Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

8 Day Old Car -- Nasty Rock chip

Search this Thread

Old 8/1/12, 07:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
8 Day Old Car -- Nasty Rock chip

So my beautiful new Deep Impact Blue Mustang lasted 8 days before some jackass just returning from mudding (or something) decided to cut me off for no good **** reason and flug a rock right into the leading edge of my rear wheel well.

Could have been worse, but still a pretty nasty hit, especially on an 8 day old car!

Anyone have experience getting something like this repaired without a full repaint? Or am I just SOL. There are a couple places in my town that advertise paint chip repair with impressive photos, but that's either because they can do impressive work or have some skill in photoshop.
Old 8/3/12, 03:55 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Depends on if the rock chip went past the clear coat. Did it dent? If its not dented it can be buffed out with meguiars scratch x. Not too much pressure so you don't burn the paint. With a few gentle applications with a micro fiber that will come out. If it went to primer then you needed a touch up.. Whole different process there....
Old 8/7/12, 01:04 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Depends on if the rock chip went past the clear coat. Did it dent? If its not dented it can be buffed out with meguiars scratch x. Not too much pressure so you don't burn the paint. With a few gentle applications with a micro fiber that will come out. If it went to primer then you needed a touch up.. Whole different process there....
Yeah it's down to the primer. It definitely needs a touch up, which I'd prefer an experienced hand to do, despite the cost. I was more wondering what kind of success I could expect.
Old 8/8/12, 08:06 PM

That's good news that there's no dent. Most shops will touch it up and wet sand/buff. (too small of area to shoot) you will never know it was there. You could touch it up yourself and live with it or get the shop to do it.
It should set you back about 50 bucks though.
Old 8/8/12, 08:11 PM

Btw, you should have great results. I used to take my S281 in for chips like that. They used to get tired of me.

Don't let the body man talk you into a full area shoot/feather/wet sand. That's how they rack up the cost. A good honest body man will touch it up/sand/buff.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 8/8/12 at 08:12 PM.