2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang wins Best New Sports/Performance Car!

Search this Thread

Old 12/16/04, 09:11 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't read any actual articles about this years AJAC (automotive journalists association of canada) competition, but i just stumbled on a huge Full-page ad where ford brags about winning this one. Sorry i don't have a scanner, this thing wouldn't fit anyways, but i also don't have a digi cam. Anyways, it looks sorta like this, but imagine it over an entire newspaper page:

Best performance by 300 horses playing a car. LOL!

The new Mustang GT.
AJAC Award for Best New Sports/Performance Car.

Buckle up. The new Mustang continues its rich tradition of performance. Take one out on the open road. And you'll see precisely why we keep thinking about freedom.

I'll post again when they give us a write up. The AJAC has several different categories, like family sedan, best new wagon, best new SUV, stuff like that. Basically a couple dozen automotive journalists from canada all get together with like 30 cars or something. I read one of the journalists write ups, this was after they had done some of the testing but before they had reached a final verdict, and he was giving predictions. He was saying he definitely felt the corvette was gonna win this category. GUESS NOT! hahaha, yeehaw! ::moose::

For those of you who live in montreal or who can get the montreal gazette, its on page A16 of the thursday december 16 paper.
Old 12/16/04, 09:13 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder what it was competing with other than the Vette.
Old 12/16/04, 09:17 AM
Cobra R Member

ya, sorry, i can't really remember, i'll try to find out, but they'll at least tell us when the write up comes out.
Old 12/16/04, 09:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Okay, its all up on their web site:
http://www.ajac.ca/english/?lang=1

here are the winners of all the categories:

Best New Economy Car:Winner: Kia Spectra Sedan LX
Best New Family Car: Winner: Mazda6 Sport
Best New Luxury Car: Winner: Chrysler 300 C
Best New Sport Utility Vehicle: Winner: BMW X3 3.0i
Best New Crossover: Winner: Hyundai Tucson
Best New Sport Compact: Winner: Volvo S40
Best New Sports / Performance Car: Winner: Ford Mustang
Best New Minivan: Winner: Honda Odyssey
Best New Station Wagon: Winner: Mazda6 Sport Wagon
Best New Pick-up: Winner: Toyota Tacoma
Best New Convertible: Winner: Mercedes SLK 350
Best New Alternative Power:Winner: Honda Accord Hybrid

lol, the 300 C is luxury? i guess it can sorta pass.... Canadian Standards, lol

and here's what the mustang was up against in its category:

SPORTS / PERFORMANCE CAR
BMW 645Ci Coupe
Cadillac CTS-V
Chevrolet Corvette
Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Roadster
Ford Mustang
Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG

not too shabby!

They've got a list of all 65 vehicles that were competing in all categories on the site, just check out the link up top.

Go Stang! All the canadian ads will show the little trophy now, that'll certainly give sales a bit of a boost.
Old 12/17/04, 12:17 AM
Cobra R Member

this is like top honours in canada, and its a pretty significant award to win. As far as advertising goes, it probably has just as much sway as a Motor Trend COTY award for canadian consumers.
check this out:

-Almost seventy percent (69.6%) of those who purchased or leased a Nissan Altima in the past 12 months indicated that they were aware that the Altima won the AJAC Car of the Year Award.

-Of those, 93.3% (64.8% of all customers) said they were influenced to purchase a Nissan Altima to some extent because it was the "Canadian Car of the Year".

-47.5% of those who were aware of the award said its purchase influence was "strong to extremely strong".

that means a third of the people who bought those altimas in canada were influenced by the altima having won this award. So it looks like this should help mustang sales a lot.

And its a darn funny ad too, 300 horses playing a car? Much funnier than Chrysler saying "we're gonna take this chance to brag about our car winning the motor trend car of the year...." whatever!
Old 12/17/04, 05:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Way to go Mustang! 300 horses playing a car, that's neat, but that 300C has to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen! I think Chrysler is going to be selling a lot of those to funeral homes.