Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Clay bar vs. liquid paint cleaner do you really need both?

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/08, 05:51 PM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
there's not a certain length, it's basically until you can't find a resonably clean surface when you knead the clay over and into itself
Old 9/13/08, 10:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'm going to buy the Meguiars Clay Kit this weekend since it has 2 50 gram bars instead of the 1 80 gram bar in the Mothers kit. Do you all use the entire bar, or do you cut it down into smaller bars? Also, do you flatten the clay completely, or do you make one side have some kind of edge to it to help remove the stuff on the surface?
Old 9/14/08, 08:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've read that it is better to slice it so that it maintains the same largest surface area but in thinner pieces. In the past I have just used the whole bar for a bit and then rolled it around and let it flatten out with use. That is what the usage instructions say but the slicing up seems to make sense.

I usually use one maybe twice and then demote it to wheels. You might also consider using one for upper and one for lower body.

When you are finished for one you want to reuse get a small Ziploc and squirt some quick detailer in to store it.
Old 9/14/08, 10:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

I always tear off small pieces of clay, use them until they get dirty, throw away, and repeat. I flatten the pieces until they are about 2" or a little less in diameter and fold the section over and flatten again when the first side gets dirty. An entire car usually takes 1/4 to 1/2 of a clay bar (depends if I'm doing the Mini or Mustang).

I'm a little too much of a perfectionist and too detail oriented, a full detail job on a car will take me a couple of days at least to do everything, but I usually try and break it up into sections. I used to take the wheels/tires off and bring them in the house and thoroughly clean them in the bathtub, but my wife put a stop to that a couple of years ago.
Old 9/14/08, 11:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the tips guys. Cutting them into smaller pieces makes more sense to me since it will help make them last longer. I'm looking forward to trying out the clay bar. I'm probably going to burn through the quick detailer though.

Originally Posted by Ministang
I'm a little too much of a perfectionist and too detail oriented, a full detail job on a car will take me a couple of days at least to do everything, but I usually try and break it up into sections. I used to take the wheels/tires off and bring them in the house and thoroughly clean them in the bathtub, but my wife put a stop to that a couple of years ago.
^That is awesome!
Old 9/14/08, 01:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

The quick detailer goes a long way if you use it properly. Just as long as the clay is sliding without resistance.
Old 9/14/08, 06:35 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I don't use my clay bar anymore. Used it one time and it made the worst white spots and streaks on the car. Couldn't get them off. Messed up the wax I tried to use also. I stick to Meguiars Liquid Wax.
Old 9/14/08, 06:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Which one did you use? Did you wipe the quick detailer dry on each section? I haven't heard of this problem yet.
Old 9/14/08, 09:27 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I used the Mothers Clay Bar kit. I did everything it said to do.
Old 9/16/08, 09:03 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
keepint the surface wet at all times while rubbing I think is Very important I have bottlke one hane , bar in other ande have a good work out, after I need two sets of sun glass's.
Old 9/16/08, 02:36 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
keepint the surface wet at all times while rubbing I think is Very important I have bottlke one hane , bar in other ande have a good work out.
That is what I do when I wax the car also.
Old 10/12/08, 08:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by randy_tho

When you are finished for one you want to reuse get a small Ziploc and squirt some quick detailer in to store it.
When I cut the first bar in half should I store each piece in its own bag with quick detailer on each piece? Do I need to put quick detailer on the piece if I haven't used it yet?
Old 10/12/08, 11:44 AM
Mach 1 Member

I would put them in separate bags with quick detailer in both. It just keeps the bag form sticking to the clay. The used one will probably be kind of dirty so keeping them separate would be optimal.

Originally Posted by BossDawg
When I cut the first bar in half should I store each piece in its own bag with quick detailer on each piece? Do I need to put quick detailer on the piece if I haven't used it yet?
Old 10/12/08, 05:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks, Randy.
Old 10/13/08, 07:58 PM
TDS
Super Moderator
TMS Staff

Originally Posted by BossDawg
How long do clay bars last before you have to replace them?
The clay bar it self will "load up" with debris, then throw it away. Have seen folks continue to use clay bars way past their time and start scratching and marking their paint with them.

Remeber, keep it wet, and fold it over.

TDS
Old 10/14/08, 05:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TDS
The clay bar it self will "load up" with debris, then throw it away. Have seen folks continue to use clay bars way past their time and start scratching and marking their paint with them.

Remeber, keep it wet, and fold it over.

TDS
Thanks, TDS. I imagine I'll be able to feel or at least see a difference in the clay bar after I use it a couple of times. I should be able to clay my car 2-3 times with one bar right? So if I cut each bar in two, I'll have to really watch how dirty the smaller pieces get.
Old 10/18/08, 10:17 PM
Bullitt Member

WOW! I finally went and got the Meguiars clay kit. I cut one bar in half and used one half on most of my wife's car (gotta practice before using it on the Mustang). It really is amazing how much crap it pulls off of the car and how much easier the liquid paint cleaner goes on and off. One last question, should I re-nead the clay after every section or just when I notice the surface starting to show contaminents?

Thanks again for all of the help.
Old 10/19/08, 10:32 PM
NTTAWWT

it really is amazing stuff...used mine today actually

just knead it when it starts getting dirty, sometimes that's a few panels, sometimes its only half of one.
Old 10/20/08, 05:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Ok, that makes sense. I noticed that the hood was nasty as hell, but there were other panels that you couldn't really see anything on the clay itself.

I'm not going to use it everytime, but I am definately hooked.
Old 10/20/08, 07:41 AM
NTTAWWT

the clay shows the most on the hood and the rear