Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Borla/FRPP Rolled Tips - Cleaning and Polishing

Search this Thread

Old 4/8/07 | 06:18 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Borla/FRPP Rolled Tips - Cleaning and Polishing

I have been doing a really good job keeping my tips polished with a stainless steel cleaner however there are some scuff marks and what almost looks like tarnished regions on the rolled part of one of my exhaust tips.

Typically the left exhaust tip gets dirtier than the right. The carbon built up a lot one time and it was hard to get off so yours truely decided to use a light kitchen abrasive pad on it. I may have scuffed it some and I'm not sure if that is causing some of the tarnishing......

....either way, anyone have a good way to polish the tips back to the mirror like finish? It may take more than elbow grease?

Thanks,
Dan
Old 4/8/07 | 06:29 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

The Stinger tips are some of the best around. I had them... My Flows are dull in comparison. Any type of mild polish paste will do the job. A dremel, or some other type of buffing device, will really bring out the shine
Old 4/8/07 | 10:01 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I was thinking dremel too but was worried about damage...... know of the type of tool I should use?
Old 4/8/07 | 10:43 PM
V6 Member

If you have scratches in stainless steel that you are having a hard time polishing out, you can try some 2000 grit sandpaper and then polish with a PowerBall on a cordless drill and PowerMetal polish -- or your favorite polish for the stainless steel. Problem is that stainless can be very hard and it will take some time.
Old 4/9/07 | 09:07 AM

I just use some Turtle Wax Chrome Polish applying it by hand.
Old 4/9/07 | 07:33 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I think I'm definately going to try polishes before any electric tool. Anyone know if the tips are polished stainless or chrome plated?
Old 4/9/07 | 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dan
I think I'm definately going to try polishes before any electric tool. Anyone know if the tips are polished stainless or chrome plated?
Looks chrome plated to me.
Old 4/10/07 | 05:53 AM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I think its mirror polished stainless Bill.
Old 4/10/07 | 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dan
I think its mirror polished stainless Bill.
Now that I look at the forward section of the tips, they do look polished. But, just looking where the rolled tips are, I thought they were plated.

Old 4/11/07 | 12:34 AM
V6 Member

Borla says you can use chrome polish on their T-304 stainless systems... so that would carry over to the FRPP system.

So try a chrome polish, but if that doesn't do it, go more aggressive... stainless can be difficult to polish scratches if you're removing material to do so.
Old 4/11/07 | 02:40 PM

I used Turtle Wax Chrome polish this weekend due to the tarnish from the exhaust and they came out like brand new!! But they do get dirty fast!!! Love the Borla's!!!!
Old 4/14/07 | 09:55 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

I used mag/chrome polish and stainless polish rubbing as hard as I could and no luck.

There is an orange coloured thin band on the rolled part on the lower half of the exhaust. I took a pic and will post. I don't know what the heck is causing that? It has been a while since I cleaned it and the exhaust went through the winter.
Old 4/15/07 | 02:56 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

Okay guys/gals, I got around to taking some pics (below). I've tried rust remover, chrome polish, aluminum/mag polish and 400 grit sandpaper followed by polish....this ring won't come off. If anything, the sandpaper made the ring extend around the top half of the tip's inner lip since I sanded the whole thing.

Also, when I took it for a drive the orange band got brighter and grew. I was able to wipe off some of the orange material at the end of the drive.

Any clue what it is and how to get rid of this. I think I might e-mail borla because this is depressing......my tips were always so shiney

Thanks,
Dan
Attached Thumbnails Borla/FRPP Rolled Tips - Cleaning and Polishing-borlatip1.jpg   Borla/FRPP Rolled Tips - Cleaning and Polishing-borlatip2.jpg  
Old 4/15/07 | 07:50 PM

Hey Dan, mine get quickly tarnished as well, similiar to that orange ring you're getting.

It has to be the condensation and/or exhaust gases that's causing it. I think the key is to stay on top of it by frequently polishing the tips.
Old 4/15/07 | 08:48 PM
Dan
Do You Remember Me?

The orange ring gets lighter after a polish but never goes away completely.

There must be a solution to this?

I will be staying ontop of it from now on (every wash).
Old 5/8/07 | 09:31 AM
Cobra Member

I have never had this problem with my stainless tips. Then again I have never bought an exhaust system, I always let the shop mount the mufflers and then they let me choose my tips (of which I always choose Silverline) Even on my past V6 the silver line beveled edge tip never tarnished. I am interested to know the fix for this just in case. Good luck
Old 5/21/07 | 09:04 PM
FR500 Member

the bottom of the tips on my brothers 03 mach (has stingers) kinda bronzed it looks like...he has a prochamber if that had any effect i dont know
Old 5/23/07 | 07:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

Never dull never scratches either
Old 5/26/07 | 10:07 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RaGsHoCkEy88
the bottom of the tips on my brothers 03 mach (has stingers) kinda bronzed it looks like...he has a prochamber if that had any effect i dont know
Mine also have that bronze look at the bottom as well, Im going to try that turtle wax and see what happens.
Old 9/18/07 | 07:46 PM
Closet American

It's gotta be a more permanent chemical reaction taking place below the surface, which is why rubbing and polishing isn't removing it; likely caused by a combination of the exhaust gases and moisture/condensation.

Not sure what to suggest as a solution, though. Perhaps someone at a custom muffler shop might have seen this before and be able to offer a suggestion that affects the metalurgy at a deeper level.

Quick Reply: Borla/FRPP Rolled Tips - Cleaning and Polishing