Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Best tips for maintaining my ride

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/13, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best tips for maintaining my ride

Hey All,

this is my first post, (fitting as I just got my first Mustang 3 days ago) It's a 2011 V6 3.7L with 28k miles on it. Recently the transmission blew on my hand-me-down 2006 Ford Escape, and I wanna make sure I do as much as much as possible to look after my new ride and keep it running great for as long as I can. I've read through my owners manual as far as routine maintenance as service go. I plan to adhere to the schedule, but I really wanted to see what some of your personal thoughts/opinions/experiences were on engine maintenance. (oil, filters, checking/changing fluids and things of that nature) I always heard change the oil every 3k miles, but the manual says I can go for 10k between changes...I'm more inclined to change every 3 since I'm paranoid about that.. I'm not a car or engine whiz, but I'm ready to take on the learning curve and and be responsible for the care for my new car as best I can with no extra help...ideally, I'd really like to keep the trips to the dealer for the mandatory services/checkups that I can't do myself.

Any tips/input on how to keep everything good under the hood would be great.. thanks guys.
Old 2/6/13, 10:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by dmk3
Hey All,

this is my first post, (fitting as I just got my first Mustang 3 days ago) It's a 2011 V6 3.7L with 28k miles on it. Recently the transmission blew on my hand-me-down 2006 Ford Escape, and I wanna make sure I do as much as much as possible to look after my new ride and keep it running great for as long as I can. I've read through my owners manual as far as routine maintenance as service go. I plan to adhere to the schedule, but I really wanted to see what some of your personal thoughts/opinions/experiences were on engine maintenance. (oil, filters, checking/changing fluids and things of that nature) I always heard change the oil every 3k miles, but the manual says I can go for 10k between changes...I'm more inclined to change every 3 since I'm paranoid about that.. I'm not a car or engine whiz, but I'm ready to take on the learning curve and and be responsible for the care for my new car as best I can with no extra help...ideally, I'd really like to keep the trips to the dealer for the mandatory services/checkups that I can't do myself.

Any tips/input on how to keep everything good under the hood would be great.. thanks guys.
The oil change interval thing is guaranteed to start debate (just do a search and you'll see). But, I think 95% of guys on here would agree that 3K miles is overkill and nothing but a marketing ploy for quick-lube places. For some perspective, Ford was recommending 6,000 mile intervals on Mustangs in the late 60's...so it's not a new thing. You would be doing nothing wrong if you followed what your oil life monitor tells you. Personally, what I do is probably overkill, but I change it every 5,000 miles or 3 months, so four oil changes per year. It's cheap preventative maintenance. 3K is nuts though.

The manual's service recommendations section is pretty indecipherable. Again, just my opinion, but I'm planning on changing transmission fluid and coolant every two years, and maybe the rear axle fluid then too. Not sure what everybody else thinks about those maintenance items.
Old 2/6/13, 10:47 PM
Cobra Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
I've usually had my oil and filter changed on our cars about every 3K miles, but I have a friend who owns a repair business. He and I exchange services. I help him with his computers and he changes my oil and filter for free. I suspect the oil life indicator is pretty reliable these days. I would be very nervous about a 10K interval.

I'm glad you started this thread because I have a new convertible on order. I am replacing a Honda S2000. Based on recommendations from the S2000 owners, I used 303 Aerospace Protectant on the top of my S2000. I'm curious about what Mustang convertible owners use to protect their tops.
Old 2/6/13, 10:51 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I run my royal purple 5K, change the motorcraft filter I use, add a quart then run another 5k. No problems whatsoever.
Old 2/7/13, 04:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My advice would be to just keep it clean, inside and out. Much easier to maintain a great looking car.
I cringe whenever I see a dirty mustang
Old 2/7/13, 05:47 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by SilverSkoundrel
I run my royal purple 5K, change the motorcraft filter I use, add a quart then run another 5k. No problems whatsoever.
+1

Do this and your engine will last a LONG time.
Old 2/7/13, 05:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From here:

http://v6mustangperformance.com/news...ine-explained/

2011 Ford Mustang Engine Deep Sump Oil Pan
The Duratec 3.7 V-6 uses a deep-sump oil pan that helps provide 10,000-mile oil-change intervals.

Those that use full synthetic and dump their oil every 3 to 6k are wasting money.

There are those that say they love their car, so it gets full synthetic and dump it at 6K....I too appretiate my Mustang, but utilize the benefits of semi or full synthetic oil change intervals. I drive about 700 miles a week, and like the idea I can spend the time pampering my Mustang with a good car wash and detailing, rather than change its oil every 3 to 6K.

Last edited by Bucko; 2/7/13 at 05:56 AM.
Old 2/7/13, 05:58 AM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by tukatz
I've usually had my oil and filter changed on our cars about every 3K miles, but I have a friend who owns a repair business. He and I exchange services. I help him with his computers and he changes my oil and filter for free. I suspect the oil life indicator is pretty reliable these days. I would be very nervous about a 10K interval.

I'm glad you started this thread because I have a new convertible on order. I am replacing a Honda S2000. Based on recommendations from the S2000 owners, I used 303 Aerospace Protectant on the top of my S2000. I'm curious about what Mustang convertible owners use to protect their tops.
Ragtop convertible kit from autogreek.com for tough clean up.

Otherwise little soap and water will go along way.
Old 2/7/13, 06:08 AM
MJJ
Bullitt Member

Hey All,

I am part of the 5% that still changes oil at 3000k or less. Call it therapy but it works for me. Also have the SVT tech do a full multi point inspection at the same time.

Keep the car clean as mentioned before and wipe down the engine bay weekly.

Get some weather tech floor mats (digital fit) before your carpet gets trashed.

When starting up let it run at least a minute then drive normal for at least 5 minutes before any spirited driving. Many people get in start it up and 30 seconds later have their accelerator mashed without having their engine internals up to operating temp.

Follow your recommended maintenance in your owners manual.

You will be good to go. Enjoy your new car.
Old 2/7/13, 07:14 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hey All,
this is my first post, (fitting as I just got my first Mustang 3 days ago) It's a 2011 V6 3.7L with 28k miles on it. Recently the transmission blew on my hand-me-down 2006 Ford Escape, and I wanna make sure I do as much as much as possible to look after my new ride and keep it running great for as long as I can. I've read through my owners manual as far as routine maintenance as service go. I plan to adhere to the schedule, but I really wanted to see what some of your personal thoughts/opinions/experiences were on engine maintenance...
Hello dmk3,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service. You can get your maintenance info in your Owner’s Guide (3rd Printing), starting on page 327. Your vehicle is equipped with the Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™ (IOLM) system which displays a message in the message center at the proper oil change service interval; this interval may be up to one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km). It must be reset after each oil change. If your message center is prematurely reset or becomes inoperative, you should perform the oil change interval at six months or 5,000 miles (8,000 km) from your last oil change and visit your Ford dealer for diagnosis. I’m here to help where I can. I hope you’re enjoying your ride!

Deysha
Old 2/7/13, 08:55 AM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by M88K

+1

Do this and your engine will last a LONG time.
Old 3/12/13, 08:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MJJ
I am part of the 5% that still changes oil at 3000k or less. Call it therapy but it works for me. Also have the SVT tech do a full multi point inspection at the same time.

Keep the car clean as mentioned before and wipe down the engine bay weekly.

Get some weather tech floor mats (digital fit) before your carpet gets trashed.

When starting up let it run at least a minute then drive normal for at least 5 minutes before any spirited driving. Many people get in start it up and 30 seconds later have their accelerator mashed without having their engine internals up to operating temp.

Follow your recommended maintenance in your owners manual.

You will be good to go. Enjoy your new car.

Nice tips and the weather tech floor mats are great
Old 3/13/13, 06:29 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm not trying to start another oil change interval debate, but if you're really curious what kind of life your oil has when you change it, pay the $25 for a Blackstone Labs report (www.blackstonelabs.com) and you'll get more info than you know what to do with in terms of the metals and other materials in your oil. First time I did that with my Mustang, I changed it at 5K and they told me 7,500K would not be an issue for the oil at all. That hasn't changed my 5K habit but I'm glad I know at least. Going by oil color or "I've done it that way for 30 years" isn't as good as hard, scientific evidence.