Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Another Hurt Pony

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/05, 02:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems there are three main topics posted: Newborns, Moded, and sadly Injured or Dead Ponies:

Well I was sitting at a red light minding my own business when some guy decided he didnt have to stop. The only lucky thing was that I was the first car, and not in the middle. Lady behind my in a Lexus was really bad off, she hit her head on the steering wheel since the airbags did not deploy when she was pushed into me. Guy was in a Chevy truck and had to be going 50mph, said he didn't look and bam! :angry:

A Week later and finally an estimate, $5200 in damages and labor. Need new bumper, smooth out dents on the side, replace muffler and now the body shop is talking back and forth about the floor pan. It is buckled in and the rails on the side also need to be replaced. So the bodyshop wants to replace the floor but adjuster is saying to just fix it.

So I plan on using the money toward the muffler to get the Bassani axle back, but there are two-listed and not sure which is which. I want the double edged tip one, and not the slash cut. Does anyone know what number those are?

Oh and here are pics:[attachmentid=27594] [attachmentid=27595]
Old 7/16/05, 02:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I would be VERY leary if the floor pans have buckled. It would mean that the unibody construction has been compromised and it should REPLACED, not repaired. I would push for a total... and start over with a new one. Unless your shop has the capabilities to completely break down the car and properly diagnose the full extent of the damage, I would not sign off on any repairs. The least of your worries is an exhaust system. The structural integrity of the car has been compromised and your personal safety should come first...not how much (or actually how little) money it will take to repair the damage. DO NOT let the insurance company dictate what repairs should be done.
Old 7/16/05, 02:50 PM
Cobra Member

The important thing is YOU'RE okay. Cars and even hurt feelings can be mended, but people are irreplaceable!

Sorry to hear about your accident. I hope things are resolved quickly and to your satisfaction.
Old 7/16/05, 02:53 PM
I Have Admin Envy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree...

Insist that your car is properly repaired. I am sure you pay a lot of $$ for you insurance and they should do their part and restore your car to as-new condition. Your car is practially new, so a half-hineyed job is ridiculous.

since the bodyshop will get money for new mufflers, ask if you can pay the difference for bassani axlebacks. I doubt the shop would have a problem with it.
Old 7/16/05, 03:06 PM
9 is not my lucky number.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That stinks man, I feel for ya

delz05 is right about the floor pan thing. If it's damaged the unibody construction and safety of the car has been compromised. Do not accept a half assed repair, do it right. You life may be at stake here.

Which adjuster is giving your the problems, is it from your insurance company or the other guy's? If it's the other guy's insurance and they keep giving you problems, report the accident to your own insurance company and let them fight it.

I've been rear ended sitting at stop signs and stop lights at least 5 times in my life. Every time it happens it takes me months to stop being nervous sitting at a light, constantly looking in the rear view. That's why I got sequential tail lights, gets attention better.
Old 7/16/05, 03:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to hear about the car. Those pics send chills down my spine. Shame some moron has to mess up such a beautiful rear-end. I need to go check on my baby now. Let us know how the repairs go.
Old 7/16/05, 03:39 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by dustindu4@July 16, 2005, 5:09 PM

delz05 is right about the floor pan thing. If it's damaged the unibody construction and safety of the car has been compromised. Do not accept a half assed repair, do it right. You life may be at stake here.

Which adjuster is giving your the problems, is it from your insurance company or the other guy's? If it's the other guy's insurance and they keep giving you problems, report the accident to your own insurance company and let them fight it.

I've been rear ended sitting at stop signs and stop lights at least 5 times in my life. Every time it happens it takes me months to stop being nervous sitting at a light, constantly looking in the rear view. That's why I got sequential tail lights, gets attention better.

i got hit in the rear once pulling into my drive way and also one time by this stupid female dog who pulled 1/4 down my drive way and smacked the rear of my 65....oh i wanted to kill her...but as most people say here is just the repairs done right.... it`s your life your talking about...
Old 7/16/05, 04:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ouch that hurts, glad your okay and I do hope everything works out for ya. As far as aftermarket installs I was informed that you would have to let your insurance company know what you have in order for them to cover it if anything happen (i.e. people with bodykits).

Matt
Old 7/17/05, 08:24 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally posted by dustindu4@July 16, 2005, 3:09 PM

Yeah I already freaked out on the bodyshop guy about the integrity of the unibody now. He said all that is okay, and only the rear floor has been pushed in, because nothing is holding it back there.

And its the adjuster of the other guys insurance, so I plan on calling Monday to see whats up and possibly threaten suit-guy was drunk!

And Delz05 mentioned "total"-that is not even possible, unless there is serious unrepairable damage and/or about 90% of the value of the car and since it is new not gonna happen.
Old 7/17/05, 09:21 AM
GT Member

Originally posted by delz05@July 16, 2005, 2:40 PM
I would be VERY leary if the floor pans have buckled. It would mean that the unibody construction has been compromised and it should REPLACED, not repaired. I would push for a total... and start over with a new one. Unless your shop has the capabilities to completely break down the car and properly diagnose the full extent of the damage, I would not sign off on any repairs. The least of your worries is an exhaust system. The structural integrity of the car has been compromised and your personal safety should come first...not how much (or actually how little) money it will take to repair the damage. DO NOT let the insurance company dictate what repairs should be done.

I'll second that. When the structural integrity is comprised, no matter how good the repair is, it never remains the same. You'll feel it the moment you get back in the car. I' sayign this one from personal experience with my 95 v6 about 5 yrs ago. even though the 05's have a different structure altogether the basic principles never change. Insurance companies will always find the cheapest way to get the job done. At this point it's your hard earned money they're geting so it's time for you to DICTATE them and stress the urgency on this matter.
Glad to know you're safe. Good Luck and don;t be discouraged.
Old 7/17/05, 10:35 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by uofh2005@July 16, 2005, 2:17 PM
It seems there are three main topics posted: Newborns, Moded, and sadly Injured or Dead Ponies:
Well I was sitting at a red light minding my own business when some guy decided he didnt have to stop. The only lucky thing was that I was the first car, and not in the middle. Lady behind my in a Lexus was really bad off, she hit her head on the steering wheel since the airbags did not deploy when she was pushed into me. Guy was in a Chevy truck and had to be going 50mph, said he didn't look and bam! :angry:

A Week later and finally an estimate, $5200 in damages and labor. Need new bumper, smooth out dents on the side, replace muffler and now the body shop is talking back and forth about the floor pan. It is buckled in and the rails on the side also need to be replaced. So the bodyshop wants to replace the floor but adjuster is saying to just fix it.

So I plan on using the money toward the muffler to get the Bassani axle back, but there are two-listed and not sure which is which. I want the double edged tip one, and not the slash cut. Does anyone know what number those are?

I would have to agree with delz05. I work in the Heavy Metal Stamping Industry and Automotive Assembly. Never should you comprimise your personel safety because of and automobile. The structural integegrity of your floor pan/rails has been breached and the body shop/insurers can say all they want. These are held to gether with spotwelds and must pass very strigent quality standards at the factory to insure consumer safety...not to mention when assembling these components they are welded with very tight tolerences.. I would settle for nothing less than a total. Please....be safe to yourself, your family and all of your passengers.
Good luck!!
Old 7/17/05, 11:20 AM
GT Member

I own a body shop and by looking at the photos I can tell the "structural integrity" has not been compromised. Like the owner said it's just the rear of the trunk floor that is bent. If it were my car....I would much rather have it repaired rather than drill the factory spot welds out and replace the floor section.....much better to keep as many factory welds as possible. And asking for a "total" is a joke...the damage isn't anything serious at all on average if the repair cost is 75%-80% then a total is in line (like someone above mentioned)......wouldn't be a problem to repair....and wouldn't be any future concerns about the car to me. Just get a good shop to do the work and will be just fine
Old 7/17/05, 12:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by uofh2005@July 16, 2005, 2:17 PM

suit yourself...you now have all the information you need from a range of sources. Its just to bad that it all has to come down to money!!!!