Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Clear Bra installed....

Search this Thread

Old 4/5/07 | 06:14 AM
Cobra R Member

i really want to have this done to my car. just need to get the cash together.
Old 4/5/07 | 06:25 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
I have been kicking this around for some time. I have a few small chips in my hood that I am getting taken care of soon. After that has been done, and the paint has had time to adhere, I may opt for this treatment. The chin spoiler is the one item I have that is driving me to drink (and I don't even drink). It gets chipped up so easily. Have been using the cheap Painters Tape method (and it works well), but after my body shop touches up the spots I need done, I may invest in this stuff for the hood, bumper and get a piece for the chin spoiler made up. My only problem is that there is no place around me that is listed as a "good" installer on X-Pel's website.

DocQ, one question if I may ask? How long after you had the chips on your hood fixed and painted, did you wait to have the X-Pel installed? I know you should wait some time for the paint to properly adhere. Just wanted to get an idea.
'

jeff from the xpel website there is an installer in Schwenksville PA looking on a map they dont look too far away from you. There is a decent looking shop in Cherry Hill for me too.
Old 4/5/07 | 06:28 AM
V6 Member

I wax over it just like any other part of the car. Naturally by hand, do not use a buffer on it.
Old 4/5/07 | 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cheese302
i really want to have this done to my car. just need to get the cash together.
Joe: better sooner than later... just use one of those 0% 6-mo interest CCs and take care of that pony...
Old 4/5/07 | 12:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by DoctorQ
Joe: better sooner than later... just use one of those 0% 6-mo interest CCs and take care of that pony...
got a couple chips to take care of first, we'll see, if i can get one i'll do it though, been looking into a discover card for gas
Old 4/5/07 | 01:21 PM
Cobra Member

What are you guys paying - installed? I just went through looking at X-Pel's website and a full kit for a stang runs almost $1k for material alone! I'm not afraid to do this myself, but if I can better the price through a local jobber I'll go for it. The closest to me is Schwenksville which is about a hour away.
Old 4/5/07 | 02:04 PM
V6 Member

My PJ was $480, Lexus $575, Saab $465, Thundbirds $495. Installed in my garage. All at diffent times and years. Pricing has been very stable.

http://www.xpel.com/products/bulk.asp

Gee I paid a little over a grand for Lojack installed in my garage with a 3 year service. Can't believe a grand just for Xpel materials.
Old 4/5/07 | 02:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RobK
What are you guys paying - installed? I just went through looking at X-Pel's website and a full kit for a stang runs almost $1k for material alone! I'm not afraid to do this myself, but if I can better the price through a local jobber I'll go for it. The closest to me is Schwenksville which is about a hour away.
My total cost (material & labor) was $600 out the door. That included (1) Hood/Fender/Mirror kit; (2) Bumper kit; (3) Headlamp/Foglamp/Signal lamp kit; and (4)custom made chin spoiler kit. The X-Pel costs for the first 3 kits is $589. With his price break, he custom made the chin spoiler kit and installed all for $600. I recommend finding a certified installer... I watched the whole process and it's definitely something I could not have installed (given the cost of these pieces).
Old 4/5/07 | 04:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Bruce0146
My PJ was $480, Lexus $575, Saab $465, Thundbirds $495. Installed in my garage. All at diffent times and years. Pricing has been very stable.

http://www.xpel.com/products/bulk.asp

Gee I paid a little over a grand for Lojack installed in my garage with a 3 year service. Can't believe a grand just for Xpel materials.

Yeah, I'm thinking of trying the bulk material and trimming it myself. It'll be WAY cheaper. I'm pretty skilled and very patient so I'm not too worried.
Old 4/5/07 | 05:14 PM

Two questions --
1. If a rock comes flying at you on the freeway while driving at higher speeds (70 to 100 mph), wont it simply tear through clear bra as well?

2. Is the line where the clear bra ends on the hood/fenders more visible on lighter color paint jobs, like silver?
Old 4/5/07 | 05:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by elburrito99
Two questions --
1. If a rock comes flying at you on the freeway while driving at higher speeds (70 to 100 mph), wont it simply tear through clear bra as well?

2. Is the line where the clear bra ends on the hood/fenders more visible on lighter color paint jobs, like silver?
#1. I know it will help... and will most likely deflect on the more horizontal surfaces (like hood). I had heard there's a video on one of the manufacturers site which shows a 1" rock fired (100mpg) at a headlamp covered with the 8mil urethane... and it didn't break the lamp lens... I personally have not seen this video however.

#2. just the opposite.. more visible on darker cars (especially if you don't get all the wax buildup out on the seam). My installer has done quite a few cars, and feels my color (windveil blue) and the silver colors hide the bra better than most colors.
Old 4/5/07 | 05:42 PM

#1. I know it will help... and will most likely deflect on the more horizontal surfaces (like hood). I had heard there's a video on one of the manufacturers site which shows a 1" rock fired (100mpg) at a headlamp covered with the 8mil urethane... and it didn't break the lamp lens... I personally have not seen this video however.

#2. just the opposite.. more visible on darker cars (especially if you don't get all the wax buildup out on the seam). My installer has done quite a few cars, and feels my color (windveil blue) and the silver colors hide the bra better than most colors.
Thanks for the helpful answers. I think you just convinced me to get it done for my baby...
Old 4/5/07 | 06:10 PM
V6 Member

My daily drivers have gone through 2 and 3 winters in New England through the salt, sand and other junk that plows scrap up and the front ends are as good as new.
It can also be replaced easily. To take it off you just heat it up with a hairdryer and water activates the adhesive when putting on the new piece.
The good thing is its always on so your always protected.
And yes on some colors it shows up more. On my red, gold and orange its hardly nociable. On my blueish grey and gunmetal grey its more noticable but not offensive or detracting to the car.
Old 4/5/07 | 06:47 PM
Cobra R Member

I have seen this on a white porsche, didnt even realize it was there till it was pointed out to me.

also, it is worth it to spend the money on the actual xpel stuff, the cheaper ones will fade and discolor
Old 4/6/07 | 11:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Sorry if off-topic, but... DoctorQ - I didn't realize your GT was Windveil. I've been kicking around the idea of stripes. Got any more pics of your car?
Old 4/6/07 | 05:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Rash
Sorry if off-topic, but... DoctorQ - I didn't realize your GT was Windveil. I've been kicking around the idea of stripes. Got any more pics of your car?
Hi Rich: pic of the front of car at start of this thread.. here's some pics (pre-tinting) of the rear:
Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra installed....-doc_gt4a.jpg   Clear Bra installed....-doc_gt5a.jpg   Clear Bra installed....-doc_gt3.jpg   Clear Bra installed....-doc_gt6.jpg  
Old 4/6/07 | 06:13 PM
GT Member

Bruce,
Do you mean by no paint problem, that you've not noticed a difference between the covered vs. non-covered parts? ie; discoloring due to washing/waxing the untreated side vs. the untouched portion under the bra?

That would be my only concern about the bra. Years later having a two-tone effect. Can you comment on this from your experience?
Old 4/6/07 | 06:50 PM
V6 Member

Absolutely no difference between clear film covered and uncovered paint. This is after 3 years on daily drivers from moderate to hot to cold weather.
Old 4/6/07 | 07:29 PM
GT Member

Thanks... Live in Ct. and will have it put on when the new car arrives. Will also be a daily driver. I had the regular bra on the 92 for many years which left a mark.