General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Why Lower Your Mustang???

Old 7/25/14, 04:56 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why Lower Your Mustang???

I have read a lot of posts from some recommending that others need to lower their Mustangs before doing any other modifications. Being an older Mustang owner, I like the comfortable ride (lower back issues) and not having to worry about hitting a curb when going into some driveways. With the bad roads here in Indiana, I would hate to hit a pot hole and damage the car because it is lowered as well. If I went to a track to race, I could understand the lower stance for cornering, but in my case, I do not plan on tracking my Mustang.

What is the reason a lot of you want to lower or have lowered your Mustangs?
Looks?
Tracking your Mustang?
Other reasons?

Thanks,
Phil
Old 7/25/14, 06:13 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_R
I have read a lot of posts from some recommending that others need to lower their Mustangs before doing any other modifications. Being an older Mustang owner, I like the comfortable ride (lower back issues) and not having to worry about hitting a curb when going into some driveways. With the bad roads here in Indiana, I would hate to hit a pot hole and damage the car because it is lowered as well. If I went to a track to race, I could understand the lower stance for cornering, but in my case, I do not plan on tracking my Mustang.

Looks?
Tracking your Mustang?
Other reasons?

Thanks,
Phil
I lowered mine for purely cosmetic reasons. It just sat a tad too high for my liking, but I wasn't interested in anything too radical. My biggest concern was the entrance to my driveway....the apron is steep and a bit chewed up, but entering it at an angle gives me no problems.

I went with Eibach Pro Kit springs in all four corners which lowered my convertible about an inch, maybe a tick over, and all that was needed was a very minor toe tweak. It is a slight bit stiffer on bumpier conditions, but I feel no difference on highways and well maintained roads.

Several folks advocate the addition of a panhard bar, but I've experienced no issues. The handling is crisp and tight. I keep the steering set on Sport Mode.

Here are before/after pics with Boss 302 wheels that were installed at the same time as the springs on the original 19" tires.
Attached Images   
Old 7/25/14, 07:00 AM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 947 Likes on 575 Posts
Handling, looks, many reasons for different people. What too many posters fail to realize (you do fortunately) is that geography is HUGE in making that decision. If I still lived in FL it would be a no-brainer to lower with all those flat roads. Here in the mountains I wish my front end was HIGHER! I have to use a lot of care here. Lowering would be insane. You do what's best for you.
Old 7/25/14, 07:09 AM
GT Member

I'm somewhat in the same boat. I have a bad back, and I like clearing the parking curbs at work. This is my DD, no track time, but I do like the occasional run in the twisties.

The main motivation for me is reducing brake dive. The first time I stabbed the brakes in my Mustang, I was staring more at the asphalt than the horizon. Yeah, that's got to go. I'm slowly piecing together Koni STR.Ts and P springs which will give me a mild drop, reduce dive, and keep it streetable. Aesthetics barely registers as a reason; I have no problem with my stock non-TP stance.
Old 7/25/14, 07:20 AM
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks?
Tracking your Mustang?
Other reasons?

Thanks,
Phil
Phil,

It's tough-A lot of people these days just want that "stanced" look (or something?) While they're going to help shrink the wheel gap drastically there's many other reasons aside from the look and handling alone. I think the feel that you get being that much more connected to the car not only gives the car more confidence but the driver. Acceleration and braking are also directly affected due to the weight transfer. I think the 05+'s really benefit from them because they can be a little on the loose, sloppy side. The 11+ when driven at 10/10's can be a little all over and I think they really help keep the car on the ground where it belongs!

Alex
Old 7/25/14, 07:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks a lot for all the interesting replies.

Although while I am still here in Indiana I will not lower my Mustang. However when I move south in a year or 2, I may consider it. It is good to understand all the reasons that I was not aware of!

Thanks again everyone!

Phil
Old 7/25/14, 08:40 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
One other point concerns the geometry of the suspension. When you lower the vehicle, you're changing the geometric qualities of several components. The more you lower the vehicle, the greater the effect on the suspension as well as the drive train. It can be great enough on some cars that it will require additional modifications to some components for proper operation. An option for lowering the center of gravity is changing the motor mounts.
Old 7/25/14, 09:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I lowered mine for cosmetic, fully understanding that the inch travel I was sacrificing would make the ride a little more harsh.

Totally worth it.

It turns out that overall the ride doesn't suffer much... but it's only an inch lower. The OEM shocks don't like it much on the bumps, so I'll be getting Koni STR.Ts soon enough to fix that. It's a little more harsh, but not nearly as much as I thought it'd be. Have to be careful over speed bumps though. Stupid speed bumps.

As a side note, in addition to the lower springs, I also upgraded to the GT500 front control arms, as well as the BMR poly/poly rear lower control arms and adjustable panhard bar, in anticipation of needing to recenter the axle (meh if I actually did, can't really say, but I did adjust it after install... stuff happened I guess) and I got to tell you.. the way this car handles, goes around corners, launches without wheel hop, and stops *now* (although I suspect that's more the 275/40-18s she's shod with, that.)

SO. Worth. It. Car is entirely different, and more confidence inspiring. I feel as if the car is safer than she was before all this happened... and my gas mileage is suffering for it.

Anyway. My experience on lowering (among other stuff.)
Old 7/25/14, 09:49 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by K.A.I.N
I'm somewhat in the same boat. I have a bad back, and I like clearing the parking curbs at work. This is my DD, no track time, but I do like the occasional run in the twisties.

The main motivation for me is reducing brake dive. The first time I stabbed the brakes in my Mustang, I was staring more at the asphalt than the horizon. Yeah, that's got to go. I'm slowly piecing together Koni STR.Ts and P springs which will give me a mild drop, reduce dive, and keep it streetable. Aesthetics barely registers as a reason; I have no problem with my stock non-TP stance.
I'm with you KAIN, but i was VERY pleased with the look after it was dropped as well. I have had to deal with curb transitions and driveways and occasional horrible sounds coming from CF hitting cement. I've got a KONI/Eibach adjustable set coming from Hypermotive soon that will allow some ride height and comfort adjusting. It's a fair bit of money for that luxury though.
Old 7/25/14, 11:05 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
I want to turn the corners doing the speed limit. That is why I lowered mine and upgraded shocks and struts. Oh and it looks much better IMO
If you wanted better handling but don't want to lower your ride, I believe sway bars would help in that respect. Also upgraded shock and struts.
Old 7/25/14, 12:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
I want to turn the corners doing the speed limit. That is why I lowered mine and upgraded shocks and struts. Oh and it looks much better IMO If you wanted better handling but don't want to lower your ride, I believe sway bars would help in that respect. Also upgraded shock and struts.
agreed. To the OP, If you decide to change your shocks/struts, that will help, but know that even putting on 1" lowering springs, you won't hit speed bumps or anything like that. You can also back into spaces to avoid curbs.
Old 7/25/14, 01:00 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
If I didn't live in constant fear of curbs and dips in the road, I'd lower my car today.

Besides all the performance benifits, it just looks good!
Old 7/25/14, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
If I didn't live in constant fear of curbs and dips in the road, I'd lower my car today. Besides all the performance benifits, it just looks good!
In Asian voice:

Lower car =good!

Scraped up front bumper= very bad!
Old 7/25/14, 01:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

In Asian voice:

Lower car =good!

Scraped up front bumper= very bad!
As a slanty eyed person, I find this highly offensive. Lol, ok I was laughing when I read it. I have to at least seem offended or I'll get thrown out of the rice union.
Old 7/25/14, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. V
As a slanty eyed person, I find this highly offensive. Lol, ok I was laughing when I read it. I have to at least seem offended or I'll get thrown out of the rice union.
Sorry I wanted to sound more serious. My bad
Old 7/25/14, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry I wanted to sound more serious. My bad
Youuu very bad! Lower car naow! Go kook rice!
Old 7/25/14, 03:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by El Coyote GT/CS

Youuu very bad! Lower car naow! Go kook rice!
Lol. Awesome. Oh and lowering a car is magic. And so is fried rice. Everything is better fried.

Last edited by Mr. V; 7/25/14 at 03:03 PM.
Old 7/25/14, 03:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
I lowered my car for the look, and for better handling. I have not tracked my car yet, but I plan on taking a high performance driving class this year, so I did it for that as well.

Knock on wood, I have not scraped on a curb or speedbump, or bottomed out from any chuck holes. I have not run across any parking lot bump stops that were too high. I do need to watch out for Side walks when I park, they tend to be taller and I would not scrape but hit some of those with my front bumper. Being my DD, I'm constantly on the look out to avoid these obstacles.

I have the Steeda sports with the Koni STR.T aka Orange and they are more firm than stock but not so bad that I feel like I'm taking kidney punches. Drop was 1 inch front and 1.25 rear.

I was told that the BMR springs will give you a lowered look and they are very stock like in terms of the ride quality.

I'm doing the things now that I should have done, or wish I would have done 20+ year ago, but didnt.
Old 7/29/14, 09:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks a lot for all the interesting replies.

Although while I am still here in Indiana I will not lower my Mustang. However when I move south in a year or 2, I may consider it. It is good to understand all the reasons that I was not aware of!

Thanks again everyone!

Phil

The potholes here are crazy and huge. And some of the driveways to get into business parking lots are pretty steep. I'll pass on the lowering. Others do it, and end up with road rash and damage. No thanks.

That said is there ANY state in the country that DOESN'T have poor roads these days? 30 years ago was a different story. Nowadays their idea of re-paving a road is throwing some black tar on it to make it look new and filling in some holes and cracks (that of course reappear within a week).

Once upon a time they'd send the trucks out to tear up the old paving, lay down a foundation, repave, repaint the lines, and not just for a tiny section of the street, but the ENTIRE street. And it would be done in a couple days.

Today it takes them a week to do a **** poor patch job.

Our country's entire road system is due for major upgrades as far as I'm concerned. Even the Interstates are starting to age poorly.

Last edited by Critical Mass; 7/29/14 at 09:11 AM.
Old 7/29/14, 09:54 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Critical Mass
The potholes here are crazy and huge. And some of the driveways to get into business parking lots are pretty steep. I'll pass on the lowering. Others do it, and end up with road rash and damage. No thanks.

That said is there ANY state in the country that DOESN'T have poor roads these days? 30 years ago was a different story. Nowadays their idea of re-paving a road is throwing some black tar on it to make it look new and filling in some holes and cracks (that of course reappear within a week).

Once upon a time they'd send the trucks out to tear up the old paving, lay down a foundation, repave, repaint the lines, and not just for a tiny section of the street, but the ENTIRE street. And it would be done in a couple days.

Today it takes them a week to do a **** poor patch job.

Our country's entire road system is due for major upgrades as far as I'm concerned. Even the Interstates are starting to age poorly.

Without getting too political, our country leaders are spending too much money, IMHO, on things that are not in our best interest.

Chip & Seal roads are the norm around here and that is like driving on a gravel road until all the gravel gets sealed into the tar. That also scratches the hell out of the paint as well. I guess doing a correct repave is no longer needed....However I fully disagree....

You and I "CM" are on the same page on this!

Phil

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why Lower Your Mustang???