Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Clear Nicks

Search this Thread

Old 8/23/14, 06:04 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Clear Nicks

I tried searching this I'm not sure even how to look for an answer.

I found what are two very small nicks on my fender. Now they wouldn't even be noticeable but they look like two little white marks. I guess if you saw them, they are side by side, you'd probably try and wipe them off like dust. At first I thought mayby something stuck to the paint. I just got the car back from the body shop so I thought maybe some overspray. I'm thinking it's just a weird angle and nick where the clear coat is reflecting the edge of the tiny damage.

Anyway what's the best way to hide them? I tried a bit if scratch remover but nothing. The color is sterling grey.
Old 8/23/14, 06:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You could get clear touch up paint and very carefully apply it in layers untilthe nick is level with the finish.
Old 8/23/14, 06:12 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
I have something similar....small chips on the top of the hood and l/s quarter. Very wierd angles for stone chips but that's the only thing it could be. And my car is black so it's probably more noticible than on your color.

But they are tiny and only I know that they exist. I'm not going to spot paint them for fear that it might look worse, so far now I'll leave them alone. If they become larger I'll deal with it then.
Old 8/23/14, 06:14 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by DaGonz
You could get clear touch up paint and very carefully apply it in layers untilthe nick is level with the finish.
I'll give it a shot. I think a toothpick with a steady hand and I might be able to hide them.
Old 8/23/14, 06:21 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
I have something similar....small chips on the top of the hood and l/s quarter. Very wierd angles for stone chips but that's the only thing it could be. And my car is black so it's probably more noticible than on your color.

But they are tiny and only I know that they exist. I'm not going to spot paint them for fear that it might look worse, so far now I'll leave them alone. If they become larger I'll deal with it then.
I guess they coukd be rock chips. I want to blame the dealer body shop of course because I didn't notice them until I picked up the car yesterday. In two weeks the car goes in for a clear bra.
Old 8/31/14, 11:39 AM
Legacy Tms Member

I just did my first round with Langka on my two very small chips. I took down the color blob to just a bit under the clear and it's invisible now except at extreme angles. Now I'm waiting for the clear to dry and if I do it right the chips should be for the most part gone.

I guess if the nicks or chips you have are small enough the dulling after the blob eliminator does not matter. I'd take a before and after pic but what I'm dealing with is way too small for my phone camera.