General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

What are you modifying?

Search this Thread

Old 5/31/14, 11:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Just for the record: Correctly applied wheel spacers and wheel studs will NOT hurt the car. At all. People snap off axles because overpowering the axle's ability to contain the power being asked of them. If you're referring to snapping off the wheel studs, yes, that happens, but it is because the spacers were not accompanied by longer wheel studs, or there was too much power being asked of them. There is a possiblity that the spacers were not hubcentric, and that caused shifting of the wheel upon the face of the hub, and that would also cause the studs to shear off as you launched the car. If you get the *correct* spacers for the application, and the appropriate wheel studs to accomodate, then none of the breakage envisioned or seen happens, except in an overpowering situation, which was going to happen anyway. And now I'm off the soapbox.
This.
Old 5/31/14, 11:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 684 Likes on 347 Posts
One of the upgrades on the 14.

Couple of other items..
Old 5/31/14, 12:51 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
Just for the record: Correctly applied wheel spacers and wheel studs will NOT hurt the car. At all. People snap off axles because overpowering the axle's ability to contain the power being asked of them. If you're referring to snapping off the wheel studs, yes, that happens, but it is because the spacers were not accompanied by longer wheel studs, or there was too much power being asked of them. There is a possiblity that the spacers were not hubcentric, and that caused shifting of the wheel upon the face of the hub, and that would also cause the studs to shear off as you launched the car. If you get the *correct* spacers for the application, and the appropriate wheel studs to accomodate, then none of the breakage envisioned or seen happens, except in an overpowering situation, which was going to happen anyway. And now I'm off the soapbox.
Ahh that's very interesting. I'm not sure if the studs were the correct length or not. That's something I'll have to research. But overpowering is a risk and eventually catastrophe will come about. But this being the first time I've heard anything spacers working you can imagine and understand my cynicism. So forgive my skepticism. But I still stand by the notion go for wider wheels instead of spacers. But that's just me I don't take shortcuts with my car I do it right or not at all
Old 5/31/14, 02:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by seangtcs
Ahh that's very interesting. I'm not sure if the studs were the correct length or not. That's something I'll have to research. But overpowering is a risk and eventually catastrophe will come about. But this being the first time I've heard anything spacers working you can imagine and understand my cynicism. So forgive my skepticism. But I still stand by the notion go for wider wheels instead of spacers. But that's just me I don't take shortcuts with my car I do it right or not at all
If you stop and think about it for a minute...if you bolt a hub-centric spacer to the hub, and then bolt the wheel to the spacer (which has new studs pressed into it) it's literally no different than running a wheel the same width as stock, but with less back spacing and/or a lower offset. Everything is coupled together. If you use a slip over spacer (which acts like a washer), you may or may not need longer studs pressed into your stock hubs because you need to make sure the lug nuts grab enough thread to be torqued down. MM recommends longer studs for any slip over spacer more than 1/4"...