General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

Where's my BOSS 429???

Search this Thread

Old 2/18/11, 05:01 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where's my BOSS 429???

I'm tired of being patient.....
I was reading a MM&FF editorial the other day. The question was posed (paraphrased here): What's next for Ford in the performance arena? With the Boss 302 at 444 ponies, and Shelby supercharging pretty much everything, what next for stock performance to stay ahead of the game with Dodge and Chevy?
I say.......Big inch Mod motors. Fer cryin out loud, you can get yer Windsor in 427 and 434 inch flavors, why not the Mod motors? I would LOVE a 429 cubic inch 3 valve Mod with tire-melting bottom end, big cams, high compression.......
I don't know about everyone else, but I grew up on the expression, "there's no replacement for displacement." I know that's essentially what supercharging is all about, but I'd still like to see what Ford could do with a big bore, naturally aspirated Mod motor......
Old 2/18/11, 05:41 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
That would be a 7 liter in a Mustang... That's HUGE. I'd love to see it, I just don't think its reality... and I dont think ford has a good reason to do it. The 5.0 is going great, the Boss program just started and seems to have huge demand, The GT500 keeps improving.

I just see the SVO coming back before a 429. (Ford has already "confirmed" it.) Especially this day in age. If I was a guy "waiting" on a Boss 429.. I'd get a new Mustang now, to hold me over the next 5-10 years you're going to wait for it.... and thats IF it happens.

Last edited by codeman94; 2/18/11 at 05:43 AM.
Old 2/18/11, 06:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I remember, Ford's contract for the GT500 runs out with Shelby at the end of 2012. I'd imagine Ford would renew it to continue GT500 production, even if it is SVT doing the engineering, but perhaps they'd in-house a crazy project, almost like what they did with the Cobra Jet. The 6.2L 'Boss' motor that they're using in the Super Duty could easily be stroked out to 429, and according to the Wikipedia, Roush did so for some testing:

Roush Racing field tested an experimental, larger displacement version of the Boss engine code named "777" (7.0 L, 700 hp @ 7,000 rpm) at National Mustang Racers Association (NMRA) events around the United States. The 777 Boss is naturally aspirated and produced up to 800 hp on e85 biofuel.
Perhaps they'll come out with a drag strip, non-street legal car and call it the Super Cobra Jet with a N/A 429-cid version of the 'Boss' motor, perhaps they'll just come out with a Boss 429. Who knows!

Personally, I'd give a ******** to have a Grabber Blue 1970 Boss 429. I might give up a kidney for a 2012 Grabber Blue Boss 429.

JR
Old 2/19/11, 11:00 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by codeman94
If I was a guy "waiting" on a Boss 429.. I'd get a new Mustang now, to hold me over the next 5-10 years you're going to wait for it.... and thats IF it happens.
If anything, I'll find a way to drop in Roush's 427IR......I'm sure the motor will fit in the bay I'd just have to find a harness to wire it up with, or make a harness......
BUT, you're probably right, small and turbocharged is the wave of the future, as far as factory is concerned.........but I still wish for BIG cubic inches.....
Old 2/19/11, 11:15 AM
FR500 Member

427 SOHC "Cammer" - where have I heard that before? And those puppies can be taken over 500 CID.
Old 2/19/11, 12:02 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghost
I would LOVE a 429 cubic inch 3 valve Mod with tire-melting bottom end, big cams, high compression.......
Will this do?

From Street to Strip, Muscle car, Show car, Street rods to full out Racing applications, Jon Kaase Racing Engines INC. are producing Boss Nine replica engines custom tailored for your application. Now you can have the Boss 429 you always wanted in a complete ready to bolt in package! Engines available from 500 to 1000 Horsepower and up to 1500 Horsepower when Blown.
http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/
Make mine with fuel injected stacks:

Old 2/20/11, 04:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Will this do?

Make mine with fuel injected stacks:

YEP.........
Old 2/27/11, 08:09 AM

Blowers -- a replacement for displacement

Seems that the current trend is to substitute enlarging the engine for added hp and tq with a "power-adder," be it turbo or supercharger.

Less weight, ergo better handling, better gas mileage, and significantly more power than the old 7-liter V8s.

Science and metalurgy have made blowers reliable, engine castings lightweight, and chassis able to get all that power to the ground.

The current garden-variety GT is rated at much more power than the old big-block Fords, and then you have the Boss and Shelby varients.

I test-drove a Boss 429 in 1970, the last time I considered buying a Mustang before falling in love with the current GT.

The salesman at Tower Ford was a good friend and he handed me the keys and told me to enjoy myself.

I kept notes in a journal I had been keeping with the conceit that everything I did was of some importance -- the brochures I kept were sold off for a tidy sum when I was laid-off for the final time from Bethlehem Steel.

According to what I wrote, the car went for about $4900, weighed 3530 lbs, about what the current Mustang weighs, and was rated at 375 hp.

The Boss 429 was HUGE: It had been widened to accept the engine and wide-oval tires, and it had been lengthened as well. I was scared out of my mind driving through Baltimore traffic (it says here "cannot see over hood, esp. with that stupid intake scoop, or see who is tailing me with Venetian blinds on the back window.") to where I wanted to wring 'er out, heading north on Falls Rd (long before it became developed, it was a twisty, bumpy backroad that raan clear into PA -- I knew it well from running my cafe-racer Britbikes there).

To say I was disappointed would be understating my reaction.

"Heavy clutch and nose-heavy understeer dispite moving the battery to trunk. Power and very stiff suspension cannot compensate for the weight distribution. "Engine surprisingly soft, at least compared to my Rout-equipped 800 ccTriumph Bonneville (then my daily driver) which turns mid-12s at 75-80 every weekend when it doesn't break."

In short, it was a real pig, though I was assured by my Ford-driving friends that a LOT more power could be had fom the "semi-hemi."

"They are specially made for Ford by Kar Kraft since clearance issues make assembly-line manufacture impossible," I added.

Though the one I drove stickered for about $5600 including tax, tags and title fees, Donny was willing to sell it to me for $4900 out-the-door.

As they only made 1358 of them for 1969 and 1970 they are pretty rare these days, I should have taken him up on the deal -- and kept it.

Instead I bought a brand-new 1970 F-100 with a 390, air and power everything for $2900. Something to haul my bikes when they broke, which seemed to be a regular occurance.

I don't know where I left my rose-colored glasses, but my memories of that era make me appreciate the present so much more.
Old 2/27/11, 08:40 AM
Team Mustang Source

I have a boss429 I bought in 1971 , what "Pony" said is true about all big block high h/p cars in the 65 to 70 era.You had to drive the car and learn it's habit before you could man handel it. That's when the fun started!!! I pulled off low 12 @ 126 mph with that car in the 1/4. As far as the look it was a BOSS enough said. It was and still is a blast to drive!!! The gt500 I have feel very similar to the boss 9 but it has A/C and power windows.
Old 2/27/11, 11:35 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by boss429man
I have a boss429 I bought in 1971 , what "Pony" said is true about all big block high h/p cars in the 65 to 70 era.You had to drive the car and learn it's habit before you could man handel it. That's when the fun started!!! I pulled off low 12 @ 126 mph with that car in the 1/4. As far as the look it was a BOSS enough said. It was and still is a blast to drive!!! The gt500 I have feel very similar to the boss 9 but it has A/C and power windows.
Wow - 126!! Was that a pushrod motor?
Most I've talked to have said 'man handle' too. You turned by throwing yourself into the corner and bringing the rear end around. Massive understeer was counteracted by the go pedal.
If you watch tv or movies that have muscle car era rides you can see them do that.

Last edited by cdynaco; 2/27/11 at 11:36 AM.
Old 3/3/11, 10:07 PM
GT Member

There's a lot to be said for modern tech. I know the old BB muscle was generally nose heavy and slow, compared to what's offered out there now; I owned a '71 TA with a 455...and I thought it handled sweet, back in the day.....
However, I still miss the sound, the pavement baking torque just off idle, hell, just the novelty of watching the look on most people's faces when they realized it wasn't just a run o' the mill small block sittin' between the shock towers. This car Kaase did make, and I wrote to them to see if they'd post some video, but the car's been sold to someone in Canada. Guess I'll have to offer up my own pony to get some proper video. He says this about the install (from Kaase's website) We asked Jon about how the Boss Nine fit in that modern engine compartment. He smiled, Cheshire cat-like. "You could say it just sort of fell in there. We didn't have to trim, cut, or rebuild anything for it to take the motor. We didn't even have to take the hood off."
Attached Images   
Old 3/4/11, 12:43 AM
GT Member

Some bigger pics.....
Attached Images