Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

How do you fix /keep from getting wax swirls?

Search this Thread

Old 7/15/12, 03:50 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you fix /keep from getting wax swirls?

I waxed gently, I thought, but now have minor scratch swirls in my red paint. It was the first wax, a liquid carnauba. Is there an easy fix? And how should I apply in the future to avoid the same results? Thanks!
Old 7/15/12, 04:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 776 Likes on 567 Posts
do not apply or remove wax in a circular motion. Make sure you wash the car well before waxing and wet the pad you use for appling wax before use.
Old 7/15/12, 05:33 PM
GT Member

Thanks, Glenn. Just curious, won't applying the wax in a straight line as opposed to circular merely result in straight scratches? I will try the wet pad idea. Thanks again.
Old 7/15/12, 09:05 PM

John: As previously mentioned, car MUST be carefully washed first using the two bucket method with grit guards in each bucket. (Check the car care links). Then, assuming you have done that and have no swirls to begin with, apply the wax with a good quality wet microfiber cloth and remove with a dry microfiber. Not sure what you did to get the swirls, but so sorry.
Old 7/15/12, 11:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most swirls and rids (random isolated deep scrathes) in paintwork occur during improper washing and/or using the wrong wash media. I use the 2 bucket method and follow the natural airflow of the vehicle, washing each panel in a straight line motion from front to back, rinsing the wash mitt after every panel.
Old 7/16/12, 05:29 AM
GT Member

Okay, thanks so much!
Old 8/6/12, 08:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DaGonz
Most swirls and rids (random isolated deep scrathes) in paintwork occur during improper washing and/or using the wrong wash media. I use the 2 bucket method and follow the natural airflow of the vehicle, washing each panel in a straight line motion from front to back, rinsing the wash mitt after every panel.
That's pretty much what I do too. I use several microfiber wash mits, one for the upper part of the car, one for the very lower body, and one for the wheels, tires etc.

I'm a big fan of Zaino products - I use their car wash, polishes and the applicator pads (foam inside with microfiber on the outside). My current car is 7 years old, my daily driver through six Michigan winters where the roads are salted - and in the "care" areas there are no swirls. It looks pretty much like new still
In the event something goes wrong, Zaino Z-5 car polish erases swirls without being anywhere close to being too abrasive.

I never EVER visit touch car washes - wash by hand only, and touchless washes just to rinse off when winter makes hooking up the hose impossible. Zaino polish will repel the threats all winter long with an autumn application.
Old 8/6/12, 08:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best way to get them out is to use a buffer with the right pads and polishes, I use the porter cable 7424 with Adams polishes, here is a pic of my brothers 11 GT race red. And my 06 GT

How do you fix /keep from getting wax swirls?-image-1832478229.jpg

How do you fix /keep from getting wax swirls?-image-4040403817.jpg
Old 8/6/12, 09:48 PM
BB3
Cobra Member

My goodness Zak ! You and your Brothers cars are so nice it's not even funny. WOW !

You two have got to be so proud. The cars are just spectacular. I'm blown away........Bill
Old 8/7/12, 06:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BB3
My goodness Zak ! You and your Brothers cars are so nice it's not even funny. WOW !

You two have got to be so proud. The cars are just spectacular. I'm blown away........Bill
Thanks bill, we work very hard to keep them clean.
Old 8/7/12, 08:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I forgot to add to my original psot... if the car is really dirty, I will rinse my wash mitt between each pass on each panel.

I also dry with microfiber waffle weave towels and following the natural airflow of the vehicle.
Old 8/13/12, 08:50 AM
Team Mustang Source

This is very good advice and should be followed. You may have actually picked up some debris in your applicator pad and not noticed it. That can happen. This is why it is important to have more than one handy.