Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Car Cover Question

Search this Thread

Old 9/28/05, 04:22 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALL

Just got a new car cover. The car (and paint) is less than 6 months old. The instructions say not to use the cover on new paint (less than 6 months old).

I park during the week in a covered garage. It is private access. Other cars park next to my new Stang. I usually park it for 5 days and don't drive it for those 5 days. During that time, a fine layer of dust accumulates on the car. It blows off or I wash it off on weekends when I drive home.

I was thinking that I better not use the cover over the dust..scratches?

Also, the paint is new. Don't want to screw it up. It has been cleaned and waxed.

I was going to use the cover to protect it from the dust. That will work if Icover it before dust settles. Also was covering to protect from dings and chips that may occur from other rude drivers parking next to it.

But, given the new paint, I was not going to use it yet. Also would not want to put it on when there is a layer of dust.

What do you all think?
Old 9/28/05, 05:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I'm curious about general car care myself especially with the winter months rollling around. I myself won't have a garage and assumed a car cover will be needed for snow etc. I'm kind of nervous about snow on my brand new GT...
Old 9/28/05, 05:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by army_eod@September 28, 2005, 3:25 PM
ALL

Just got a new car cover. The car (and paint) is less than 6 months old. The instructions say not to use the cover on new paint (less than 6 months old).

I park during the week in a covered garage. It is private access. Other cars park next to my new Stang. I usually park it for 5 days and don't drive it for those 5 days. During that time, a fine layer of dust accumulates on the car. It blows off or I wash it off on weekends when I drive home.

I was thinking that I better not use the cover over the dust..scratches?

Also, the paint is new. Don't want to screw it up. It has been cleaned and waxed.

I was going to use the cover to protect it from the dust. That will work if Icover it before dust settles. Also was covering to protect from dings and chips that may occur from other rude drivers parking next to it.

But, given the new paint, I was not going to use it yet. Also would not want to put it on when there is a layer of dust.

What do you all think?
Uh.. I don't know why a car cover would ruin a new paint job. I'd like to hear the answer on this too.
Old 9/28/05, 06:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

I have used mine since day one...

How's the paint look...
Old 9/28/05, 06:10 PM
GT Member

I assume you don't put the cover on if there is a layer of dust on the new paint? Meguires just told me that is a good way to trash the paint.
Old 9/28/05, 06:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

If the car is really dirty, I would agree. With only dust, I don't think so. I have had some dust before covering and never an issue.

Besides, it would have a hard time getting through my Zaino's...
Old 9/28/05, 06:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by GTJeff@September 28, 2005, 6:09 PM

How's the paint look...
Looks great!! Got to love a well maintained Torch Red...
Old 9/28/05, 08:04 PM
DEA

Originally posted by GTJeff@September 28, 2005, 5:09 PM

How's the paint look...
Jeff is that a 58 Vette? Sweet.... And the stang looks great to!
Old 9/28/05, 09:01 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by army_eod@September 28, 2005, 8:13 PM
I assume you don't put the cover on if there is a layer of dust on the new paint? Meguires just told me that is a good way to trash the paint.
I think the car cover company was referring to a paint job from Maaco or something.as far as not using it over dust..How would most people use them then..when you drive to your destination,you get dust on it.No one is gonna wash their car at work just to put the cover on.If there is sand,that's a different story.I wouldn't put it on then.
some people might wash their car at work to put on their cover.I forgot,I'm on a MUSTANG site O.C.D. is spreading like a fire!!
Old 9/28/05, 09:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by DEA@September 28, 2005, 8:07 PM
Jeff is that a 58 Vette? Sweet.... And the stang looks great to!

59. I parked next to him at a car show, to try and make him look bad...
Old 9/29/05, 03:43 AM
GT Member

Yes..OCD is an issue here.

I have same problem with my guns.

:bang:
Old 9/29/05, 06:48 AM
Retired Tms Staff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well that is a good question. My car gets painted at the end of october. As soon as it is done I'll be driving it home, washing it, and then storing it for 6 months. I was going to put a cover on it so it doesn't get covered in dust. I'll ask the painter what he thinks.
Old 9/29/05, 07:13 AM
Cobra Member

I think they are thinking about covers outside in the wind.

In a garage. As long as the cover breaths I see no problem. In any case 30 days should be way more than enough time.

I never put a cover on a dusty car. Why would I want any kind of build up on the contact side of my car cover? A Cal-duster can dust a clean car in two minutes. I can dust, detail and remove light spots of bugs and road gime off the O5 in less than 10 mins with a few micofiber towels and spray detailer. If you're in a hurry skip the wheels, nothing less.
Old 9/29/05, 07:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I got my cover from California Car Cover and I had a long chat with the salesman about how I was going to use it. Like you, it's to protect daily at work against windblown dust, but I am also parking outside in the blazing desert sun.

1) he recommended a NOAH cover as it's got the softest inner layer they make; 2) he provided me with a Car Duster and said use it ever time before putting the cover on, and 3) he said wash the car frequently like once a week.

I picking my car up tonight and I'm going to Zaino the heck out of it Saturday. I may also put the cover on when I get home each day and put it away in the garage.
Old 9/29/05, 04:03 PM
GT Member

OK, folks. Here is the answer about covers on a new car.

The Car Cover folks had a warning about using a cover on a freshly painted car. That DOES NOT include new cars. OK for a cover to go on a new car.