Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Clay bar vs. liquid paint cleaner do you really need both?

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/08, 09:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay bar vs. liquid paint cleaner do you really need both?

Right now I'm using the Meguiars 3 step liquid crystal system. Step 1 is the paint cleaner. I know that the clay bar is used to remove stuff on the surface, and the paint cleaner is for stuff just below the surface. Is it really necessary to use a clay bar if you are already using the paint cleaner? If the paint cleaner removes the below surface contaminants wouldn't it also remove the surface contaminants just as well in the process?

For those of you that use the clay bar, how long does it take you to clay bar your car?

Thanks.
Old 7/23/08, 09:53 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I've only tried the clay bar once & I sure noticed a big difference ? as wierd as spray and rub it took me oh 30 mins to do he whole thing after having a cleaned car. I liked it but not to crazy on how expensive it is.
Old 7/24/08, 05:38 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is expensive about using a clay bar? I paid $9.99 for my clay bar. I am going to assume you mean the amount of detailing spray you use. To save on detailing spray, I take about an ounce of carwash soap and mix it with 1L of water in a spray bottle. Clay just needs some sort of lubricant to allow it to slide across the surface. Obviously I only do this in the shade (but the same thing applies to detailing sprays). Once done, hose the entire car down. I use my detailing spray after done washing the car so I am not wasting it by applying tons of it in order to use the clay bar.
Old 7/24/08, 05:42 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by BossDawg
Right now I'm using the Meguiars 3 step liquid crystal system. Step 1 is the paint cleaner. I know that the clay bar is used to remove stuff on the surface, and the paint cleaner is for stuff just below the surface. Is it really necessary to use a clay bar if you are already using the paint cleaner? If the paint cleaner removes the below surface contaminants wouldn't it also remove the surface contaminants just as well in the process?

For those of you that use the clay bar, how long does it take you to clay bar your car?

Thanks.
I wouldn't say it is necessary to do both but it depends on what is on your paint. I have seen road tar, gum, etc that would not come off when using Meguiars paint cleaner, but the claybar removes it with no problems.

To do my entire car with the clay bar takes about 10-15 minutes. It is a very fast process. If you do use a clay bar, although you get it in a block shaped like a rectangle, flatten it out so it looks like a pancake. Makes it a lot easier to work with.
Old 7/24/08, 05:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
takes me about 3 hours from start to finnish. Wash, claybar, wash and then wax
Old 7/24/08, 06:21 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
IMO, the claybar is as important as any other step, as far as getting a smooth finish. the paint cleaner cleans contaminantes, and the claybar takes off the surface contaminantes. I can sometimes see a difference in clarity of the paint after only a clay. Every time I look at the clay after use when it shows all the dirt that was on the car, I'm amazed
Old 7/24/08, 05:25 PM
Bullitt Member

They do look like they work great. How long do they last?
Old 7/24/08, 05:53 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Hey there,

If you are gonna do a job - do it right

Use the claybar. It will remove the surface stuff (which you would end up rubbing into the paint if you went right to the cleaner). Use the cleaner/polish followed up by the wax. The claybar piece alone is pretty quick - and its easy. Just use plenty of lubricant (detail spray) so that the bar doesnt stick to the paint.

When I DO a full on detail of my car, it takes anywhere from 3 to 4 hours tops.

Page
Old 7/24/08, 06:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
I some what agree with the above. I think givin the condition of a newer car doing a claybar wash then to a good wax would be more than enough. On something older that has not been claybared let alone waxed in a long time. I would use the claybar, the cleaner wax and a good wax.
Old 7/27/08, 02:50 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
I've only tried the clay bar once & I sure noticed a big difference ? as wierd as spray and rub it took me oh 30 mins to do he whole thing after having a cleaned car. I liked it but not to crazy on how expensive it is.
Almost all the wax and cleaning chemicals are very expensive.Most average about $10.00 a pint-$40.00 a gallon and some it is a lot higher. A guy could spend a fortune trying to find that right shine juice.
I've settle for Meguires Fine Cut Cleaner and 3M Polishing Glaze part#39013.

Last edited by Poco; 7/27/08 at 02:53 AM.
Old 7/27/08, 07:01 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Oh how I would love to know how you guys can do a full detail in 3-4 hours. Just concentrating on the paint, it takes me 8-10 hours just to claybar, swirl remover, polish and wax. Then again, that is using halogen lights so I can see every imperfection and I work the area till they are all gone Add another few hours for rims, tires and interior, underhood and this is a 2 day event for me.

Last edited by adrenalin; 7/27/08 at 07:02 AM.
Old 7/27/08, 12:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
Oh how I would love to know how you guys can do a full detail in 3-4 hours. Just concentrating on the paint, it takes me 8-10 hours just to claybar, swirl remover, polish and wax. Then again, that is using halogen lights so I can see every imperfection and I work the area till they are all gone Add another few hours for rims, tires and interior, underhood and this is a 2 day event for me.
no doubt. I use a Porter Cable random orbit buffer for the swirl removing. Usually two passes on hood, roof, and trunk. I'm thinking of getting a rotary to speed thing up on the large flat panels.
Old 7/27/08, 06:43 PM
NTTAWWT

$10-$20 on most stuff isnt bad, actually. A wash at one of those machine washes, it'll be 5-10, and you'll get a better quality wash from buying your own stuff. You dont have to buy everything at once, just pick up a car wash and wax, and then add more when you find stuff on sale, like I did.
Old 7/28/08, 12:01 PM
Retired Tms Staff

Originally Posted by Poco
Almost all the wax and cleaning chemicals are very expensive.Most average about $10.00 a pint-$40.00 a gallon and some it is a lot higher. A guy could spend a fortune trying to find that right shine juice.
I've settle for Meguires Fine Cut Cleaner and 3M Polishing Glaze part#39013.
You got that right. I think I spent over $1,000 this year alone on car care stuff and still have tons of stuff from the past. However I think I have found what I like the best until something new comes out next year....lol.
Old 7/28/08, 06:31 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've spent hundreds in car cleaning /waxing supplies. I have found that the Meguairs Claybar System works the best....now if only I could sell those other supplies. It took me 2.5 hours today to claybar the mustang and I am very impressed with the product.
Old 7/30/08, 07:35 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by adrenalin
Agreed...I am not quite at a 2 day event but I use every bit of a whole saturday to do mine.
Actually did mine this past saturday, started around 8:30am and finished around 6pm and I thought I made pretty good time.
Old 7/30/08, 09:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

The first time I used clay I used it on a 11-12 year old Dodge Stealth along with the 3 step Meguiers kit. I washed, clayed, paint cleaner, polished twice, step three wax and then a coat of gold class paste wax. Looked amazing. I don't think the cleaner is necessary but I bought it and thought it might help the end result. On a newer car probably wouldn't make a difference.

I clayed the mustang the first two weeks of it's life and waxed it with Megs NXT which is easy to use with decent results but doesn't seem to last too well.

Last weekend I did the Mustang again with the following results. Took like 4 hours. Could have spent 6 if I cleaned up the wheel wells and another coat of wax. I used paste gold class on horizontal surfaces and the wheels.

Do you guys clay the headlight lens? Removes bugs but I think I read it's not good for the plastic coating.

More pictures.
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/showthread.php?t=470747
Old 7/31/08, 12:06 PM
NTTAWWT

I think you're only supposed to use clay on paint, glass, and metal (like wheels), you should probably try plastx for the headlights, if they're getting bad looking
Old 7/31/08, 09:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Nah. Probably just stick to the wash rinse and some elbow grease. Basically just scraping the bugs that smack into them on a daily basis.

Originally Posted by StangMahn
I think you're only supposed to use clay on paint, glass, and metal (like wheels), you should probably try plastx for the headlights, if they're getting bad looking
Old 8/2/08, 05:38 PM
Bullitt Member

How long do clay bars last before you have to replace them?

Quick Reply: Clay bar vs. liquid paint cleaner do you really need both?