Is Your Car a Sports Car? - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

General Mustang Chat Not Tech or Model Year Specific

Is Your Car a Sports Car?

Old 3/13/18, 09:10 AM   #1  
IB Staff

By Brian Dally

How does it work when you apply internet argument logic to Mustangs, find out in this not-entirely-serious investigation.

Curated Content Editor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join The Mustang Source

Join TheMustangSource.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Ford Mustang fan? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Ford Mustang Fans to meet online.
Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your stang, and have a great time with other Ford Mustang fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Mustang you'll find that TheMustangSource.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TheMustangSource.com Today! - Click Here JOIN FOR FREE

Old 3/13/18, 11:24 AM   #2  

I think Mustangs have the attributes that generally apply to what people consider a "sports car."

Sports Cars could be anything:
Fast
looks fast
looks cool
generally small
sounds cool
two doors
generally impractical
People wonder what its like to drive it.
codeman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/13/18, 12:20 PM   #3  
Bullitt Member

Now let's find a definition of "sports car" that everyone can agree on.
Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/14/18, 05:52 AM   #4  
Post *****

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
A sports car, or sportscar, is a small, usually two-seater, two-door automobile designed for spirited performance and nimble handling.[2][3] The term "sports car" was used in The Times, London in 1919.[4] According to USA's Merriam-Webster dictionary, USA's first known use of the term was in 1928.[2] Sports cars started to become popular during the 1920s.[5]

Sports cars may be spartan or luxurious, but high maneuverability and light weight are requisite.[6] Sports cars are usually aerodynamically shaped (since the 1950s), and have a low center of gravity compared to standard models. Steering and suspension are typically designed for precise control at high speeds.[7] Traditionally sports cars were open roadsters, but closed coupés also started to become popular during the 1930s, and the distinction between a sports car and a grand tourer is not absolute.[8][9]
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/14/18, 10:03 AM   #5  
GT Member

I tend to favor the classic definition, ie. a two seater often open topped especially in the past. Sometimes having high power levels eg. Corvettes,Vipers etc. , but not always eg. Miatias. The old MG's weren't exactly horsepower kings either. What they did and still do excel at is handling and stopping relative to other cars of their eras. You can make an argument that certain models of Mustangs eg. the GT350 especially the "R" version fits this definition. In general though I think that Ford's use of the term GT for the V8 Mustangs is a pretty good description. They have more power, handle and stop better than most other cars. They are also reasonably comfortable for two adults and their luggage for road trips, especially when the roads have curves and elevation changes.
SilrBult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/16/18, 02:41 PM   #6  
Cobra Member

I've kind of given up on terminology and just enjoy my rides whatever they are called. I don't see much difference in the looks aerodynamically between my Trans Am and C6 but the TA has 4 seats (if you can call them that in the back). The weight is about 300 lbs apart and the horsepower 120 HP apart (310 LS1 vs 430 LS3). The GT/CS is like the TA with 4 seats also, similar HP and weighs very close. The TA and GT are muscle cars I guess, yet the C6 cleans their clocks as a sports car? Whatever....I just like them.
Is Your Car a Sports Car?-maggie-valley-mustang-4-.jpg

Is Your Car a Sports Car?-dsc01810.jpg

Is Your Car a Sports Car?-small.jpg
NC07GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/17/18, 04:27 AM   #7  
GTR Member

Well, now you'll get disagreements on if they (the Mustang and Trans Am) are muscle cars or not! IMHO they're your cars call them what you want.
Mustang Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/17/18, 11:05 AM   #8  
GT Member

Mines a sports car that happens to be muscular..
motor12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/21/18, 11:56 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak View Post
Well, now you'll get disagreements on if they (the Mustang and Trans Am) are muscle cars or not! IMHO they're your cars call them what you want.
I call my '09 Bullitt Mustang "Old, slow, and obsolete". This fits my 74 year old body perfectly.
pwd72s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/21/18, 05:14 PM   #10  
GTR Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwd72s
I call my '09 Bullitt Mustang "Old, slow, and obsolete". This fits my 74 year old body perfectly.
Mustang Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/22/18, 11:32 PM   #11  
Shelby GT500 Member

Who cares what anyone else calls it? It’s mine, it’s almost certainly faster than theirs, it’s almost certainly louder than theirs. What else matters? They can call it whatever they want to as they’re watching my taillights dwindle.
kcoTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3/26/18, 04:16 AM   #12  
FR500 Member

My Mustang is a 4 passenger Sports Car because, that's what Ford has on my window sticker
David Young is offline   Reply With Quote