Car Care Shine Up Your Stang for Show Season, Fix a Dent, And General Car Cleaning

18" Wheels - Best cleaning material

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/07 | 08:02 PM
GT Member

18" Wheels - Best cleaning material

So the v/b cs arrived a few days ago, wifey got her b'day present a few late, and the car is so cool she won't take it out unless it's a beautiful day. She waxed it the other day and wants to know what's best for the polished wheels? I searched this site but couldn't find any good info, read the manual, visited Auto Zone and am confused. Don't want to ruin the finish. Any help appreciated.
Old 4/14/07 | 09:36 PM
Bullitt Member

just use the wax that you use on the rest of the car. They have clear coat on them.
Old 4/14/07 | 09:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

As NJJOE says, treat them like a painted surface. I wouldn't use any wheel cleaner on them.

I just wash them when I wash the car (I have a spounge dedicated for the wheels) and wax them when I wax the car. Yes, I have a different can of wax (and pad of course) just for my wheels. They sure shine up nice.

And if the Mrs. is going to get into car care, this is a good spot to visit: http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/. Waxing a car is more than just waxing a car!

Congrats and best of luck!
Old 4/14/07 | 09:47 PM
GT Member

Thanks. I wondered about the clearcoat. We'll use the wax (glad I didn't buy the McGuires metal polish today). You guys are great.
Old 4/14/07 | 10:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

I've had real good luck with waxing them. Washing them with the same thing you do the car with, after your done with the body, will remove just about all the dirt/grime/brake dust. I've never used any of the heavy duty wheel cleaners on any of the aluminum wheels and have never had a problem keeping them shiny.
Old 4/15/07 | 05:01 PM
HNT

Mothers Ball and Polish.....
Old 4/15/07 | 05:03 PM
HNT

Oops, forgot the pic.
Attached Thumbnails 18" Wheels - Best cleaning material-frpphp4.jpg  
Old 4/15/07 | 05:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HNT
Mothers Ball and Polish.....
What's "Ball & Polish"? And what do you use on your tires?

Whatever you're doing, they look GREAT!

To think, I was going to go with the stock wheels becuase I thought they were a nice retro touch...my wife told me she liked these better and they would look better with the gray paint than the stock wheels. She was SO right! I get a lot of compliments on the wheels.
Old 4/15/07 | 06:24 PM
HNT

[quote=davisinla;892550]What's "Ball & Polish"? And what do you use on your tires?

Whatever you're doing, they look GREAT!

'Mother's' brand has a wheel polish that coinsides with their Mothers Ball. This is a red, soft, sponge-like ball that fits on a drill. Put a little polish on the ball and polish the wheels. Once done, wipe/polish with a micro-fiber towel. They have a smaller ball with an extension that I use on the engine compartment. For tires, I use the Meguiars Gold Class Endurance Tire Gel - High Gloss Version. It's shiny for a few minutes but settles down and lasts for weeks! After a few days just wipe the tire with a fresh cloth and the shine somes right back.
BTW - you have a neat collcetion of cars.
Old 4/15/07 | 06:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HNT
BTW - you have a neat collcetion of cars.
Thanks.

You got any pics of your engine compartment? I give mine a wipe-down once in a while, but never really get into it.
Old 4/15/07 | 07:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

HNT - Topher I guess you get an awsome shine from the ball & polish , but I a;most fell over when I thought I saw the ball alone was like $60.00 Canadian ? I'd love a shine as yours , also anyone know of a good reach tool to get inside the rim where the flat smooth part is ,behind the break?
Old 4/15/07 | 08:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by habu
I've had real good luck with waxing them. Washing them with the same thing you do the car with, after your done with the body, will remove just about all the dirt/grime/brake dust. I've never used any of the heavy duty wheel cleaners on any of the aluminum wheels and have never had a problem keeping them shiny.
+! I learned the hard way about clear coat on wheels with my 85 T-bird
Attached Thumbnails 18" Wheels - Best cleaning material-picture-car-3-011.jpg  
Old 4/15/07 | 08:27 PM
HNT

Originally Posted by GottaHaveIt
HNT - Topher I guess you get an awsome shine from the ball & polish , but I a;most fell over when I thought I saw the ball alone was like $60.00 Canadian ? I'd love a shine as yours , also anyone know of a good reach tool to get inside the rim where the flat smooth part is ,behind the break?
My ***** were around $20 US...LOL..Seriously, well worth it. They make an extension for the drill that I use to get inside the wheel with. I learned about it from watching Chip Foose use it. I good waxing never hurts either. keeps the dust from sticking and pitting.
Old 4/16/07 | 12:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by HNT
Oops, forgot the pic.
hey anyone have a good tip on to get rid of the "sticky tape" on the lip of the rim right next to the red dot on the tire. Look at the pic above posted by HNT. I have that on all 4 rims. I don't want to scratch my wheels trying to take this off.
Old 4/16/07 | 01:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by TexasDvlDog
hey anyone have a good tip on to get rid of the "sticky tape" on the lip of the rim right next to the red dot on the tire. Look at the pic above posted by HNT. I have that on all 4 rims. I don't want to scratch my wheels trying to take this off.
Heat it up with a heat gun then use goo gone. Clean the rims just like you clean any paint job with soap and water. I then use Pig Spit to wax them up.
Old 4/17/07 | 08:46 AM
HNT

Originally Posted by TexasDvlDog
Dude?? Why you gotta call me out like that? I hadn't even noticed. I just used the afore mentioned Goo Gone to remove the sticky material.
Old 4/17/07 | 08:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

I had that and a small squirt of WD-40 worked on a cloth, to remove sticky tape on rim , the Mother ball here is 54.00 for the small wheel one and the big one is 28.00 see smaller is cuter therefor costing more like kids clohing. waaaa
Old 4/17/07 | 09:08 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by HNT
I just used the afore mentioned Goo Gone to remove the sticky material.
+1

Just dab it on, wait a minute, wipe. Took me a couple of time.
Old 4/17/07 | 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Somebody on here turned me on to "Wheelwax" this stuff really works. The break dust just flys off, i have about four coats on my GT/CS.
Old 4/17/07 | 01:02 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by HNT
My ***** were around $20 US...LOL..Seriously, well worth it. They make an extension for the drill that I use to get inside the wheel with. I learned about it from watching Chip Foose use it. I good waxing never hurts either. keeps the dust from sticking and pitting.
Finally found a ball with extention $ 24.00 can Woot & I meant to do only the wheels and went the full nine yards Looks Great untill it wants to rain. to think Lordco wanted $54.00 for the same thing ? something wrong there I best fill them in.

Quick Reply: 18" Wheels - Best cleaning material