General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Why buy a Mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/05, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I thought I would share a Mustang story and why I'm getting one. It would be cool to hear yours.

Two parts:
1. I've always been mesmerized by the late 60's models. Mustang being an icon. And of course, the cool factor. Deep down, I was hoping the 60's style would return. The late 90's early 2000 models were slowly bringing back the muscle car look.

2. On a business trip to Houston (from Canada :moose: ) in Sept 2001, my colleague and I were delighted that the car rental company only had a Mustang for us.... we said, without hesitation, No problem! We had to stuff our luggage in the trunk, had some difficulty, but we weren't complaining, we had a MUSTANG. Our trip spanned Sept 11, 2001... flights were grounded, and we were anxious to return home. We made a decision, with the rental companies lifting their restrictions, we would drive the Mustang all the way to Burlington, VT and switch cars there to cross the American/Canadian border. Off to AAA for a TripTik. Off we went on a RoadTrip across America in an all-American car, during a time when American patriotism was very high. We made the best of this difficult time. I have good memories. We had a Palm Pilot camera and recorded the trip. See photos here: http://www3.sympatico.ca/mattjud/adventure.html . Took about 40 hours and three cars to get home (i.e. the Mustang for the drive across the states, a Quebec plated car to cross the border, and finally, picked up my car parked at the airport for the final leg)

Can anyone confirm the year of the car? I think it's a 2001.

Anyways, with an '06 on order, this car will fulfill a dream and remind me of the good memories of the 2001 roadtrip and American pride. :usa:
Old 7/23/05, 01:00 PM
V6 Member

That is quite a story bud, my storry is a long one.

My story started a few years ago when TNN (now spike TV) started to reare "The Dukes of Hazzard," well while i was watching I relized how much I loved the general Lee and how much I wanted one. Well when we started to look for one, (a 69 Charger RT) we happened to find a '72 charger, in my grandmother's back yard no less. so we bought it and took it to my bother-in-laws to help me restore it. But he was busy with other things and after 4 years went by we decide to find a altinitive. And some how, while working my dad happened to find this '67 Mustng on the side of the road. It was great, it was restored, well almost and we could drive it but the down side was it was hard to so we deided to try again. It was this time we heard about the '05s and how they look like the '67s I agreed to sell my car. but then we heard that they were selling way too hot and the dealers were ripping people off by putting $4,000 extra on top of the price making it a $50,000 car! Well feeling like we were cheated (and we were) we were preparing to reorder the '06 when a friend step up and offer us his car, a '04 40th anniversary mustang.. And the rest is history!
Old 7/23/05, 03:53 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

My Mustang was 17th birthday present back in 2001. It wasn't my pick, my dad bought it, drove it to place where I was working and gave me the keys. Before that I didn't know anything about Mustangs or Mustang history. Once I got Mustang, I started reading books about Mustang history and muscle cars history in general.
Old 7/23/05, 03:54 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Spirit@July 23, 2005, 8:53 AM
Can anyone confirm the year of the car? I think it's a 2001.
Yes the car was a 2001.

You can tell by the black headlights(new in 2001) and also the dotted shading in the front windshield above the rearview mirror (new design in 2001) and redesigned spoiler (new in 2001).
Old 7/23/05, 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ive always been a ford nut and ever since I saw a 1970 Boss 429 on tv I was hooked on Mustangs. All I could do was dream simply because I was young (about 10-11) and my family didnt have the money. Over the past few years ive been getting more and more into cars and I love them. My cousin who has been a fox mustang ever since I can remember is now rich. He hadnt had a mustang in a few years and decided that he wanted one. The one he bought (which we now have) is a 93 LX hatch. He had the car for about a month until he found one that he liked more since it had more power. My dad told him that if he ever wanted to sell the 93 to give him a holler. After a month he shows up wanting to sell it. I had to do a lot of begging but I was finally able to convince my dad to buy it. He says he hates that he bought it and that he wishes he never did but when he drives it you can tell that he loves it. One day that baby will be mine.
Old 7/24/05, 09:40 AM
Bullitt Member

Great! Keep the stories coming.

I have never been a car nut in the past, I think the Mustang has given me the bug. I remember photos of a car my father had, the image in my mind was a Mustang, but my father says it was a Camaro (sigh).
Old 7/24/05, 09:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Jay_n1@July 23, 2005, 3:03 PM
That is quite a story bud, my storry is a long one.

My story started a few years ago when TNN (now spike TV) started to reare "The Dukes of Hazzard," well while i was watching I relized how much I loved the general Lee and how much I wanted one. Well when we started to look for one, (a 69 Charger RT) we happened to find a '72 charger, in my grandmother's back yard no less. so we bought it and took it to my bother-in-laws to help me restore it. But he was busy with other things and after 4 years went by we decide to find a altinitive. And some how, while working my dad happened to find this '67 Mustng on the side of the road. It was great, it was restored, well almost and we could drive it but the down side was it was hard to so we deided to try again. It was this time we heard about the '05s and how they look like the '67s I agreed to sell my car. but then we heard that they were selling way too hot and the dealers were ripping people off by putting $4,000 extra on top of the price making it a $50,000 car! Well feeling like we were cheated (and we were) we were preparing to reorder the '06 when a friend step up and offer us his car, a '04 40th anniversary mustang.. And the rest is history!
Sounds like destiny. I assume no regrets.
Old 7/24/05, 05:10 PM
Cobra Member

Long story, so beware. Back in the 60's there was a French movie A Man and a Woman (yeah yeah, I know). The male lead was a driver for Ford France. The opening scene was him in a Mustang convertible on a beach being driven by his very young son. Great movie, and I told myself I wanted a Mustang.

About 3 years later I tried to buy a 1970 Boss 302 from a private party but didn't have enough time to sell my car and complete the deal before I got transferred (I was in the Marines then) so I ended up buying an SS350 Camaro instead. The years went by and I went the import route.

When it was time to replace my aging 1984 Alfa Spider after 6 years of ownership, I wanted another RWD ragtop. That narrowed the field considerably and I bought a 95 GT vert. I have to say that of all the cars I've owned this one has been the one that has always out a smile on my face when I drove it. I've had better quality quality cars but for bang for the buck the Mustang wins hands down.

Maybe someday I will buy a new one. Who knows? I'd love a Bullitt in DHG.
Old 7/24/05, 06:20 PM
Cobra Member

I was a senior in HS [1966] and was introduced to a girl by a mutual friend who had a 65 Mustang coupe. It was blu and absolutely cherry. At the time I had a black 66 Pontiac LeMans which was a babe magnet.
I loved my ride but there was something about her car that I loved. We switched taking each others car on dates each weekend and of course I had to drive being the guy. That Mustang brings SO many memories. At the drive in movie one weekend, I beacme a man.
I bought a blue 65 several years ago for my almost 16 year old daughter and it was like deja vu when I drove it. Unfortunately there was too much restoration work needed so I resold it.
Old 7/24/05, 07:11 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was eleven when the 64 1/2 came out, we had a vistor come over one day the kids in then neighbourhood of Richmond, B.C., just drooled. I have been drooling over them ever since. Got my first one in 1984, second one last year (98) and the new baby on 22 April, 2005. Its had its first diaper change already (oil change). I can see another coming my way in 2010.
Old 7/24/05, 07:30 PM

My then girlfriend and now wife of 25 years wanted a 65 Mustang for her fist car as she was off to collage in '74. I got to talking with a buddy of mine and turns out he a 65 Stang buried in his garage that needed work. Bought it for $50 and he threw in a set of 66 Rally Wheels. Over the 73/74 summer-spring I rebuilt and restored the old Mustang as best I could on a college kid’s budget and she drove it through 4 years of collage and then some. We parked it after we were married with the intent of restoring it the right way now that I had a "real" job. House, kids, and other stuff have kept me from restoration until last year. Unfortunately the old Mustang is just too far rusted out to be resurrected, so I bought a 65 Coupe rolling shell to rebuild with our original Mustang as a donor vehicle.
Old 7/24/05, 07:31 PM
I Have Admin Envy

The bug bit me when I was 14. There was a beat up '68 Mustang coupe sitting at one of those old-time gas stations near my house. I would ride my bike and look at it every day, thinking about working on it and restoring it. It disappered shortly after. Throughout my teens I dreamed of buying a beat up stang and restoring one. I even set-up to buy a car and keep it in the autoshop in my highschool over a year to work on it there, but I didn't do it, because of my parents objections.

The bug stayed with me, My plan was to buy a new Mustang when I graduated university. I knew that the new model was coming out and was eager to see it. When I finally saw the first pictures of the unmasked '05 in September 2003, I knew the car would be mine. I saved up as much as I could, and here I am, 2 months after the fact, enjoying every minute.
Old 7/24/05, 08:10 PM
Team Mustang Source

My father had 2 convertible Mustangs. A white and a red '91 and '92, respectively, if I'm not mistaken. My uncle totalled the white one on a ski trip and he had to sell the red one because my mother wrecked her Honda and he had to afford to buy a minivan for my baby brother. I remember riding with the top down in Atlantic Beach and seeing that silver running pony. I've always missed those cars and I finally got my own silver running pony in 2005
Old 7/25/05, 08:10 AM
After all these years,
My C/T still sucks!

Because when I was little my Dad kept Mustangs to drive and drag race in. I caught the Mustang bug from him.......
I always adored them, but was never able to get one for whatever reason.......Kids, jobs, money etc.

Then the 05 came along and I knew Hades or High water my time had come to finally get one. Got her for Christmas and have been driving all giddy since then.
Old 7/25/05, 09:05 AM
Bullitt Member

I was born in 1971. My parents bought a 1966 Mustang Fastback in 1965. I was brought home from the hospital in that car and I own it today. So, you could say I was born into the Mustang realm.
I bought my very own Mustang in 1991, a 1969 Fastback it was winter blue with a 351W. I liked it alot, but sold it in 2000 to help finance the building of my house. I bought my first late model in 1996, a laser red 94 GT coupe. I kept it until my divorce from my 1st wife required me trading it in with another vehicle for one car. Thats when I purchased the 1999 GT in my sig.
Old 7/25/05, 10:46 AM

My aunt bought a 65 coupe with a 289 and auromatic back in 1969. I was 10 at the time and thought it was pretty cool. By 1975, I had a couple of cousins that had 69 Mustangs and was pretty much hooked. One had a coupe and one had a sports roof. My first car was a 69 Cougar with a 351, a Mustang cousin. I've owned three Fox body Mustangs, an 80, 82 and 83. The 80 and 83 were new and the 82 was a beater in the mid 90's. After several years driving Thunderbirds (2 Turbo Coupes and a SC), I decided to get another Mustang. Bought an 01 GT a couple of years ago as a 3rd car (toy) and am having a blast with it. I'm now planning the next step, get an 05 or 06. I figure I'll wait until all the hype dies down and get one late next year or early 07. Can't beat a modern version of a 68! It's what us old guys have been wanting for years.
Old 7/25/05, 11:32 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Mines pretty boring:
I dont have one, but for sure I am getting one in the near future (c'mon good teacher loans!)

I was really debating whether I should get a Mustang or something more "practical" <_< I hate that word.
Well, I just kept debating and debating with myself about which car to choose. Other cars in debate were the new Hyundai Sonata, Mazda 3 or 6, Focus, Dodge Man-Wagon, Audi A3, Ford Fusion, and others.
Well, I came to the conclusion that I NEEDED the Mustang. If I had boughten any of the other cars, I would always have the "I could have had a Mustang" thought in my mind. It would have killed me! I wouldnt have that thought about any other car. "I could have had a Focus?" no way.
Old 7/25/05, 12:48 PM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Spirit@July 24, 2005, 11:44 AM
Sounds like destiny. I assume no regrets.
Heck no, I couldn't get a better car even if I had ordered it. This car has white leather seats, a 6 CD changer, a spoiller, costom rims and a scoop.. Not to mention the fact it only has 1,500 Miles on it..
Old 7/25/05, 12:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Well, it all started for me in about late 1988. Our family visited my uncle and at the time he still had his 1969 Mach 1 on the road. It was grey, I think primer, not sure because I was only 6 years old at the time. I remember he took me for a ride in it but thats about all I can remember.

My mother has been obsessed with Mustangs ever since they first came out but sadly never was able to get one. So she kind of passed the love on to me. So I would have all these Matchbox and Hotwheels Mustangs to play with .

Then in High School I had a friend who had a 66 289 that had been repainted a baby blue. God that car was beautiful. He used to pick me up and take me home from school everyday in that beaut'! He sold it his senior year to pay for college.

Knowing I very well couldn't afford a classic I found an 86 LX 4 cyl. with low miles for a steal. So after putting around in that Stang for about 8 months I saved up enough to buy my 87 GT. I loved that car and really didn't plan on getting rid of it until I met Josephine. I saw her sitting there on the lot in all her glory and just had to have her. I got a great trade in for my 87 and an even better price on the 99 GT. I couldn't pass up the opportunity to own a 35th anniversary since they are a piece of Mustang history.

Right now my wife and I plan on looking for a late model SN95 as a daily driver for me and using the 99 as a show car.

I will get you guys further details on the Mach 1 since my uncle will be visiting this Tuesday. He passed it on to his son, but he doesn't have time to fix it up. I am going to ask my Uncle that if my cousin is thinking of getting rid of it, to keep it in the family and sell it to me. Who knows.

Well, thats my story.
Old 7/25/05, 09:59 PM
Dethroned Nascar Guru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After I was born in Feb 1966, my first car ride was in my dad's 1965 Mustang GT Fastback. He sold the car to his brother and I remember how much I loved riding with my uncle in that car. I still have pictures of my first mustang...On my 3rd birthday, I got a red 1965 GT fastback toy car. When I was 5 I got a 1969 toy Mach 1. My aunt got a 71 Fastback in 1971 which I loved. Heck, I even liked the Cobra II as a kid. Didn't care for the Fox body (79-93), but bought my 1st (and so far only mustang in 1996). God willing, it won't be my last.

Quick Reply: Why buy a Mustang?