General Mustang Chat Not Model Year Specific

What Kind Of Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/13, 07:57 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Kind Of Oil?

I have always used the Ford Brand Synthetic Blend of oil but since I got this new 5.0 I was thinking of maybe changing it up when I change my oil at 1000 miles.

What do you guys recommend? Mobil 1?
Old 3/4/13, 08:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I just bought some royal purple I'm gonna try out soon as I get the time
Old 3/5/13, 12:07 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
I just bought some royal purple I'm gonna try out soon as I get the time
Royal Purple is beyond my budget
Old 3/5/13, 01:14 PM
Cobra R Member

Motorcraft oil is top notch stuff and does very well in oil analyses that people have posted. you can more info @ bobistheoilguy.
Old 3/5/13, 08:56 PM
Gotta Have it Green Fanatic Official TMS Travel Guide

Received 949 Likes on 577 Posts
Stick with Ford. Why not? It is reasonably priced and obviously made for our cars. Same with the MOTORCRAFT oil filters. That's all I would use no matter what Ford model I owned.
Nothing wrong with Mobil 1 at all, and I use it in my T/A, but I see no need for it in the Mustang unless you can get it at a real bargain price. It isn't better oil. These top tier brands just aren't that different unless you really get into oil analysis and become **** about it. Your engine will last very well with regular scheduled changes.
Old 3/5/13, 09:03 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
use factory oil and filter!!! your nuts!!! you act as if they know what their doing!!! their oil is terrible! thats why their engines last as long as they do!

in reality.. "better" oils are like tvs with 160hz refresh rate. bragging rights.. human eye cant see more than 50hz refresh rate yet they are developing tvs with over 250hz... silly. same with oil. motorcraft oil works... so does royal purple.. you want to pay more to brag then go for it...
Old 3/6/13, 05:28 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by texastboneking
use factory oil and filter!!! your nuts!!! you act as if they know what their doing!!! their oil is terrible! thats why their engines last as long as they do!

in reality.. "better" oils are like tvs with 160hz refresh rate. bragging rights.. human eye cant see more than 50hz refresh rate yet they are developing tvs with over 250hz... silly. same with oil. motorcraft oil works... so does royal purple.. you want to pay more to brag then go for it...
I agree I think I am going to stick with Ford Oil and Filter, it has served me well for alot of years!
Old 3/6/13, 07:45 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Royal purple was 7 bucks on AM all last month. Where's the money difference your talking about? Are we talking about the car you care enough to post here about?
Old 3/6/13, 10:09 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Hadtohaveit'13
Royal purple was 7 bucks on AM all last month. Where's the money difference your talking about? Are we talking about the car you care enough to post here about?
That's a special price. Motorcraft has specials too. Point? Yes. My wore out old stang gets Motorcraft oil and filter. I post it here. I drag race it. Road race it. Whatever. Motorcraft works. So does royal purple. Motorcraft cheaper. Why pay more when Motorcraft works fine? Like my tv analogy. Why buy a tv with 270Hz refresh rate when you can't even see that fast? Bragging rights.

Last edited by texastboneking; 3/6/13 at 10:10 AM.
Old 3/6/13, 10:30 AM
Cobra R Member

There are plenty of owner oil analyses out on the net to back up motorcraft, it provides the needed protection for your engine w/o breaking the bank.
Old 3/8/13, 01:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
That's a special price. Motorcraft has specials too. Point? Yes. My wore out old stang gets Motorcraft oil and filter. I post it here. I drag race it. Road race it. Whatever. Motorcraft works. So does royal purple. Motorcraft cheaper. Why pay more when Motorcraft works fine? Like my tv analogy. Why buy a tv with 270Hz refresh rate when you can't even see that fast? Bragging rights.
Not all oil is created equal, and Motorocraft is certainly not the best.

The Motorcraft is a decent oil for it's price. Nothing special, but nothing particularly harmful about it. It works, but that's about it.

Mobil 1 is not a good oil. For a 'fully synthetic' it suffers from premature viscosity breakdown. It would be fine for your average family car, but I wouldn't recommend it for any type of performance car.

A VERY good oil for the price is Pennzoil Ultra. Because of it's additives and durability under hard driving it's what I use. You'll notice improved fuel mileage, smoother idle, and possibly a bit more horsepower vs the Motorcraft oil.

Royal Purple is overpriced junk. LOTS of problems with premature viscosity breakdown with it. For the price it's simply not worth getting.

The other side is the oil filter. Motorcraft filters are actually very good. Not the best, but they do a MUCH better job of filtering than Fram or Purolator. Mobil1 makes an excellent oil filter that is better than the Motorcraft one, but costs a few dollars more. Royal Purple probably makes the best filter, but as with all RP products it's expensive and hard to find as well.
Old 3/8/13, 03:36 PM
Bullitt Member

So True
Old 3/8/13, 04:11 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
i been using royal purple & a motorcraft filter since about 35k miles(when i got her). up to 72k miles now. i run 5k, change the filter & add a quart & go another 5k then change all the oil & filter again. so far so good. my car doesnt burn any oil. i have no complaints.
Old 3/8/13, 04:52 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Moustang

Not all oil is created equal, and Motorocraft is certainly not the best.

The Motorcraft is a decent oil for it's price. Nothing special, but nothing particularly harmful about it. It works, but that's about it.

Mobil 1 is not a good oil. For a 'fully synthetic' it suffers from premature viscosity breakdown. It would be fine for your average family car, but I wouldn't recommend it for any type of performance car.

A VERY good oil for the price is Pennzoil Ultra. Because of it's additives and durability under hard driving it's what I use. You'll notice improved fuel mileage, smoother idle, and possibly a bit more horsepower vs the Motorcraft oil.

Royal Purple is overpriced junk. LOTS of problems with premature viscosity breakdown with it. For the price it's simply not worth getting.

The other side is the oil filter. Motorcraft filters are actually very good. Not the best, but they do a MUCH better job of filtering than Fram or Purolator. Mobil1 makes an excellent oil filter that is better than the Motorcraft one, but costs a few dollars more. Royal Purple probably makes the best filter, but as with all RP products it's expensive and hard to find as well.
1 never called motorcraft the best just stated it works and protects the engine just fine.

2 Mobil 1 full syn tested the best when i was in college and we studied oils.

3 Pennzoil will never see my engine.

4. I agree with you on filters.

Last edited by texastboneking; 3/8/13 at 04:54 PM.
Old 3/8/13, 05:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Without doing a used oil analysis, there is absolutely no way of knowing how any oil is performing in your engine. Feels good, smells good, looks good is meaningless. Short of spending the $25 for the lab work, I believe any modern synth blend or full synth will protect these engines under normal conditions, and I would have no qualms buying on price.
Old 3/8/13, 05:39 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,621 Posts
Amsoil!!!
Old 3/8/13, 05:51 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustang Freak
Amsoil!!!
That's in my transmission
Old 3/8/13, 08:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
1 never called motorcraft the best just stated it works and protects the engine just fine.

2 Mobil 1 full syn tested the best when i was in college and we studied oils.

3 Pennzoil will never see my engine.

4. I agree with you on filters.
1. It works. It meets the minimum requirements, but not much more.

2. Run the Ford recommended oil change interval using Mobil1, then do a UOA/VOA. I guarantee you will find signs of excessive engine wear. ie, High iron and copper amounts in the oil.

3. Yeah, well, you think Mobil1 is the best, so.....
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2927505&page=1

Notice the Blackstone Labs comments. After 9,995 miles running Pennzoil Ultra in a Mustang GT the wear was about equal to the universal average of other oils after just 4,900 miles. Also the viscosity was still normal, no breakdown in viscosity even after 9,995 miles.

For the money the Pennzoil Ultra is about the best you can get. If you're willing to spend more then Amsoil is about the best on the market, but is much more expensive and is hard to find. You're usually better off buying Amsoil online and have it shipped to your home if that is what you want.

Last edited by Moustang; 3/8/13 at 09:13 PM.
Old 3/8/13, 09:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Which specific amsoil would you guys recommend? I see there is a few options
Old 3/8/13, 09:36 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by Moustang
1. It works. It meets the minimum requirements, but not much more.

2. Run the Ford recommended oil change interval using Mobil1, then do a UOA/VOA. I guarantee you will find signs of excessive engine wear. ie, High iron and copper amounts in the oil.

3. Yeah, well, you think Mobil1 is the best, so.....
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...2927505&page=1

Notice the Blackstone Labs comments. After 9,995 miles running Pennzoil Ultra in a Mustang GT the wear was about equal to the universal average of other oils after just 4,900 miles. Also the viscosity was still normal, no breakdown in viscosity even after 9,995 miles.

For the money the Pennzoil Ultra is about the best you can get. If you're willing to spend more then Amsoil is about the best on the market, but is much more expensive and is hard to find. You're usually better off buying Amsoil online and have it shipped to your home if that is what you want.
lol bob the oil guy... that guy is hated by many.. he is low on my list. thinks he knows all

Quick Reply: What Kind Of Oil?