Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

The 'ask any detailing question' thread

Search this Thread

Old 3/29/13, 09:48 AM
Detailing Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
#1. Have a PDR guy do the best he can.

#2. Buy a new door panel.
Old 3/29/13, 09:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
whats the best way to fix this
Take that into a body shop. They'll be able to pull it out and smooth that out.
Old 4/7/13, 08:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Follow up to my previous posts on this thread about bird crap eating the clear coat, I did a thorough wash yesterday, followed by Zaino z6 QD, then used Meguiars 105 the 205 on the bird crap spot, it helped and made the area less noticeable, but it is still there. I may have to get a mechanical buffer to really smooth it out. At least it is not as bad as it was, BTW I am a perfectionist when it comes to cleaning the GT, my wife thinks I am crazy for keeping it so clean.
Sure wish a company could come up with a good product for this problem, Love Birds HATE the CRAP!!
Old 4/8/13, 07:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

I have a question, paint pros. When doing paint correction, what is really going on with the clear coat? At what point should i begin to worry about the thickness of the clear coat when using a dual action polisher? Suppose I did swirl removal last year, but it wasnt perfect and want to try again. I do my best with two bucket wash, micro fibers and grit guards, but Already see fine lines. How long will a clear coat last if I do paint correction every year or two? And then how do you know when clear coat needs to be re-applied?
Old 4/8/13, 08:32 AM
Detailing Guru

Originally Posted by max5ive0
I have a question, paint pros. When doing paint correction, what is really going on with the clear coat? At what point should i begin to worry about the thickness of the clear coat when using a dual action polisher? Suppose I did swirl removal last year, but it wasnt perfect and want to try again. I do my best with two bucket wash, micro fibers and grit guards, but Already see fine lines. How long will a clear coat last if I do paint correction every year or two? And then how do you know when clear coat needs to be re-applied?
That's a very good question Max5, and it shows you're really getting into detailing and thinking about the long term care of your baby and not just here and now.

As you point out, you only have so much clear-coat, and polishing is an abrasive action in which you're mechanically removing some of it. How much you're removing depends on various factors like how aggressive you're polishing or the hardness of the clear, and you can imagine that a very aggressive polish paired with an aggressive pad is a completely different animal than a good finishing combo.

First, let's talk about your stock OEM paint.
Usually somewhere around 40-60% of your total paint thickness is the clear-coat. This is the layer designed to give your paint protection and gloss, and it also has UV ray inhibitors. One of the issues professional detailers are going to be running into more and more as time goes on is they'll have less material to work with because nearly ever car company is doing everything they can to lower the cost of manufacturing. While most new cars had total paint thickness of 120-160 microns (1/1000th of a millimeter), some of the new BMW's and Audi's I've recently worked on had total paint thickness of 65-85 microns. Lucky for you, all the Mustang's I've read on were still in the 140-160 range, but we'll see what happens on the all new 2015 models when they come out.

Next, you need to know how you're impacting that OEM thickness.
Extremely aggressive polishing in which you're doing multiple cutting steps followed by polishing and finally finishing can yield 2-3 microns of clear removed. A single finishing step, should you just need to remove the lightest of defects, can be so light that a paint thickness gauge like I use can't even read the difference. In that case, we're talking about less than a micron.
From this information, you can clearly see the benefits of taking proper care of your car. The two-bucket wash method, microfiber towels, and fancy products aren't there so you never have any defects: they're there to lower the risk to your car and make sure that if you do install any marks that'll need to be removed from your clear-coat, they're very shallow.

I hope by now you can understand how there's no real way to answer how many times you can polish your own car; it depends on many different variables. There's certainly a limit to how much clear-coat can be removed, and it's certainly something to think about each time you want to get your baby looking perfect. When you're talking about long-term care, you need to take into account how long you want to have this vehicle, and what types of defects you can and can not live with. Just know if you're only getting very light defects, or you're only removing very light defects: you're doing a lot of things right, and you're increasing the life of your OEM paint job.
Old 4/8/13, 01:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great response, thanks a Ton, Marc. I think I will go ahead and take a micron or two to ensure it is right this year. You just hit me with some knowledge!
Old 4/11/13, 06:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Panel of Experts! I have been reading a bit about clear coats since trying to figure out which polishes to purchase. Menzerna mentions the new scratch resistant clears used by some German manufacturers, (ceramic?, and the thinner paint processes MarcHarris mentions? correct me if I'm wrong) but I am assuming our lower budget Mustangs are still using the softer acrylic clears that marr and swirl easier, but also correct easier. Am I on the right assumption, so that I make the proper polish selection?
Also, saw a recommendation for Liquid Glass, and has a lot of 5 star reviews on AutoGeek. I might try it unless someone gives me a reason not to. Would it be used in place of a sealant?
Thanks in advance!
Old 4/11/13, 07:29 AM
Detailing Guru

Panel of Experts! I have been reading a bit about clear coats since trying to figure out which polishes to purchase. Menzerna mentions the new scratch resistant clears used by some German manufacturers, (ceramic?, and the thinner paint processes MarcHarris mentions? correct me if I'm wrong) but I am assuming our lower budget Mustangs are still using the softer acrylic clears that marr and swirl easier, but also correct easier. Am I on the right assumption, so that I make the proper polish selection?
Also, saw a recommendation for Liquid Glass, and has a lot of 5 star reviews on AutoGeek. I might try it unless someone gives me a reason not to. Would it be used in place of a sealant?
Thanks in advance!
Menzerna used to be used in Mercedes factories as well as a couple of other places. The clear you speak of is made by PPG and is their CeramiClear: http://www.ppg.com/coatings/autooem/...clearcoat.aspx

Lamborghini and Ferrari have been using it for some time as it really helps clueless owners to not have their exotics looking like a soup sandwich after only a year or two.

Mustang clear is about a medium in terms of hardness IME.

Stay away from AG.
Old 4/11/13, 07:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

AG? Do you mean silver?

Last edited by max5ive0; 4/11/13 at 05:06 PM.
Old 4/11/13, 07:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

where else should I get supplies? This is only for personal use for my own car so I don't need a bulk supplier. Can anyone recommend a system? I was leaning towards Adams for polishing because their polish and pads seem to be an easy combo. Still trying to figure out what to choose for glaze or sealant, and wax. I am liking a lot of what I hear about Zaino, but after watching some how to videos on Adams, all their products seem pretty self explanatory and at least respectable results achievable to an amateur like myself. That being said, if anyone else on here has no idea what detailing is about, go to Adam's detailing and watch their videos for an elementary detailing education. http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx. I thought they were very informative! again, from an amateur point of view!

Last edited by max5ive0; 4/11/13 at 05:06 PM.
Old 4/15/13, 11:27 PM
Legacy TMS Member

My son just recently two-toned my WVB convertible, now black over blue. I have never had a black car and it is a PITA to keep clean. Not afraid of hard work, just do not want to use mechanical buffer.

Car is clay bar'd, polished and paste waxed 3 times a year, McGuires products, weekly bath followed by detail spray or liquid carnuba... looks nice but not... WOW! Advice on quality products please...
Old 4/15/13, 11:38 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by delz05
My son just recently two-toned my WVB convertible, now black over blue. I have never had a black car and it is a PITA to keep clean. Not afraid of hard work, just do not want to use mechanical buffer.

Car is clay bar'd, polished and paste waxed 3 times a year, McGuires products, weekly bath followed by detail spray or liquid carnuba... looks nice but not... WOW! Advice on quality products please...
I work in detailing for about a year (so not an expert) but mothers IMO makes very got quality products.. Haven't found abetted metal polisher yet..and I prefer there clay bar over McGuires (more so the detailing/lubricator spray).. I use a electrical buffer (very low powered) to apply wax.. Does wonders... Also spend a couple extra bucks on a good soap.. You won't get a good finished product if you don't start out right..

P.s. I had a black msutang and yes it's awful to keep clean.. One thing I found out ( may just be me) but after a good wash/clay/wax.. The next day or so do a basic wash on it with soap that won't remove wax.. It's helps keep it cleaner/longer..
Old 4/15/13, 11:50 PM
V6 Member

And I used a rubbing compound (out of the bottle aka turtle wax brand) applied it like wax being a little rougher.. After wash and clay bar.. And i never seen my car shine better.. The day I did it.. And tust me 12 year old paint look amazing best pictures I got...

The 'ask any detailing question' thread-image-3468534625.jpg

The 'ask any detailing question' thread-image-4234559456.jpg
Old 4/16/13, 12:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Sixpac...
Old 4/16/13, 12:08 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by delz05
Thanks Sixpac...
Another thing which you probably no.. Make sure your towles/mits/sponges are always clean.. Our black cars are super prone to swirls and oxidation..
Old 4/16/13, 08:03 AM
Detailing Guru

where else should I get supplies? This is only for personal use for my own car so I don't need a bulk supplier. Can anyone recommend a system? I was leaning towards Adams for polishing because their polish and pads seem to be an easy combo. Still trying to figure out what to choose for glaze or sealant, and wax. I am liking a lot of what I hear about Zaino, but after watching some how to videos on Adams, all their products seem pretty self explanatory and at least respectable results achievable to an amateur like myself. That being said, if anyone else on here has no idea what detailing is about, go to Adam's detailing and watch their videos for an elementary detailing education. http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx. I thought they were very informative! again, from an amateur point of view!
Look into places like detailedimage.com detailersdomain.com and buffdaddy.com

Adam's is known for making some nice stuff, and I think they still have their 110% guarantee where if you don't like something, they'll pay you back 110% for the product+your time. Customer service is a key for companies like them and Griot's Garage.

Originally Posted by Sixpac
Another thing which you probably no.. Make sure your towles/mits/sponges are always clean.. Our black cars are super prone to swirls and oxidation..
Some very good advice right there.
Old 4/16/13, 08:51 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by MarcHarris

Adam's is known for making some nice stuff, and I think they still have their 110% guarantee where if you don't like something, they'll pay you back 110% for the product+your time. Customer service is a key for companies like them and Griot's Garage.

Yeah my dad used the brush at the car wash once on my car.. And holy cow swirl heaven.. But props for him washing it he drove it down to Kansas and he knows I like a clean car..
Old 4/16/13, 10:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MarcHarris

Thanks Marc. I just ordered some of the Eurows double microfiber towels, and a couple DODO JUICE products and various other things from detailed image. Going to wait to order my polishes and pads until I get a chance for you to evaluate my ride and what she needs. Hope to see you soon, when the sun comes out!
Old 4/16/13, 12:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
how do you feel about waterless wash products?
Old 4/16/13, 05:13 PM
Detailing Guru

Thanks Marc. I just ordered some of the Eurows double microfiber towels, and a couple DODO JUICE products and various other things from detailed image. Going to wait to order my polishes and pads until I get a chance for you to evaluate my ride and what she needs. Hope to see you soon, when the sun comes out!
Right on man. You're close enough to stop by anytime you want in the evening on a weekday as well. My number is on my website.
Those Eurow towels are awesome - great for quick detailing or applying a spray wax / spray sealant

Originally Posted by Glenn
how do you feel about waterless wash products?
Not personally a fan, but I know some detailers around the country that love some of that stuff.

Quick Reply: The 'ask any detailing question' thread