Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Car Detailing with Sonüs

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/06, 08:38 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Detailing with Sonüs

I ordered my Mustang GT (Tungsten Grey) a couple of weeks ago and hope to have it sometime around Christmas time. And like most new Mustang (car) owners, I really want to have a good start regarding total car care/detailing of this beauty.

Searching on this forum and on the internet I found a lot of car detailing information with two or three big common brands like Meguiars, Zainon and Mothers.
One of the first sites I found was that of www.autopia.org. I found other sites but this is the site I’m still going back to. On their site they are promoting Sonüs and from what I’m reading about it I’m really impressed with this product. But somehow I can not find many reviews of the Sonüs product line. That’s why I would like to ask if there are members of this forum who are having experience with this product and if they would like to post it in this tread.
  1. Are the Sonüs products worth the money?
  2. Is the quality as good, the same or not as good as other detailing brands?
  3. Is it easy to apply?
  4. Do you really need all the special tools (brushes, polishers, towels and sponges) they are promoting? Or can I also buy the same kind of quality tools at Advance Auto Parts, Napa , Autozone or Pepboys?

Thanks for your response in advance.
Old 11/23/06, 12:52 PM
TMS West Coast Correspondent

Ive never used Sonus personally but from what Ive read it doesnt seem much different then Meguiars, Zymol or Zaino professional lines. I actually am a member on that forum and the most commonly used paint polish/protectants used is Meguiars and most of the people on there are professional detailers. I use Meguiars personally for almost everything. For the paint of your car there is nothing better. Easy to use, inexpensive and when used propperly you get an awesome finish above all else and from what Ive heard/read even more than the 9K Zymol Royale treatment (but I have yet to actually speak to someone in person who has dumped the cash to even try that stuff).

You do not need all of the special tools, you definately dont need to buy theirs. You can get some great tools at the local stores you mentioned, although some brushes for some applications are hard to find unless you go to professional detail retailers. Again none of them are NEEDED but if you are going to go all out on a detail then they are definately very helpfull. I have a full lineup of brushes, qtips, pads, mits, towels, ect. to do a full proper detail, but have very few clients that go to that extent on their cars.
Old 11/23/06, 08:02 PM
V6 Member

rrobello: What is your (or anybody ells) opinion of the Klasse All-In-One in combination with layers of P21S?
Old 11/24/06, 10:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Personally, I always use Mequairs products. The paint looks great and feels like glass! But whatever you use, the best thing you probably can do is to wash your car about once a week or so and at least wax it about four times a year. Thats what I do and it is amazing how beautiful the finish is. I use Mequiars Gold Class products. Enjoy your car when you get it.
Old 11/25/06, 02:27 AM

actually you should only wash your car when you have to, even the most **** and least invasive of car washes will put swirls into the paint. the less you touch the car the better if you can, mine is a daily and I wash mine maybe every other month, less if I can help it.

So in short the worse thing you can ever do to your car (maintenance wise) is wash it.
Old 11/26/06, 05:42 AM
Bullitt Member

If you only wash it every other month, how do you get the dust off? Even sitting in the garage, I gets tons of dust and debris on my car. If I were to wipe it off with a towel, I would think that would cause more swirls and scratches than hosing it off and drying it. ?? How do you do it?
Old 11/26/06, 02:43 PM

The key is if its gonna be a daily driver to stay on top of the maintenance. Start with a very good and thorough initial detail with plenty coats of wax and preferably a synthetic sealant. That done it will be much easier to take care of the car. I bartend at night so there is dew on my car when I have to drive it home, thankfully it is a short drive. I garage it and let it sit until it is nice and dry and warm the next morning. The dew will turn into very light dust and I dust it off with a duster. There is much debate on which is better the California duster or one with Microfibers. I see no problem with either, but do notice that the newer, larger Professional California Duster with the wooden handle works much better than the Original California Duster with the plastic handle which has come to be known as the California Scratcher....lol. But only dust off light dust. I then follow up with a quick detailer and microfiber and wipe down the entire car. The synthetic polymers in the detailer lubricates and lifts contaminants off the surface of the paint and the microfiber works well to lift them off the car without scratching or swirling. (the gentleman that took the pics of my car for Meguiars does just this to his Jeep, which is his daily driver, washes it 2 maybe 3 times a year, its a 2000 and is cleaner than my car, the thing looks brand new, amazing!!!). Every now and then after I do this, and only after examining the surface of the paint to make sure its free of above surface contaminants, Ill polish and wax it. If it does have above the surface contaminants and its not bad (in need of a wash), then I claybar those areas first. But this is done rarely. Again this way of taking care of the finish is only if the car gets lightly soiled, if it is deep or large amounts of dirt then a wash is needed to remove it propperly. I also like to occasionally go around the rocker panels and lower parts of the bumper and undercarriage to clean up those harsher dirt deposits from road debris with a wash to those specific areas with 2 buckets, one water, one soapy water, and a dedicated mit for just this purpose, and 2 grit gaurds. I also take the time to clean the wheels more often then the paint since they get dirty quicker.