Europe Post Club or Event Information and Meet Stangers in Your Area

Mustangs, racing history and Champagne

Search this Thread

Old 5/27/05, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a post about a Mustang meeting in Europe of which I hope it will interest you…

I’m standing on the Route Departementale 27 between the city of Reims (France; Champagne capital of the world) and the village of Gueux. A very normal country road where the occasional Renault or Peugeot passes. And yet, there’s history in the air. I can see decayed grandstands, pits, scoreboard and other ruins of a former motorracing circuit. The RD 27 was the start/finish line of the once famous and extremely fast Circuit du Reims-Gueux. Nuvolari in his Alfa Romeo, Fangio in his Mercedes, Peter Collins and Mike Hawthorn in their Ferrari’s, Stirling Moss in his Jaguar and Jim Clark in his Lotus have all won here. Like Jo Schlesser and Guy Ligier in their Ford GT 40 in the 12 heures du Reims.

Europe has more once famous circuits that have now been forgotten. This circuit, which has always used normal public roads, is unique in the way it remains today, some 35 years after the last race was run. It’s in decay for sure, but the remains still have such presence that you can imagine and almost see the racing cars coming down the Route Nationale 31 leading from Soissons to Reims and braking hard at the Virage de Thillois, just before entering the start/finish line. With its triangular shape it was one of the fastest circuits of its time. The first race being held in 1926, the speed record is owned by Sir Jack Brabham, who achieved an average speed of 220.315 kilometres per hour (137 mph) during the French Grand Prix of 1966.

What’s the big deal on a Mustang Forum, you might ask?

Well: early Saturday morning on the 4th of June 16 Dutch Mustangs will be gathering near the Dutch/Belgian border for a 250 mile trip to Reims, France. In Belgium they will pick up some 8 more Mustangs and cross the French border. The destination, Reims, is of course the Champagne Capital, but there is another reasons for choosing Reims. You’ve guessed it: the historic circuit! In Reims some 20 more (French) Mustangs will be waiting for this unique and truly international Mustang meeting in France. It is being organised by the Dutch Mustang & Ford Forum (DM&FF) and MustangPassion (MustangPassion), a French-spoken Mustang Forum.

After an extensive visit of the old circuit, the Route Touristique du Champagne will lead the Mustangs to their hotel in the middle of Champagne country. The next morning there will be a visit to the cellars of Champagne Mercier before returning the 250 miles to The Netherlands.

Like I said: a unique meeting in many ways. Never before has there been a gathering of that many Mustangs from Holland, Belgium and France together. If you are interested, I will post the story and pictures after returning from Reims. For a complete impression of the Circuit du Reims-Gueux in its present state, follow this link: http://mustangforum.marsdesigns.com/Marc/Reims/

Old 5/27/05, 05:53 PM
GTR Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Marc, (french, don't know Dutch!) Je suis desole!!! (and forgive me for my French as well!!)

I am at another show on the 5th!! I will put this on the Mustang Owners Club of Great Britain website. Ther show I am at is a northern one, there should be some Southern owners that might make the trip!

Thanks for posting this!!

J
Old 5/28/05, 01:24 AM

Ok, J

I've posted it to share it with you all. I'm sure there will be a lot of pictures afterwards to show also. (there is a problem now with the picture link in the post, we are working on it)

If there are British (or other )Mustangers taking the trip, they are very welcome off course, but be aware that spring is the high season in the Champagne Region. Our hotel, for example, is booked out. If there's someone coming: gathering between 12.00 and 1.00 pm on the parking lot of the CORA Hypermarché in Reims Nord.
Old 5/29/05, 08:03 PM
Cobra Member

I'm old enough to remeber when they raced at Reims. Those pictures brought back some good memories. Thanks for the memories.

I wish I could be there....