Old 9/12/14, 08:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad to be of help. Welcome to TMS.
Old 9/14/14, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Agreed.

In the OPs case, his car came with stock BF Goodrich or Michelin. These are standard on the v6 and only different because of transmission. He should be fine with either because they are all seasons.

Yes, The Pirelli summer tires are a death wish in winter. Worst tires ever. However, Pirelli all seasons aren't that bad.
Actually, I just checked -- I was pretty sure the dealer said they were summer tires, but they are Goodyear Eagle GT 18" All Season radials. I'm thinking I should be good? I'm going to throw some weight in the back and see how it goes at this point. Just saved myself $1000.

I have thought of switching to a 19" tire per what comes with the Premium package on the V6 Mustang. Anyone have any thoughts there and what would be a great tire for a 19" rim on a Mustang? I want handling and traction as the primary goals, but I don't want to go too thin and get too much more "bump."

Obviously I'm in for new rims if I go this route and probably a re-tune.
Old 9/14/14, 04:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Those tires will absolutely suck in snow. At least get really good all seasons if you want to stick with one tire year round.
Old 9/16/14, 11:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by eriks
Actually, I just checked -- I was pretty sure the dealer said they were summer tires, but they are Goodyear Eagle GT 18" All Season radials. I'm thinking I should be good? I'm going to throw some weight in the back and see how it goes at this point. Just saved myself $1000.

I have thought of switching to a 19" tire per what comes with the Premium package on the V6 Mustang. Anyone have any thoughts there and what would be a great tire for a 19" rim on a Mustang? I want handling and traction as the primary goals, but I don't want to go too thin and get too much more "bump."

Obviously I'm in for new rims if I go this route and probably a re-tune.

Michellin Pilot Sport A/S 3's IF I need all seasons, that's what I'll be going with. It snows so rarely here that everything pretty much shuts down when it does. This area doesn't even have trucks. Last year I worked from home for a week because that's how long the roads were iced over. It does get below 40 degrees in the winter time (usually around January). But we'll see. I really don't want to change the summer tires unless I HAVE to. I like the summer tires and have driven in snow and ice in Rear Wheel Drive vehicles before on "regular" (what we now call "summer") tires.

Last edited by Critical Mass; 9/16/14 at 11:19 AM.
Old 9/17/14, 05:36 PM

I ran mine one winter with all season tires what i did was when it was real bad put a couple of bags stone in the trunk 45 lbs i think they were . Made a big difference
Old 11/24/14, 02:32 AM

i'll chime in,
i was concerned hubby wanted to drive the ponies in the winter, our first with the mustang..ugh! ..Scratching the paint with the ice and snow, salt and sand on the road..
I kept hinting, "I don't drive much, a few days a week in the winter, take the crv, park the ponies…."
Yesterday he just put on 2 studded tires he bought from a friend who had then one season on his mustang.

He also got a set of chains just in case. Also a bag of concrete in the trunk.

Mostly he goes 2 miles to work on flat road. There is a hill at the work place driveway. Wide and paved and plowed all the time.

So I guess we will be ok. It's the other idiots in their AWD's that think they are invincible and drive like the road is dry that we have to worry about.

If it is deep snow he can take the old '02 honda crv. When the weather is over 32 degrees and we have been in salt and sand, I'll take it to the coin op and hose it down.

once ya have a mustang it is hard to drive anything else…Hubby works really hard, he deserves to take it to work and back, it is only a few miles and if it puts a smile on his face, well worth it.
Our dads' had rear wheel cars and drove year after year in storms and they didn't plow back in the '50 's and '60's like they do now.
Old 11/24/14, 02:34 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Be careful if only the rears have winter tires. Front end will want to slide around a lot with that setup. Don't drive too fast with such a setup.
Old 11/26/14, 06:58 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
Be careful if only the rears have winter tires. Front end will want to slide around a lot with that setup. Don't drive too fast with such a setup.
Sorry... I refuse to drive my 40K car in the snow and salty roads. Its just not something I wanna do. It's now parked in the stable for the winter and wont come out till the sun is shinning and no salt is visible on the roads.
Old 12/2/14, 10:09 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like Joeywhat says, not every all seasons are even moderately great in snow. I've only had my 2011 a month, and I'm finding that the stock pirellis are OK in the 1 cm snow we have right now, but on ice, they're a slippery mess and I really have to carefully plan my stops at lights.

I had a Nissan NX - hardly a powerhouse but I outfitted it with the best snow tires, and it was all for nothing...it was so low the front air dam became like a snow plow, so I'd get stuck even though I had all the traction in the world. Many's the time I had to reverse out of a cul-de-sac!

By the way - that's a good tip. If you're stuck, the low reverse gear might get you up a hill backwards if you absolutely have to move. Like the time I was stuck on the freeway on an uphill icy patch and all the cars at the bottom couldn't stop and multiple MVAs were happening.

So, I'm thinking that when the snow gets deep my Mustang is relegated to the carport and we become a 1 car family for a while. As I work at home it isn't that hard.

And, my $6 solution for traction for the Mustang -- 2 25lb horse pellet bags.

Last edited by Noilly Pratt; 12/2/14 at 10:28 AM. Reason: 25lb
Old 12/2/14, 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Get a set of Winter tires, at all 4 corners and you will be fine. Ground clearance would be the only issue, in the case of snow. We had ice today and I made it in fine, and I have winter tires. I did drive conservatively. I'm mostly concerned about the others on the road, who think because they are in a n AWD or 4x4 then they can drive at any speed in any condition.