Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

To Claybar or not to Claybar, that isthe question!

Search this Thread

Old 10/24/05, 09:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm getting my new stang soon, and I'm wondering how many of you out their claybared their car or not. I want to see if it's really necessary on a new car. I'm skeptical about doing it. I'm thinking if the car feels smooth enough, that I should just polish and wax.

I'm reluctant to claybar because I'm at an apartment and there's no convenient place for me to claybar and wash my car.
Old 10/24/05, 10:30 PM
GT Member

Done mine twice now..It makes a big difference..Yes there is alot of rail dust and just about any new car..but then on a white car you can really see all the stuff that gets into the paint... I also live in a apartment..But go to a friends house..
Old 10/24/05, 10:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I will wash, then claybar, then Klasse All-In-One, then Klasse Sealant Glaze followed by 2 coats of Souveran. Yes, it is black, and yes I am ****.
Old 10/25/05, 07:25 AM
Bullitt Member

most certainly...YES! great for getting out any pollutants to your paint, and makes waxign/polishing that much more effective...
Old 10/25/05, 07:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

No need in my opinion. Just a wash and wax is all it needs. Any bits of dirt or gunk comes out with a little elbow grease when you're washing the car, so it's smooth as a babies bottom.
Old 10/25/05, 08:00 AM
GT Member

The fact is that every car shipped by train is covered in rail dust. Some washes off, but a lot embeds in your clearcoat and cannot be removed by washing (even with elbow grease). It may feel smooth to you, but it isn't. Claybar a 4 inch square then feel the difference between it and the surrounding area. You will be shocked at how much smoother the claybar section is. I was and I claybar'ed my Stang on day 1.

Using the claybar is very simle, does not require extra effort to be effective, is not that time-consuming and is safer for your clearcoat.

You can give it the elbow grease and trust that your car is clean or you can claybar and know your car is clean. Which is better for the long-term care of your car's appearance?
Old 10/25/05, 08:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I agree with Buck. The car felt pretty smooth and the claying went fast - but with all I have heard about rail dust, I wasn't going to take the chance. Find a nice shade tree someplace.

Or go to an automatic car wash and hog a covered space for a while.
Old 10/25/05, 09:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by tw0scoops123@October 25, 2005, 6:35 AM
No need in my opinion. Just a wash and wax is all it needs. Any bits of dirt or gunk comes out with a little elbow grease when you're washing the car, so it's smooth as a babies bottom.
I felt the same way, right up until I claybared immediately after a thorough wash. I was astonished at the contaminants that were left behind by the wash and subsequently removed by the claybar. Short answer? Do it. It's well worth the time and effort.
Old 10/25/05, 09:58 AM
GT Member

I clay barred the first time I washed it, then waxed with maguires. I've since washed and waxed twice. Had the car a month and a half.
Old 10/25/05, 12:06 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Whats claybar?
Old 10/25/05, 01:47 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I claybarred my car shortly after I got it.. the results were amazing... you'd be surprised how much gunk is in the paint.
Old 10/25/05, 05:30 PM
GT Member

I clayed a week after getting car and was amazed at how much junk really came off. I proceeded to Zaino and all is good.
Old 10/25/05, 06:55 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Claybar is the real deal. I was a skeptic, but once I tried it I was amazed at how much smoother the surface of the paint was. Washed it with Zaino's wash then used Zaino's polish. The claybar is well worth it!
Old 10/25/05, 07:51 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok, so how should I do it?

Since the dealer already washes and waxes, I'm thinking I have to

1. Rinse then Wash and rinse again

2. Dewax using dawn solution, then rinse

3. Claybar, then rinse

4. Polish

5. Wax

Does that sound right?
Old 10/29/05, 09:01 PM
Bullitt Member

I used dawn as my first wash.

I then used Zaino Z-7 as a lubricant for the claybar (claybarring will also have you touch every square inch of your paintjob so you will not be surprised by any scratches later)

Z-7 wash
Dry - difficult place to dry is under the grill, water seems to puddle and keep coming out
Z-5
Z-6
Z-2
Z-6
I have only used Zaino, others might be able to give other ideas
Old 11/6/05, 06:24 AM
GT Member

never heard of this claybar stuff, but it sounds like it is something to do, is it safe to use now-the paint is only 3 months old, also is this a paste form or liquid, can you use it on the plastic bumpers

Where do you buy it from ?
Old 11/6/05, 01:16 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Claybar is just like it sounds....a bar of clay, therefore it is a solid. The way it works is you spray some automotive detailer in an area (usually provided with the bar) and then you rub the bar back in forth in that area. The purpose of the spray is to keep the bar from sticking to the car. Any particles sitting on the paint (rail dust, tree sap, etc) will stick to the clay bar. In the end you have a very smooth surface before you apply the wax. A thing to remember is that since the bar is trapping all of those particles, you need to keep folding the clay to a clean section. Depending on how often I use the clay bar, which is usually only a few times per year on each car, I normally replace the bar every 2 years. I try to buy bars that are white, like Mothers, that way I can see just how much stuff it has removed from the car.
Old 11/6/05, 01:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by adrenalin@November 6, 2005, 2:19 PM
Claybar is just like it sounds....a bar of clay, therefore it is a solid. The way it works is you spray some automotive detailer in an area (usually provided with the bar) and then you rub the bar back in forth in that area. The purpose of the spray is to keep the bar from sticking to the car. Any particles sitting on the paint (rail dust, tree sap, etc) will stick to the clay bar. In the end you have a very smooth surface before you apply the wax. A thing to remember is that since the bar is trapping all of those particles, you need to keep folding the clay to a clean section. Depending on how often I use the clay bar, which is usually only a few times per year on each car, I normally replace the bar every 2 years. I try to buy bars that are white, like Mothers, that way I can see just how much stuff it has removed from the car.

Thank you. Now I know what claybar is.
Old 11/6/05, 01:26 PM
GT Member

The Claybar really does make a difference. It takes a little time to do it right, but it's worth the effort.

The Zaino web site has good step-by-step directions. Here's the link:

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/mercha...WC&Store_Code=Z
Old 11/12/05, 09:15 AM
V6 Member

I wasn't sold on claying before I got my car (this past monday), but wanted to do everything "right". So I did it anyway. During my 'dawn' wash before claying, I found a black scuff all up and down the right rear corner. It really looked like a scratch into the paint, but seemed to be the wrong color, and my fingernail did nothing to remove it. When I got there with the clay, one pass removed half of the marks, another little bit of work later and it was all gone. Brilliant! So, now I'm a believer.

There was actually less crap in the clay than I expected, but my only comparison was a trial run I did on my wife's Saturn. That car has been so neglected that all kinds of stuff came off. I was a little dissappointed as there was a lot of crap on her car that didn't come up easily at all, and I had to go to my fingernail for a bunch of these wierd dots on the hood. Still don't know what they are/were, and there are still more. I really ought to go over that car again, but these days the other is demanding all my attention.