Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Anyboy use an air compressor for detailing?

Search this Thread

Old 7/6/14, 02:37 PM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Anyboy use an air compressor for detailing?

Figured I'd ask this here for more exposure.....

Thinking about a smaller, inexpensive Craftsman compressor for blowing dust/pollen/wax particle residue off the car...also use it to blow water and get into hard to reach areas under the hood.

I'm starting to see more swirl marks than I'm willing to live with and I suspect I'm making it worse by wiping dust into the clear coat even with detailing sprays.

I don't need anything elaborate for power tools, but it'd also be used as a tire inflator.

Looks I can get a decent unit with a better hose, blow nozzle and inflator in the $200 range.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Tom
Old 7/6/14, 02:42 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
not a bad idea if you got the money. I use my leafblower to dry off the wheels occasionally and to speed up the rag top drying. As for drying the body i always use 2-3 new microfiber cloths. I have thousands of them lol
Old 7/6/14, 02:54 PM
FR500 Member

It's not the drying that concerns me as much.

Being black, it's a dust magnet and almost every day before I take it out I wipe it down woth microfiber cloths and detailing spray.

Today in strong sunlight I noticed a lot of swirl marks despite my best efforts to keep it spotless and as dust free as possible.

I figured an air compressor might help me keep dirt off of it without a hands on daily detaing. Of course it has other uses too so that's where I'm leaning.

Tom
Old 7/6/14, 03:00 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
Being black, it's a dust magnet and almost every day before I take it out I wipe it down woth microfiber cloths and detailing spray.
I don't trust that. I don't trust 'dry wash' either. I don't touch my finish with a microfiber unless its wet from washing. Which only takes an hour incl door jambs, wheels, and underhood. I live off a dirt road and I'm just afraid of rubbing dust in so I always wash it with soap first before using a micro.
By the time you wipe the entire finish with detailing spray, might have well have just hosed & washed it. IMO
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14

Thinking about a smaller, inexpensive Craftsman compressor for blowing dust/pollen/wax particle residue off the car...also use it to blow water and get into hard to reach areas under the hood.
I don't trust that or a leaf blower because neither has very good filtration if any. So you may be blowing grit ONTO your finish.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/6/14 at 03:06 PM.
Old 7/6/14, 03:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Quick detailer only takes me half the time of washing, I do it often when it's just a little dusty.

In my experience the air compressor is alright for getting water out of cracks and recesses (especially the grille), but it sucks for panels and other flat surfaces.
Old 7/6/14, 03:07 PM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
I don't trust that. I don't trust 'dry wash' either. I only touch my finish with a microfiber while its wet from washing. Which only takes an hour incl door jambs, wheels, and underhood.
By the time you wipe the entire finish with detailing spray, might have well have just hosed & washed it.

I hear you. But I've become compulsive about keeping it as dust free as possible before I cruise, especially to shows. It's not always practical to wash it every few days, and that's why I've been using detail spray w/microfiber. And I think I may have exacerbated the surface scratches and swirl marks in the process.

Tom
Old 7/6/14, 03:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
A filtered air blower is probably what you want. The compressor isn't filtered and can act like a sandblaster if anything gets into the stream. I have a filtered air blower that I'm currently selling simply because I don't use it anymore; not nearly as OCD about the paint as some are, at least to that extent. It works well at what it does though, and the air is warmed as well as filtered. Not hot, just warmed.
Old 7/7/14, 06:55 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 1,063 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenGT
not a bad idea if you got the money. I use my leafblower to dry off the wheels occasionally and to speed up the rag top drying. As for drying the body i always use 2-3 new microfiber cloths. I have thousands of them lol
This is my routine as well. The blower is very helpful with the tires/wheels plus water doesn't just sit on the brakes either.
Old 7/7/14, 06:59 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had a black car and kept it swirl free for years. I would use a California Water Blade to remove as much water as possible, then use a leaf blower to remove water from the cracks and crevices. I then used 100% cotton towels to dry the car. For removing dust prior to a show or cruise, use a California Duster. They use a parafin wax infused cotton fiber to lift the dust off the the car. If you need to use detail spray, use it with a 100% cotton towel that was washed without bleach or fabric softener.

Many people don't realize that the microfiber can scratch and you're probably getting the swirls from them.
Old 7/7/14, 08:54 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by scottmoyer
I had a black car and kept it swirl free for years. I would use a California Water Blade to remove as much water as possible, then use a leaf blower to remove water from the cracks and crevices. I then used 100% cotton towels to dry the car. For removing dust prior to a show or cruise, use a California Duster. They use a parafin wax infused cotton fiber to lift the dust off the the car. If you need to use detail spray, use it with a 100% cotton towel that was washed without bleach or fabric softener. Many people don't realize that the microfiber can scratch and you're probably getting the swirls from them.
Good lord! This is terrible advise. If it worked for him great. But I would never use any of the products he says here. They will absolutely induce swirls and my guess is that he had them but just wasn't looking properly.

Leaf blower is decent sometimes. Problem is that electric ones really aren't powerful enough to do a worth while job and gas blowers would be a no no.

The key, and I've said it before, is to use a drying agent. Quick wax works pretty good. But they do make products for drying like paint creams etc.
Old 7/7/14, 08:57 AM
Cobra Member

To add. Detailer and mf is good for cleaning without swirls, but mainly for things like bird poop or small areas. I wouldn't personally wipe down an entire car with detailer. Even if it's just dust. If it bothers you that much, it should be washed again.
Old 7/7/14, 09:03 AM
FR500 Member

Gave more thought and did some research, and I'll pass on the compressor. I don't want to risk a sandblast effect if I get crap in the tank or lines.

I'm thinking about this from Autogeek.....

http://www.autogeek.net/metro-blaster-sidekick.html

Looks a lot easier to handle than a leaf blower when drying water, and I'm hoping that it's powerful enough to dry-blow the engine bay and small amounts of dust on the outside between wet washes.

As far as the swirls, I'm not ready to get a DA and try it myself. I've never used one before and black is a helluva color on which to practice.

It'll be garaged during the winter, so I'll pay for a pro detailer to polish the exterior before I put it under wraps for the season.

Thanks for al the advice, and keep those cards and letters coming!!!!

Tom

Last edited by TripleBlack14; 7/7/14 at 09:05 AM.
Old 7/7/14, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
Good lord! This is terrible advise. If it worked for him great. But I would never use any of the products he says here. They will absolutely induce swirls and my guess is that he had them but just wasn't looking properly.
No, I don't know how to look at swirls. I have been a judge at 1000 point car shows for many years and my own car has earned a 996/1000. My car is a multi-platinum award show winning car at shows all over the country. I have the Porter Cable DA polisher for final finishing and the Flex buffer (professional series) for more in depth compounding. I've wet sanded many cars and polished them up to a glass like finish and I do paintless dent removal, which requires a keen eye and a visual perspective of the paint, orange peel and metal.

Here's my black car that was previously owned by someone on a dirt road and had swirls all over the paint: BTW, this picture was at 44k miles

I just removed some hairline swirl marks from a brand new car this weekend that a dealer had put into the dark blue finish. The owner brought it to me asking what can be done and I took care of it for him. You're right, my advice is bad because it only works for me! You obviously have no clue. 100% cotton towels have been used for years before the new wave of microfiber. What do you think disposable diapers are made of? Many professional detailers swear by diapers. And the California duster? What's wrong with that? It doesn't hurt the paint at all. The Water Blade can scratch if you're not careful, but if you are careful, then it works just fine and has for many years. The leaf blower works great for getting water out of the window channels, taillights, bumpers, etc. Not sure what your complaint is here.

Last edited by scottmoyer; 7/7/14 at 11:31 AM.
Old 7/7/14, 11:43 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts
Here's my story....I've had my Black 2006 now for 8 yrs...after a drive to or from a car show or elsewhere, I begin detailing the car by removing as much dust as I can with a California Duster...if I have to remove some stuck on mud/dirt, I use a detail-er spray or a waterless wash and plenty of microfiber towels. From my experience, the key to almost zero swirl marks is in how you use the microfiber towels--and I say almost zero marks because you will always have a few...good news you can buff them off if you have to. So, back to the point...I currently use a small craftsman air compressor to blow off crap from the engine block, front honeycomb grill, door jams, etc. I never used it directly on the paint.

Last edited by MadGT; 7/7/14 at 11:59 AM.
Old 7/7/14, 01:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by scottmoyer
No, I don't know how to look at swirls. I have been a judge at 1000 point car shows for many years and my own car has earned a 996/1000. My car is a multi-platinum award show winning car at shows all over the country. I have the Porter Cable DA polisher for final finishing and the Flex buffer (professional series) for more in depth compounding. I've wet sanded many cars and polished them up to a glass like finish and I do paintless dent removal, which requires a keen eye and a visual perspective of the paint, orange peel and metal. Here's my black car that was previously owned by someone on a dirt road and had swirls all over the paint: BTW, this picture was at 44k miles I just removed some hairline swirl marks from a brand new car this weekend that a dealer had put into the dark blue finish. The owner brought it to me asking what can be done and I took care of it for him. You're right, my advice is bad because it only works for me! You obviously have no clue. 100% cotton towels have been used for years before the new wave of microfiber. What do you think disposable diapers are made of? Many professional detailers swear by diapers. And the California duster? What's wrong with that? It doesn't hurt the paint at all. The Water Blade can scratch if you're not careful, but if you are careful, then it works just fine and has for many years. The leaf blower works great for getting water out of the window channels, taillights, bumpers, etc. Not sure what your complaint is here.
Geez dude chill.

But just because 100% cotton has been used for yrs doesn't mean it's the best. Foam pads have always been a staple for compound polishing. But the new mf pads give significantly better results.

So you arguing that cotton is best bc it's been used for yrs would be just like people not wanting fuel injection bc carbs have worked for yrs. it's called advancements in tech. And mf is FAR superior to cotton.

Now your skills with a Cali water blade may be so that it's damage free, for you. But to recommend a product known for creating swirls to a crowd of weekend detailers at best is unwise.

I don't necessarily have an issue with the blower or duster.

Now, those awards sound great. Your skills were unknown to me. As a detailer in this forum I welcome your future advise.
Old 7/7/14, 02:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Giving advice on the products that can be used is exactly what the OP asked for. He was asking for advice on using a compressor for drying. I agree with the many that said it's unwise because it isn't designed for that purpose. The leaf blower also isn't designed for it, but because of the lower velocity air flow, there is less potential for damage.

The Water Blade is designed for this removing large amounts of water quickly, and if used correctly, will offer superb results from an amateur or a pro.

The 100% cotton towel is just that, 100% cotton. There are no if's, and's or but's. There are many types of microfiber and most of them will scratch because they are cheap. So, as you said, making a recommendation to a bunch of weekend detailers to use *any* microfiber can be considered unwise. A suggestion of 100% cotton makes more sense since you can't screw up a 100% blend. I also stated that they need to be washed with no fabric softener or bleach. I stopped using microfiber after my car started showing swirl marks. After years of minimal marring and then after one year with microfiber, I went back to what worked the best.

MadGT, there is one downside to buffing out swirls. The manufacturers are applying paint so thin these days that it's very easy to damage the paint or to go through the top layers. You want to buff as little as possible so keep the marring to a minimum and all is well.
Old 7/7/14, 02:59 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You cotton towel fans are forgetting the warning about nylon thread.
Its best to trim the hem off.
Old 7/15/14, 08:25 AM
Detailing Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know I've been MIA (busy+dead laptop), but this thread warrants me trying to chime in to help.

Chances are the air compressor route isn't going to give you what you're looking for. While they're great and come in handy, you're talking about light dust removal. Depending on various factors, it'll help remove some dust, but not nearly all. It at least won't give you that "dust-free" look I'm thinking you desire.

The first thing you need to address are the swirls. You don't seem to be convinced you even know their origins on your paint which is, IMHO, your biggest problem. Is it from the occasional wash? Is it from wiping down prior to driving? Swirls are a sign you're wiping in circular motions, which is a habit I recommend you getting out of. Wipe in careful straight lines instead.

Your budget for quick detail must be quite large to use it so often. I also worry you might be not using the right type. Some quick detailers have more cleaning ability while others are more focused on a balance between cleaning and protection. Others, like Dodo Juice Red Mist Tropical edition, are labeled as quick detailer, but are actually spray sealants. A product swap might aid in better results.

My personal recommendation is to give Optimum No Rinse a shot. You set up with two buckets and Grit Guards like a normal two-bucket wash, but don't need a hose. Because you'll be using A LOT more liquid, you'll have a better chance to safely remove that dust from your finish. It'll require a couple extra towels and maybe an extra minute or two of drying, but that's hardly much of a sacrifice.

http://www.detailedimage.com/Optimum...P709/32-oz-S1/

As far as towel type, while I do not recommend cotton, it is 100% true that not all microfiber towels are created equal. Microfiber is 8x finer than silk, but a poorly made towel with plastic bound edges and contaminated fibers isn't going to net positive results. I purchased 30 of the linked towels below earlier this year as I love them. They're stored in plastic bins with covers, and are always treated like gold (Lord knows they can nearly cost as much per pound!).
http://www.detailedimage.com/DI-Micr...28/16-x-16-S1/
Old 7/15/14, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've been doing ONR washes on my Mustang...first I mist the car with ONR in a spray bottle, then do a palle at a time. I love the results i've been getting.

Last edited by DaGonz; 7/15/14 at 04:06 PM.
Old 7/3/20, 06:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope this article might help https://powertoolsus.com/best-air-co...uto-detailing/