirl@April 21, 2005, 1:18 PM
wow.........lots of different steps and products. Seems hard, but I will give it osme thought. I have 3 car shows lined up this spring and summer, and I will think about it.
You are right there are a lot of steps! Go through every step one time and then just use the Z2 and Z6 after that! The Z6 is basically a quick detailer and the more coats of Z2 you put on the deeper the shine gets! Zaino works AWESOME and after the initial application is easier to use than anything else I have found. Not to mention the car will bead water forever after just one application!
Old 4/23/05, 05:55 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

If you are worried about all the steps in using Zaino I would recommend Meguiars NXT Wax. I used it on the 97GT I just traded in and the dealer loved it, I won a few awards with it, and it protected the car really well. I'll ad pictures for you to look at. I personally will be buying the Zaino kit since I got a Redfire 04GT last week.
Old 4/23/05, 10:22 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Badandy+April 22, 2005, 11:01 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Badandy @ April 22, 2005, 11:01 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SuperCJ@April 20, 2005, 11:46 PM
OK, I can help you here, but first....What is a "Zaino"? Is it some type of clay detailing kit? Cause you don't need to clay the car unless the paint is oxidized, which a new car will not be.

When you get the car wash it and keep it clean for about a week or so. It takes about 15 to 30 days for all of the thinners from the painting process to fully evaporate. Washing it will not hurt the paint, but you don't want to wax it yet and trap the thinners under the wax, they need time to evaporate and fully cure the paint.

Then, you want to do a three step process. first apply a micro finising compound to make the paint smooth. UsE SMALL AMOUNTS. This stuff is a very fine abrasive and it will smooth the paint and remove any slight imperfections in the paint.

Then apply a hand glaze over all of the painted surfaces. This fills all of the microscopic swril makrs from the first step and further smooths out the paint.

Finally, apply a coat of good quality wax. I like Meguires Carnuba but any good quality wax will work. When you buff off the wax, follow up with a soft terry cloth to buff the wax to a high luster.

When you are all done, you should be able to slide a soft rag across the hood an it will feel like glass. The rag should slide easily because there is no friction grabbing the fibers in the rag.

Do this process twice a year and wax the car four times a year. This will keep the paint from oxidizing and fading.

You can get the micro finishing compound and the hand glaze at any auto paint supply store. Apply it by hand. You may be tempted to use a buffer but you risk burning through the paint on the hard edges of the body. Applying by hand gives you more control, and allows you to "feel" the paint as you work the products over the paint.

Good luck. It's not easy but the results are well worth it! Send pics when you are done!

Sorry to this poster, but please don't listen to anything he says. Zaino is a fine car care product line.

You do need to clay the car. Claying does not remove oxidation, it removes things like brake dust, rail dust, and other paint impurities and leaves you a nice smooth surface to start your products on. As long as you use lubrication (quick detail spray or soap/water solution) the clay will NOT hurt you car.

Secondly, the paint is fully cured. You can wax it as much as you want, this is a common myth and you can wash it and do whatever you want THE DAY IT ARRIVES..

Don't use a microfinishing compound. Your paint should be slick and smooth after claying, there is no need for a heavy duty polish like that. Do yourself a favor and go to autopia-carcare.org (or.com, I forget) and get Klasse All-In-One Cleaner wax from their car care section. This is a very light cleaner that you use prior to your LSP (Last Step Product) or a sealant. Use almost none of the Klasse AIO (All in One). One ounce should do the whole car. Then you can follow this Klasse AIO up with Meguiars NXT Gen Car Wax or something like Zaino Z-2 (www.zainobros.com). You should redetail the whole car twice a year (claybar, polishing, the whole shabang) and you should wax as much as you can (by adding another coat of your LAST STEP PRODUCT). THis will look great. Go to autopia.org to learn more or just ask here.

You will find some great products, and to apply and remove these products you should use very high quality Microfiber towels so you won't get as many swirls (sorry to say, but you will get them,albeit very small ones) from places such as pakshak.org (or.com, i forget) and exceldetail.com

For wash, I would use Meguiars NXT Gen Car Wash Soap as it is very good and easy to find.
[/b][/quote]

Well Badandy, I feel I must expalian some of my comments if you are going to recommend "please don't listen to anything" I say.

First of all, I am unfamiliar with the Zaino process, AS I EXPLAINED IN MY FIRST SENTENCE. I never slammed the Zaino process and reading the other post, I am becoming more informed. That is the purpose of these forums, to inform Mustang owners about things that interest/effect our hobby.

The process I described is a valid and accepted way to detail the paint of a vehicle. I did this process to my 90 Mustang that I owned for 11 years and the paint looked great on the day I sold the car. It shined like new after all the years of use and So Cal sun. The ponit is to protect the paint some way, wax, Zaino, whatever.

Claying vs Microfinishing- Well, they are essentially the same thing. One removes impurities in the paint (including oxidation) with a solid clay medium, one is a liquid medium. You only need to do one or the other, but not both.

Paint Curing- Paint is applied through a paint gun (hand or robotic) and includes thinners to allow the paint to be sprayed through the gun. Thinners need time to evaporate from the paint, hence the term "cure". The factory baking process accelerates this process through heat, and is a very effective way to mass produce paint jobs. But it is not infaliable and waiting is a way to be sure the thinners are gone. This might be "old school" thinking but I am used to body shop paint jobs that don't use heat to cure a car. You can detail a new car right away, or you can wait a few days or so. I guess it is personal prefrence.

The proces you described in your post is the same as I described, just using diffrent products or abrasive mediums. Should I recommend that noone listen to what you say? I think not. We all have opinions and prefrences on how/what we do to our cars. Please, by all means offer your opinion, but respect other opinions as well.
Old 4/24/05, 06:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

If Zaino isn't a wax, what is it? Clearcoat? I know it outshines all but does it protect as well as a polish and wax?
Old 4/24/05, 07:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mustangfun101@April 24, 2005, 7:34 AM
If Zaino isn't a wax, what is it? Clearcoat? I know it outshines all but does it protect as well as a polish and wax?
Zaino is a polymer. It supposedly protects better than any wax-based product. If you're looking to get some, don't. The Zaino kit I bought was a $100 mistake. It's easy to get caught up in all the hype, though. Meguiars works just as well, for a fraction of the price.
Old 4/24/05, 08:31 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

What didn't you like about it?
Old 4/24/05, 08:40 AM
Cobra Member

It doesn't "outshine all" but it does have a very good shine.

SuperCJ:

My fault. I understand what you mean about the microfinishing compound. Personally, I believe that claying is better to do because there is really no risk in doing that. About the paint thinning, I understand you because that is true if you get your car painted and get it the next day. But in the case of our mustangs, the car is about 2-4 weeks old by the time we get it. I apologize for my abrasiveness.
Old 4/24/05, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by mustangfun101@April 24, 2005, 9:34 AM
What didn't you like about it?
mustangfun101,

Someone asked me the same question a few months ago in a different thread, and this was my experience/reply:

"I got the full Zaino line; all of these products were applied to a black Jaguar XJ. I did 2 coats of Z2 (polish) and 2 of Z5 (swirl remover). The shine was decent with the Z2, although not the finish I was lead to believe by Zaino's SVTPerformance.com cheerleaders. As with the Z2, the Z5 worked pretty well, filling in most the swirls. After a few washes, however, the swirls were back--at least as bad as they were previously. 3 months later, and the car looked as it did pre-Zaino; this was a far cry from the super durability Zaino claimed polymer polishes had. So, to sum it up--the product was OK, but def. not worth the premium or the time it took to put on 4 coats. I recently re-did the same vehicle with Eagle 1 Nanowax (10 bucks for a bottle w/ microfiber towel + applicator) and got the same results in 1 coat. The Nanowax worked great, esp. if you have a dark, swirled vehicle. Meguiar's Cleaner Wax kicks tail, too.

A few other Zaino issues:

Poor customer service: On my $100 plus order, $30 worth of merchandise was forgotten. I called Zaino and let them know about the error and they required me to "double-check" the box for the missing products. I told them I'd already triple-checked it. They told me to check again. Mind you, the box's volume couldn't have been more than 1 cu. ft.! Long story short, I had to raise some heck before they sent out the missing products.

The ZFX BS: I also found it a bit suspicous that in order for one coat of polish to "cure" in less than 12 hours, ZFX was necessary. If you're unfamiliar, ZFX is
a product added to the polish that supposedly "accelerates" the drying time to ~30 mins. For $20 you get a mL or 2 (100 drops), supposedly enough for 16 oz. of polish (I used about 6 oz. of Z2 and Z5 total in the above example). Why is it that other polish makers can make a product that drys quickly w/o the need for ZFX? Additionally, there's no way it costs them anywere near $20 to make a single mL of product. I think they've found a clever way to milk more money out of their customers, and I don't like it."

Epilogue:

It's natural to want the best for your car, esp. when it's new and something you really like. I think that's why a lot people run to boutique wax outfits; I did, at least. I didn't do any research and got hosed. My recomendation: try out something less exotic (and much less pricey), like Meguiar's Cleaner Wax and some Gold Class. Make sure you use a good applicator to apply it and a microfiber towel to remove it. Then, if you aren't happy with the results, give Zaino a whirl.

Quick Reply: Detailing for Dummies with Zaino