Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

3M Clear Bra

Search this Thread

Old 1/11/06 | 03:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

I'm obsessed over my black GT. I do a LOT of highway driving, and I already am getting a couple paint chips. I can forsee getting a LOT more in the future.

It will cost me 800 bucks to get the car done in Xpel 3M -- thats the front bumper/door handles, hood and fender and top bumper kit.

I've searched threads on it, and people seem to like it. Would it be a good investment in keeping my baby nice? 800 is a lot of dough.

I could do alot with 800 bucks...The chin spoiler/ducktail I want for one...Just hard to decide.
Old 1/11/06 | 04:08 PM
I Have No Life

I am going to install it on the hood, rocker panels and try to customize something for my front fascia. It is a very good product and beats having to repaint those parts every year.
Old 1/11/06 | 04:23 PM
mhk
Bullitt Member

I have a black GT with ex-pel on it. Great stuff. On top of the hood the edge is very noticable on a black car though. I had it removed because it started bugging me. I now have it only on the front lip (about 3/4 inch) of the hood where you get the most paint chips. Glad I did that. On the bumpers you dont notice anything.
Old 1/11/06 | 04:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

If any of you that have the Xpel system on your cars, could you take a few pics to show us how it looks? I may think about this for mine also. Thanks for the help.
Old 1/11/06 | 04:42 PM
Bullitt Member

I think xpel 8mm clear bra is an excellent product... I put it on my 2003 CTS and my 2005 F150... It works great! I've not put it on my stang though because I'm not sure how it would work with my vinyl stripes... $800.00 seems a bit high.... It cost me around $475.00 for the kit and installation on my CTS at my local tint shop... I put the kit on my F150 myself, but wouldn't do it again... That clear 8mm material is a pain in the @#% to work with, especially around corners... Even heating it up with a hair dryer didn't help much... But in the end, it turned out great... I recommend this product if you do a lot of highway driving... You won't be disappointed...
Old 1/11/06 | 04:44 PM
V6 Member

How would it look if you only got this stuff on the hood? Would it look kind of awkward or out-of-place having it in one spot but not another? How "invisible" is it really?

The reason I ask is that I only seem to get paint chips on the hood my cars, nowhere else. So it would only benefit me to get it installed on the hood. But if that would look goofy, I wouldn't want to do it.

and ... I would also like to ask for some pictures, if anyone would be so kind.
Old 1/11/06 | 04:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well I ordered some Langka. I'll try to follow even further away and see how that stuff works for me. If not. I'll X-pel.

475 for kit AND install. Geezus, I'd be all over that. The kits alone on X-pel website are about 550$. I'd prolly get the fascia completely done, and the first 3/4 of the hood and the fenders. Guess I'll try and find another installer. Not many around here though.
Old 1/11/06 | 04:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by VistaJ@January 11, 2006, 6:47 PM
How would it look if you only got this stuff on the hood? Would it look kind of awkward or out-of-place having it in one spot but not another? How "invisible" is it really?

The reason I ask is that I only seem to get paint chips on the hood my cars, nowhere else. So it would only benefit me to get it installed on the hood. But if that would look goofy, I wouldn't want to do it.

and ... I would also like to ask for some pictures, if anyone would be so kind.
It wouldn't look awkward at all... It is extremely hard to see on the car unless you are real close and even then all that you see is the fine outline of the piece... I can't even find any pictures of my car where the fine outline even show up, but I'll keep looking... If you really want to see what this stuff looks like up close, go visit one of your BMW dealers and check out the cars.... many BMW's come with this stuff already on them....
Old 1/11/06 | 06:46 PM
Big Falken Tires

I drive alot and have a standrad amount of chips......

My MIAIN problem is my chinspoiler......

That things just seems to take aLOT of hits......

Think I might replace it in a few months and Expel the new one
Old 1/11/06 | 07:12 PM
Cobra Member

$647.00 Canadian for the 3m protection on the hood, upper and lower bumper and mustang stripes above the rocker panels. $800.00 is a little high especially in American money.
Old 1/11/06 | 07:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

My friend had an BMW M3 - his car was a bright Metallic Blue. Wasn't that noticable at first, but after a year or so, you could see it from 30-40ft away easy.

Also, keep in mind, when you wax your car, that portion will always look different.

No way in the world I'd ever put it on mine.
Old 1/12/06 | 08:38 AM
I Have No Life

hmmmm, maybe I'll just put it on the front part of the rocker panels were you won't see it anyway.
Old 1/12/06 | 10:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've had mine on the front bumper only for about 6 months now and unless you are on top of it you can't see it. Pointless to post pictures because you can't see it! The bumper piece follows the lines of the bumper pretty well and helps to hide that edge. The guarantee says it won't yellow and differences in paint fade are not supposed to happen. So far, that is my experience. The line on the hood piece is noticeable on any color in my opinion. We tested it and I just could not live with it. No complaints at all. So far I only have one paint chip and that one is on the door.
Old 1/12/06 | 05:20 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by JeffreyDJ@January 11, 2006, 10:23 PM
My friend had an BMW M3 - his car was a bright Metallic Blue. Wasn't that noticable at first, but after a year or so, you could see it from 30-40ft away easy.

Also, keep in mind, when you wax your car, that portion will always look different.

No way in the world I'd ever put it on mine.
Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'd be worried about. I would think the color would turn faster on the "non-x-pel'd" parts than it would on the "x-pel'd" parts (or maybe vice-versa, not sure). So unless you got the whole car done, it would look odd. Kinda like repainting only the hood after 4 years. The color would be off.
Old 1/13/06 | 03:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I will be buying it for my car when I get it. They can also custom cut pieces for vehicles so Adrenalin you may be able to get it custom made for your front end.

Old 1/14/06 | 07:28 AM

I've had the 3M clear bra now for six months and I am very pleased. It is practically invisible but you'll notice yours 'cause you know it's there. Same way your eye sees the rock chips that maybe someone else wouldn't. I use Zaino on my car and I think that it helps boost the shine on the clear bra, which further helps make it even less noticeable. The 3m product has a slightly different peel than the cars finish. Using repeated coats of Zaino has helped make the peel closer to my cars finish. I carefully clean the line across the top of the hood with a tooth pic after I Zaino to get the residue out. This goes a long way to improve the appearance. When I considered the cost of repainting the hood and facia and the hassle of getting a color match, etc., the $700 I paid to get the clear bra did not seem that bad. Got the facia, hood, forward area of fender flair over front wheels, A pillars, rear facia behind rear wheels and ledge under trunk lid done.
Old 1/14/06 | 07:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

They put it on my dad's denali when he bought it, and because the car is black, the outline is amplified. It PISSES me off whenever i see it.