Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Clay Barring

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/05, 07:48 PM
I talk to cones.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As some of you already know I picked my Mustang up in SC but I live in AL.

When I picked it up I noticed that there were overspray spots on the exterior. Today when I was washing it and hoping to be able to get some decent pics to post on TMS I tried to get the specs out by using a clay bar. The problem is that there are a lot of specs and the dealership in SC also waxed the Stang before I picked it up (I know this because I watched them waxing it) The wax is making it really hard to get the specs out because I have to clay bar the wax off before I can get to the over spray. It took me over an hour to get 1/4 of the hood done. I decided to call it a night and washed the residue off.

Three Questions

1 Should I take it to the local dealer and have them get the specs out? The only problem I see with this is them possibly messing up the clear coat. :notnice:

2 Should I clay bar the entire car myself, there are a lot of specs, and the wax makes it really hard and slow to get to them? The big problem with this is time and it's really hard

3 If I did decide to clay bar it myself, is there an easier way to take the wax off that is not so labor intensive as clay barring it off?

Either way I can't wait to see it all cleaned up, and finally have some pics to post of her.
Old 9/5/05, 07:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Wash it with dawn soap before you clay bar it. That should remove most of the wax. Just make sure you wax it afterwards.
Old 9/5/05, 08:16 PM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes exactly what Wes said - just make sure you wash it after you clay bar with regular auto wash, then wax or polish that puppy right away.

Oh and if there is ANYTHING I have learned since owning my new Stang, if you need something done to it and you can do it yourself and not depend on someone else to do it (and possibly $@$^%$^@ something up), seriously - do it yourself!
Old 9/5/05, 08:40 PM
I talk to cones.

Sweet, Have you guys clay barred the entire car and if so how long did it take.

BTW I knew about the Dawn I had just completely forgotten about it.
Old 9/6/05, 06:25 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
moving this to the car care section
Old 9/6/05, 11:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by softbatch@September 5, 2005, 9:43 PM

hehe ya I wanna know how long it takes to clay bar a fresh stang. Will be on my priority list when I get her. No matter how lon git takes, im takin a weekend aside to detail the heck outta it.
Old 9/6/05, 02:05 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by softbatch@September 5, 2005, 7:43 PM

On my last stang, 02 Black GT, My entire car got covered in gold overspray from construction across the street from where I work. My car was only a couple of months old so needless to say I was VERY upset :angry: I clay barred the entire car over a three day weekend and it took up just about the entire weekend. Even being very carefull it left some marks in the clear coat. You might want to allot some time for detailing with swirl mark remover (3M) when you are done clay barring to clean up the clear coat. Might not be a big deal on your car, but on my black GT it could have used it.

Doug
Old 9/6/05, 06:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by softbatch@September 5, 2005, 10:43 PM

I clay barred my whole car this past weekend. It only took a couple hours to do, not including the waxing afterwards. I was very surprised that the wasn't difficult at all (very little elbow grease). I felt very little grit in the paint, which was a relief, since I think the car sat in a rail yard over the weekend before the dealership received it (I was tracking the railcar).

I'm not sure how often I should clay bar the car, but it's certainly painless enough to do it once a year. It also gives me a reason each year to strip off all the old wax and reapply it each year.