Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

Acidic bird crap?

Search this Thread

Old 6/29/05, 09:25 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unbelievable! I come out of work today and there is nothing on the car. I get home about 70 mins later and notice a big bird crap on the trunk. I clean it off right away but it's too late. It must have been acidic because it ate through the clear and messed up the paint. I tried everything to get it off. The real kicker is I paid extra to have that paint protection done when I bought the car to prevent things like this from happening. Now I have to go through the hassle of making a claim and having the damage repaired. I hate birds! :bang:
Old 6/29/05, 09:30 PM

Dont know the extent of the damage but did you try a Clay Bar they can take out spots that you wouldnt think that it could.
Old 6/29/05, 10:08 PM
GT Member

Bird poop is very acidic. I believe that a birds urine comes out with the doo doo, which is why it is so acidic.

Black is the worst because the surface gets very hot and the poop just bakes into the finish.

No matter how much wax or paint protection you have if the poop sits there any length of time and the surface is hot it will etch the paint.

My '05 is my 5th black vehicle, this along with acid rain are my two worst nightmares.

If I have mine parked out in the sun I try to find a place away from trees and electric lines where birds just sit and wait for a clean car.

If I have to park under a tree or electric lines I check my car out every few minutes just to make sure a bird hasn't done it's duty on it.

You may be lucky and be able to claybar and/or polish it out if it's not all the way through the clearcoat. Good luck.
Old 6/29/05, 11:39 PM
FR500 Member

yea well i thought keeping my car away from trees and power lines would work....a bird ended up crapping about 5 inches away from my door handle inside the car....i was pissed but luckily i had dash cleaner.....birds love new cars. my friend counted the bird crap spots on his 02 the other day.....10!!!!!
Old 6/30/05, 09:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by blk05stang@June 29, 2005, 9:28 PM
The real kicker is I paid extra to have that paint protection done when I bought the car to prevent things like this from happening.
Are you talking about the "paint protection" packages sold by the dealers? If so, I would highly recommend AGAINST them. They are basically a $$ making scam by the dealers, as I've always been told that what they put on the car won't do a darn thing. :notnice:

Sorry to hear about you paint, I htink a clay bar will take care of it!
Old 6/30/05, 09:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I would - being you already paid for the !@#!@# paint protection - go to the Dealership and tell them the bird poop was only on the car for about an hour and look what happened. You need to stand behind your paint protection - or reimburse me for the waste of money.

They will probably say the poop was there too long and thus paint damage. Bulloney - stand your ground and say it was only about an hour b/c you know for a fact! Either fix it, or refund my money!

That is what I would do. Be nice at first, then let them have it. They may surprise you and send it to the body shop for some magical chemicals etc.

Good luck.
Old 6/30/05, 03:57 PM
GT Member

Originally posted by mustangshadow+June 29, 2005, 10:33 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mustangshadow @ June 29, 2005, 10:33 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Dont know the extent of the damage but did you try a Clay Bar they can take out spots that you wouldnt think that it could.
[/b]

Yeap I tried clay bar and it's definitely not coming out.

<!--QuoteBegin-moc1976
@June 30, 2005, 10:08 AM
Are you talking about the "paint protection" packages sold by the dealers? If so, I would highly recommend AGAINST them. They are basically a $$ making scam by the dealers, as I've always been told that what they put on the car won't do a darn thing. :notnice:

Sorry to hear about you paint, I htink a clay bar will take care of it!
[/quote]

I will never get the paint protection again believe me. Its not as simple as making an appointment at the dealer to get it fixed if you have the protection either. You have to make a claim with the company who makes the paint protection, get an estimate, have it approved, and finally get it fixed. All things that were not explained to me when I had it done.
Old 6/30/05, 04:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by blk05stang@June 29, 2005, 11:28 PM
Unbelievable! I come out of work today and there is nothing on the car. I get home about 70 mins later and notice a big bird crap on the trunk. I clean it off right away but it's too late. It must have been acidic because it ate through the clear and messed up the paint. I tried everything to get it off. The real kicker is I paid extra to have that paint protection done when I bought the car to prevent things like this from happening. Now I have to go through the hassle of making a claim and having the damage repaired. I hate birds! :bang:
There is no such thing as paint protection, it's a bunch of crap and doesn't work. I have 5 years of detail experience and all the paint protection packages are another way for the dealer to steal your money.

Try this:

Use a clay bar first to see if you can get the surface marks off. Next try a scratch/swirl remover to get a little deeper. Lastly use a polish like Zymol or Zanio to bring the area to a high gloss shine and add some protection.

Problem with bird crap is that once it eats through the clear coat it's impossible to remove completely. The above steps will make it less noticible but unfortunately it's still going to be there.

My recommendation to every one is carry a bottle of McGuire's Quick Detail spray and a clean soft rag in your car. I do this and immediatly clean off the bird doo when I first notice it. So far I've been lucky to get them before they eat into my paint and make a permenant mark. Also watch where you park.

Hope all works out for you!!!
Old 6/30/05, 06:34 PM
Cobra Member

I have used ScratchX by Meguiars. It didn't take it completely out, but it gets most of it. Now I cannot find mine unless I catch it in the perfect light. I really recommend the stuff.
Old 6/30/05, 09:29 PM

I also agree with Jim. I keep a bottle of NXT speed detailer in my trunk for such reasons. Be it bug smears or bird crap you dont want it to bake into your paint.