Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Armor All Wheel Protectant!

Search this Thread

Old 3/31/10, 07:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for a dumb question:
If they can create this stuff for wheels...why can't they do this stuff for paint?
Old 3/31/10, 08:03 AM

actually, a number of companies are producing similar products for paint. i haven't yet tried zaino's clear seal, but it sounds very promising.
Old 3/31/10, 08:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nite
actually, a number of companies are producing similar products for paint. i haven't yet tried zaino's clear seal, but it sounds very promising.
I have a bottle of Clear Seal. Not really a fan of it. It left a wierd color (like an oil slick) film that was a PITA to wipe off.
Old 3/31/10, 08:45 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Imatk
Yeah I'm gonna pick some up today, I figure why not it's free

Whats the free deal?
Old 3/31/10, 08:47 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Shotokan1509
Whats the free deal?
If you are going to buy other of their products anyway.
Old 3/31/10, 09:03 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TacoBill
I have a bottle of Clear Seal. Not really a fan of it. It left a wierd color (like an oil slick) film that was a PITA to wipe off.

How much did you use? Their FAQ says that's a sign of using too much. Something about being able to wipe down an entire vette in 10 sprays? I've never touched the stuff, but am curious.
Old 3/31/10, 09:16 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm doing an experiment that I will conclude tomorrow.

I used the Wheel Protectant on two of my wheels (front and rear driver side) and left my other two wheels without it.

I'll post up pictures of the difference.
Old 3/31/10, 09:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm doing an experiment that I will conclude tomorrow.

I used the Wheel Protectant on two of my wheels (front and rear driver side) and left my other two wheels without it.

I'll post up pictures of the difference.
Cool beans.
Old 4/1/10, 12:20 AM
Bullitt Member

Any hardcore detailing guys laughing about this inside?
Old 4/1/10, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Dixie_Flatline
How much did you use? Their FAQ says that's a sign of using too much. Something about being able to wipe down an entire vette in 10 sprays? I've never touched the stuff, but am curious.
I followed the directions the best I could, maybe I sprayed too much.. who knows.

I'll just stick to my Z-6. It's cheaper and easier to deal with.

Originally Posted by NastyStang113
Any hardcore detailing guys laughing about this inside?
I won't be laughing if this stuff repels all the brake dust off the inside of my wheels.
Old 4/1/10, 10:13 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
I followed the directions the best I could, maybe I sprayed too much.. who knows.

I'll just stick to my Z-6. It's cheaper and easier to deal with.
Yeah, you sprayed on too much.
It takes a very thin coat and it takes a while to dry if it is below 60 degrees.
It is a sealant, not a polish.
I use it to seal all the layers of Zaino polish on my car.
You and I probably don't need it because we are not on the road as much.
I like it and it takes very little time to apply (just time to dry).
After it is dry, you can put on the Z6 or Z8.
That also will clean off extra sealant pretty easily.
Old 4/1/10, 12:28 PM
Team Mustang Source

It's just another marketing gimmick. If you spray on too much you can use your Sham-WOW to take it off.
Old 4/1/10, 04:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I won't be laughing if this stuff repels all the brake dust off the inside of my wheels.
If you want to repel the brake dust than pick up a good quality wheel sealant like Poorboy's Wheel Sealant and you'll be good to go.
Old 4/2/10, 10:37 AM

If you want to repel the brake dust than pick up a good quality wheel sealant like Poorboy's Wheel Sealant and you'll be good to go.
Looks like good stuff, better be at $19.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 4/2/10, 02:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
19 bucks rofl no thanks
Old 4/2/10, 02:58 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The good stuff is almost never cheap...
Old 4/2/10, 03:44 PM
Cobra Member

Where are you guys getting this $19 figure?

I bought a can of it for 8 bucks at Autozone.

As for Poor Boy's Wheel Sealant... I've tried that too, but if you're going to go with a wax, any quality wax or sealant will be fine. There's no need to buy a special "Wheel Sealant" as they don't seem to differ in performance.

I usually use Z2 pro (Zaino stuff) on my wheels, and it works pretty well, but doesn't really "repel" brake dust.

After a week of driving my car, the wheel that had the Armor All Protectant on it is noticeably cleaner than the wheel with no Armor All Protectant.

It's raining here in Texas today, but tomorrow it's supposed to be sunny so I'll post up comparison photos before I wash my car.

BTW I've been detailing as a side business for about five years now.

I do anything from a regular wash/wax to full paint correction, and any product that can make my life easier on a repeat client is of interest to me... and I wasn't laughing when I saw the video... that's why I posted it
Old 4/2/10, 08:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Neat video. Good to know that if I get honey on my wheels, it'll come right off!!

Usually these types of products aren't good for chrome as they leave a haze on them, but I'll check into it anyway..
Old 4/2/10, 09:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Iceknyght
The good stuff is almost never cheap...
Funny how that works isn't it? A lot of these guys are okay with spending thousands of dollars in mods but gawk at the thought of a $19 wheel sealant that will last years? Crazy.

As for Poor Boy's Wheel Sealant... I've tried that too, but if you're going to go with a wax, any quality wax or sealant will be fine. There's no need to buy a special "Wheel Sealant" as they don't seem to differ in performance.
Boy this couldn't be any further from the truth. ANY wax isn't going to be "fine" on a wheel. Maybe, a quality sealant, synthetic wax, or preferably a WHEEL SEALANT is going to do the job. A carnuba wax is never going to hold up to the temperatures of a wheel. Ever heard of Collinite #845? It's an insulator wax that was originally created to stop flash fires on power lines. Quality wheel waxes have used that composition to make a sealant that is durable in a hot environment like a wheel. As far as detailing on the side for 5 years... I know guys who have been detailing for 15 years and they are still hacks at what they do. It really means nothing. Poorboys doesn't sell an expensive quality product, one of the cheaper quality brands.

Last edited by NastyStang113; 4/2/10 at 09:28 PM.
Old 4/3/10, 07:42 AM
Cobra Member

Funny how that works isn't it? A lot of these guys are okay with spending thousands of dollars in mods but gawk at the thought of a $19 wheel sealant that will last years? Crazy.

Boy this couldn't be any further from the truth. ANY wax isn't going to be "fine" on a wheel. Maybe, a quality sealant, synthetic wax, or preferably a WHEEL SEALANT is going to do the job. A carnuba wax is never going to hold up to the temperatures of a wheel. Ever heard of Collinite #845? It's an insulator wax that was originally created to stop flash fires on power lines. Quality wheel waxes have used that composition to make a sealant that is durable in a hot environment like a wheel. As far as detailing on the side for 5 years... I know guys who have been detailing for 15 years and they are still hacks at what they do. It really means nothing. Poorboys doesn't sell an expensive quality product, one of the cheaper quality brands.
Wow... umm ok... well since I'm a hack then you can just disregard my advice... sorry for the post.

Collinite #845 I've never heard of that, thanks for the heads up man.

----

So for my serious reply, this is all my opinion... if you want to buy Poorboy's Wheel Sealant then by all means go right ahead, it's a quality product.

I've actually used that product and found it to last no longer than when I use Zaino or (GASP) yes Clearkote Carnuba Moose (my preference for carnuba wax at the moment).

PB Wheel Sealant is also a bit more difficult to work with than either of the listed products, it's a bit harder to remove.

Collinite on the other hand is a very good wax that's very durable and will also work well on your wheels. The Collinite 476s is my preference as it's performance is on par with 915 and it's a bit cheaper as well.

Collonite can be bought over the counter at many parts stores as well if you're interested.

As I wrote before the only reason I posted this was because it's a product that does happen to work, and I thought you guys might be interested.

I find it odd that someone like NastyStang would argue so fervently against a product before he's even bothered to use it.

I'm more of an open-minded person so I like to try things for myself before I completely dismiss them based on internet advice.

NastyStang if you like PB products, check out Chemical Guys. Chemical Guys is kind of known to produce PB's formulas and there are equivalent products from CG that are cheaper than Poorboy's as well.

Or don't... just a suggestion.

Quick Reply: Armor All Wheel Protectant!